Rear subframe transplant question

Falcon20x

Does any one knows if a N/A 3.8 or 5.0 sport have the same rear subframe than a 1990 sc?
Can the sub frame IRS section from either one be transplanted to the SC and would the shocks, lower and upper arms, axels, pumpkin, etc.... from the 1990 fit?

Last edited:
My 94 SC and 94 LX look identical although the spring rates and shocks are obviously different since the SC has the ARC shocks and stronger springs. Pretty sure with some small exceptions that the IRS units are identical year over year. I could of course be wrong but I've never seen any differences.

It's official - lol - I'm wrong

Last edited:
There are some differences; the earlier manual SCs had a different axle on the ... left? Not sure ... side to help soak up the shock of dumping the clutch.

The differential, for a X ratio traklok or open, is the same for the 8.8" (the NA 3.8 may have a 7.5).

The rear diff mount has one part number; if you're doing a real build, you'd probably want to do something about it anyway instead of run factory.

The actual part number may be different, but they will swap.

If you're going to take the 3.8NA/5.0 into your SC, I'd suggest a bit of beefing up and some careful welding; here's some suggestions: http://www.tccoa.com/articles/mn12how-to/irs/irs.html

RwP

Yes, the subframe itself is the same, and all the other components would swap over. A MarkVIII also has the same subframe, so you can grab one out of one of those too.

Back