Sucking sound from gas tank

Matt_aka_Dale

SCCoA Member
The noise happens every once in awhile but usually is heard when car is in the 'on' position and fuel level is lower than 1/2. Also can smell gas. When the fuel pump was done, I did put a new o-ring on, so hopefully that's not the cause of the smell.

Any thoughts?

Can you say if the gas smell is worse at the front or the rear of the car?

Any work you know of done to the vapor recovery tank/system inside the right front fender near the air snorkel?

Any codes thrown?

No known codes. I doubt anyone has messed with the canister and lines.

The gas smell is well know from the rear. When i'm driving, sometimes I can smell it when the sunroof is open.

No fuel drips on the ground when parked?

Checked the plastic lines for leaks/splits near the fuel filter, back to the tank?

Happening when less than 1/2 full sounds like a vapor issue vs. raw leak, maybe. If it were raw and around the pump, it should be worse when full, I'd think.

Could be anywhere in the system if it's vapor...

Pull the vacuum line off the fuel regulator and see if it's wet.

How long ago was the pump done?

Have any trouble then reconnecting the filler and vent lines at the tank?

It's somewhat common for the short, soft, rubber line that connects the nylon vapor return line to the metal line coming off of the hat, to dry-rot and split.

Check the cross over hose at the rear of the tank. It's above drive loop. I've seen those crack and have loose or broken clamps.

Hey Matt,

Welcome to the heart of the rust belt! I'm up north of you in Cleveland, GO CAVS!

But seriously, I'm suprized the plastic lines failed. Any evidence that they were hit or pinched by road debris or jack/stands? I've repaired 3 or 4 STEEL lines ( rustbelt joke^), and in fact have a hoopty in need of the repair now :rolleyes: As KMT pointed out the repair stuff is ava, and pretty easy. I pick it up at my local Federated store, I believe S,U,R&R is the name of company marketing it. It has 2 styles of fitting, a VERY easy to work with compression splice that is removeable/reusable, and a barbed nipple that is a little less so. It requires a clamp like press tool that the store may or may not loan, I would NOT try this style without the tool. They say just soak line in hot water then press in. I don't buy that. The compression couplers r great and I've never had a problem with them. Just make sure you inspect and find the best place to remove any and all damage.

Good luck

Adam

As usual, this forum is top notch. Appreciate the help guys. Just love the 'fix one thing and something else breaks' curse :rolleyes:

I'm suprized the plastic lines failed.

I've had less than positive results w/the white tubing when exposed to fuel and heat over time. I don't recommend it for anything but water, air/vacuum and sheathing for wire bundles.

Never seen the white stuff. I was getting black, supposed to b designed 4 fuel. Have access to a real "slippery" feeling blue hose at work used 4 industrial air, but was un able to find anything about fuel exposure. Decided THAT was a bad idea :cool:. The couplings however were the very same as parts store stuff :D

Adam

Never seen the white stuff.

I brought it up as it seems that's what was used as a previous 'repair' in the photo, I think. But yes, aftermarket hard black should be = OEM. Always best to check compatibility, as you did ;)

I think both will work, as long as they are installed correctly. I'd prefer brass barbed, tho.

As an alternative to the compression fittings, there are fittings that just push on and lock, that may work too. I like using them, but I haven't tried against 50 psi fuel.

I also don't believe the leaking line is pressure since it doesn't go straight to the fuel filter, but past it and farther up. Will double check that when I get home. And check the size.

Back