Spindle swap question

Matt_aka_Dale

SCCoA Member
What do I need to do here.

I'm in the process of doing the spindle swap and I noticed something. The newer spindles don't have the same abs connectors as the stock abs. Two different style abs sensors.

Should I cut the connectors and splice the correct ones on or try something else?

Fortunately I have great soldering skills.

Vs. crimping, good on you. Be sure to also seal properly - nothing like moisture and corrosion in the wiring to foul ABS sensor accuracy. I'm chasing that issue now on another Ford product, and the TSB recommends replacing the sensor, which by default insures a fresh connector, at least on that side of the circuit. Symptom is a random ABS light, with no loss of braking function, that goes away with a restart. The poor ABS computer must get confused easily ;)

BTW, it is possible to adapt a newer style sensor harness, but it seems a pain to go that far given how hard it is to reach the other connection on the body.

Last edited:
Setback after setback

Once again, I've hit a snag.

1. The shims on the caliper bracket are rubbing on the rotor. Which could be a possible easy fix.
2. The rotors don't fit well against the center of the hub. I can hold it on with the lug nuts, but it is out-of-round.

As far as I know, the spindles and hubs are '93.

IMG_20170503_204949.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning

Make sure the hub is matched to the year specific rotor. http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?35654-Difference-between-LX-and-SC-front-rotors

I know you need the 1993 larger spindle to install the larger rotors but stranger things have happened. Like not taking in account of the hub assembly.

I ran into this problem with a 1991 SC. The drive side rotor and hub matched but the passenger did not. It had a 1990 hub with a 1991 rotor. At that time I was unaware of the differences.

The unbalance not only snapped the wheel studs/lug nuts but "chewed up" the wheel stud holes something badly. Hard lesson learned. Check you wheel holes immediately and professionally repair them if necessary.

Good Luck.

Find a website that sells rotors and shows measurements/specs. Take notes and confirm the ones you buy/install match. They may look the same, but the height of the hat and position of the rotor may not match your install.

Back to the brakes

Well looks like it's time to replace the accumulator.

Why? Well every time I press the pedal, the pump kicks on. If I press it light, no lights come on. But if I press it quickly, the brake lights come on until the pressure is back up. Yes, I have bled the brakes multiple times. After a quick search through the forum, I found my answer. "A bad accumulator will cause the pump to cycle every time the brakes are applied resulting in pump failure due to overheating."-LJGriggs

Back