Fuel Pump Sending Unit Recommendations

TBirdJKC

Last summer I installed a Stealth 340 fuel pump to support my upcoming mods. After reassembly, I noticed my fuel gauge never dropped below 1/4 tank. I assumed I must have accidentally spun the sock while putting the assembly back in the tank and it was keeping the float from dropping all the way. I recently discovered this is not the case and the sending unit must be bad.

Is there a way to rebuild these or is it best to just replace? I have the stronger stainless version that I believe came on late 93's on. If I have no choice but to replace, who makes the best quality product? Is a used one better quality than aftermarket new?

I've had good luck with airtex pumps, but that might be a little expensive considering you will be throwing away the pump part.

Good evening

When I run into this problem the tank has to dropped for troubleshooting. Ohms check the sender to gauge. The limit readings (high - low) can be found on line and or repair manuals. There could be a problem with the sender harness. The age of the cars makes this problematic especially at the harness connector sender at the top of the tank. During installation it is not hard to take a sometimes semi-rigid harness and have it pinch against the body when installing the tank. Check the sending unit rod to float. Sometimes when installing the pump assembly the rod/float can bump against the tank baffle slightly bending the angle. I put more force than necessary during my first installation. Something you wouldn't notice until you compare a suspect to a replacement unit. If a sender is what you need order a replacement pump sender and transfer your pump or go to your favorite salvage yard remove a low mileage 1996-1997 unit with the harness and transfer your pump.

This was my experiences with a 1989 LX.

Good Luck.

Back