Rpm's while in drive not holding steady all the time

BossII

So i have a weird issue with my car. When sitting at a stop light idling the car will sometimes drop the rpm's down to about 500 then go back up the 600-650 normal range it's an automatic. Doesn't do it all the time, when putting it park and reverse etc it will sometimes drop. I have done some research about this issue and from what i can tell it might be the connectors for the distributor module thing. I also tried seeing if it was an issue with the computer not setting the idle relearn properly it kinda seemed to help to do that procedure.

Anyways i'm a little stumped what the problem could be.

Also another question, The odometer was replaced in the car, i figure one of two things. Odometer went bad or the rear gears were swapped. I noticed compared to my 89 it seems to tack a little higher when going down the highway maybe 2-300 more. The trans does have a shift kit and a bigger stall converter. The previous owner (older fellow who had a stroke) i bought the car off of didn't have any work receipts with the car. So either he forgot about them or he never got them from the previous owner. The car does have front sub frame connectors and the air silencer removed, so who ever had the car knew what they were doing. I'm going to try to find the previous owner so i can figure out some history.

The 89-93 autos came with 3.27 rear gears, 5-speeds w/2.73...tach will read a little higher on an stock auto vs 5-speed.

Idle dipping is normal when some events occur...doesn't almost die or anything does it?

Back