Is there a Cooling Puller Fan Motor Replacement how to?

rickbtbird

I just replaced my puller fan with a used backup I had in stock due to no low speed. Cooling Puller Fan no longer available yet I can order a replacement motor. Is there a Cooling Puller Fan Motor Replacement how to?

Yes, but...

I think AutoZone is or has been one source, but you need to pay attention to the shaft length, apparently. Otherwise it should be pretty straight forward, especially since the failed motor/fan/shroud is already off the car.

Remove the fan from the motor (pull the clip?), the motor from the shroud, then measure both the fan motor body height, and the length of the shaft.

See this previous thread w/AZ link (late model example) http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthr...or-fan-motor-failure-amp-replacement-thoughts

Note the new motor doesn't come w/factory connector, so it's on you to mate things up - be sure to do a proper wiring job since the fan pulls heavy current loads.

Good luck.

Ken

Last edited:
Rock Auto stocks one too, but its a single speed model. Instructions are included in the box.. its rather simple. You'll be more challenged with removing the fan+shroud and reinstalling it w/o having to drain the radiator and remove the top hose. :D Its a tight fit, but can be done w/o damaging anything if you work carefully.

Here's the autozone link.

Last edited:
Yup, I found the motor is available at Autozone Part Number: PM9003.

My issue is getting the fan off the motor spindle without destroying it. Then getting it lined up so the spindle crossbar install into recessed grove. By now you can tell I've seen one disassembled before.

I'm thinking the one I have, there's corrosion buildup because it's jammed onto the spindle. I'll work on getting it loosened up and cleaned up. Some rust remover and thin oil might help here.
Before removing it making some kind of alignment marks could help.

Reassembling might take a little trick I haven't figured out yet but here's my thoughts. Besides the alignment marks I previously mentioned, I could refrigerate or freeze the motor over night to help shrink the spindle and then put a hair drier or heat gun on the metal insert inside the fan to help reassemble so the ease of installing and alignment of the crossbar won't be such a hassle.

Hopefully I'll have time to attempt this in the next two weeks or so.

As I recall, I unbolted the motor, removed the flat spring clip, dropped in a couple of drops of oil, then held it up in the air somehow, and pounded just the shaft with a socket driver handle and hammer until the motor fell off onto the floor (or was it my foot). I think I needed a 3rd arm to accomplish this feat.. ;) Installation didn't require any special effort. The new clean parts just slid back together. :D

Last edited:
Hopefully I'll have time to attempt this in the next two weeks or so.

Well, letting some WD-40 etc. soak in during that time can only help ;) Might turn out to be a simple effort...be sure to not show fear - they can smell that.

Good luck and keep us posted, thanks.

Ken

I couldn't get the fan past the top of the spindle. I ended up cutting it off with a cutting air tool and then suspending it and used a punch and hammer to tap it out. Autozone has free shipping on the motor with lifetime warranty $69.99 plus tax so I ordered one shipped to me.

Last edited:
The fan motor was installed last night. It took me all of 30 seconds to bolt it in and another 20 to secure the fan on the motor spindle. When I tested it off the car I can't say for sure but it does appear that the new motor has much more power then the previous two I had prior. For those of you that are having heat related issues, for about $70.00 installing a fan new motor could help.

When I get time this week I'll likely replace the backup fan I installed two weeks ago with this one. I'm expecting positive results.

Both speeds testing good.
Can you hear the difference between the 2 speeds? The aftermarket fans normally combine the wiring so that either high or low speed wire will run the fan.. but.. its the same speed.

My replacement seems strong as well, but it runs at just 1 speed. I know this because I wired in a 3 position DPDT rocker switch into the dash, that allows me to pick EEC-Lo-Hi. I also wired in an LED indicator so that I can tell when the fan is actually running. :cool:

You could be correct about this. This is going to require more investigation.

I noticed this was speculated here before - some saying that two wires means two speeds [ http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?126373-cooling-fan-motor ], but...one site with specs on model VDO PM254 says one. Please confirm if you can, thanks.

I think by example, the OEM fan lights both circuits when hi is on. In my off-car testing of a stock assembly some time back, it was easy to detect the difference between them in any case.

New fan working as expected

I'm thinking the relay also controls speed. Installed the fan this morning. Hooked up the diagnostics on the two plug port and the puller fan kicked on, first low speed, then high speed, and then the pusher fan came on. So this is working as expected. Took a 20 mile ride and the heat gauge reacted about the same as the last working fan I had installed. The OST said 89°F. It could be a bit better response but, that just a judgment call. I'll test again in the heat of August. The $70.00 fan motor seems to be good for my car. BTW it's a 95 5spd. If memory serves me correct earlier SC model years the fans are a different design. Years 89-93 for sure. 94 might be the same as the 95.

Back