Tuning 90 AOD

james5275

Following the excellent guidance the on the forums for years, I finally picked up some hardware and software. Looking forward to the challenge. I absolutely welcome comments and input, will do my best to refrain from melting pistons and throwing rods.

And if anyone is looking for some side $$$, I'm open to your advertising and assistance. I really don't want to do something stupid.

JJ

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 398
Congrats man!

If you take your time and learn it, it may be the most rewarding thing you have ever bought for your SC. :)

Strategies

First issue, finding the strategy. Sounds like Fturner, Sailor Bob, and Maybe XR7Dave may have them. Figured I would put this up here for anyone else getting in.

Strategy: 90' auto= GURE
BIN= C0S

Among many free strategies, the GURE isn't one of them. Can any of you guys help me out? I understand these aren't free.
Sending PM's.

Thanks,
JJ

David and the guys at PAS, and EEC analyzer.net got me up and running. Had a couple minor issues, David got me the factory tune details and then I had to install USB drivers for the QH. Did my first datalog last night, this stuff is great!!!

Played with the idle and fan speed settings, this thing is extremely cool. For anyone getting into this, signing up for eectuning.net is an absolute must, ton of good info there. There's still excellent support for tuning between numerous websites and forum members.

My short term goal is to give it more midrange fuel or reduce timing, engine pings under heavy midrange load. It's nice to learn something new, this has been on my bucket list since the early 2000's. Thanks to everyone that has helped!!!

JJ

Maybe I should start another thread. Coming along nicely. Played with idle and fan settings, starting to get an understanding. Moving on to the goal: tune to prevent detonation/pinging.

In my research it appears that the first major steps are injector and maf settings. Starting with injectors because they are not original. Late model ford 36lb are installed. The ecu needs to know what it has to work with right???

I found injector slopes and breakpoints for these injectors on efituning.com. When entering the values in BE many of them round to another close number. The low (which I think is the bigger number) seemed to have a max value defined, I couldn't get it to go all the way to my exact number. Is this normal? I'll plug in the change and run tomorrow, see what happens. The final slope has a very close shape to the original cal.

Thanks,
JJ

Your EEC operates in hexidecimal but your GUI is in decimal, so every number you see is subject to conversion. They will rarely be exact.

Ok thanks, I did see some discussion on those numbers but never saw an explanation. Drove the car today, afr's were substantially better but didn't datalog. AFR down to about 15 idle from 16-17. Consistent 12-high 11's with high load. Still had a very slight ping but nowhere near as bad which is awesome. Moving on to maf curve. I've read a lot of decipha's posts on tuning with LAMBESE.

JJ

You don't tune part throttle looking at AFR, you should be looking only at fuel trims. Full throttle or anytime open loop actual AFR needs to match commanded. No excuse for accepting anything else! lol

Consider +/- 5% on fuel trims to be goal for now, and open loop AFR within 0.2 +/- as a starting point.

Ok thanks David, I just saw your response as I came back to post a pull. Learning boat loads every day. Played with MAF transfer, I can definitely see the car respond to AFR at WOT, but this is all by recollection. Made my first pull through the first 3 gears today and wanted to post results. I downloaded the innovate software today but didn't log yet.

1st gear is crap, no traction, as you all know she wont hit OD at WOT, so we have 2nd & 3rd. I'm mainly focusing on WOT since the engine has all of the add ons for air. Late blower, pulley, double IC, etc. Want to be sure the injectors and pump are keeping up.

I'm thinking we want to watch LAMBSE correct? How am I doing so far?

Moving on to trims next. Any complaints keeping this thread alive? Considering taking this over to the EEC forum if I'm posting too much junk.

Thanks,
JJ

Attachments

• Pull 1.jpg
    Pull 1.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 230
Back