new engine wont start?

tondog

bad dis?

bought a reman from ford. had the heads p&p. stiffer springs, roller rockers, matched intake manifold. i got a bigger sc top, ported inlet plenum to match 75mm tb, 3in intake tube, 76mm c&l maf, 9in k&n filter, new radiator. then i bought some new sensors. i got a new crank sensor, cam sensor, tps sensor, new plugs and wires(motorcraft), new injectors 42lb.
at first when i tried to start it wanted to, but then it just started cranking slowly. i recharged the battery. tried it again and the same thing happened. i know the timing is right because i used the positioning tool. could i have a bad dis?

Last edited:
a bad dis doesnt generally cause a no start condition, is your upshift light on while cranking? it sounds like you could have a crank sensor problem.

nope, no upshift light. just the anti lock, parking brake, and seat belt lights are on. if i let it sit for a minute or two it pops a couple of times like its trying to start but then it just keeps cranking.

well it seems to crank ok. i did notice a plug from a harness on the passenger side that isnt pluged in and there doesnt appear to be anything to plug it into.

well, its a fairly big connector considering its only got three wires going to it. its right above a round cylinder that looks like maybe its a dryer for the ac or something.

does it come out of the same harness as the one for that a/c canister? if so it is for the bmap sensor. should be right above it.
it's a black sensor.shuold be a blue wire,black wire and a peach colored wire.

Last edited:
yeah, it is in the same harness. so what does it plug into. i dont know how the timing could be off. i used the positioning tool and got it as close to 30 degrees as possibe.

This may just be a shot in the dark. But I redid my whole engine compartment. P&P Blower, 90mm mafs, 85mm throttle body. Most importantly for you information, I did my 42 lb injectors. Let me tell you, this thing was a son of a bitch to start. I had to pop my sensor on the left side of my trunk compartment to stop the fuel from being delivered in order to get her to turn over..... Before I knew to pop the sensor and stop the fuel, the starter seemed to be dying. But it was only because there was soooo much fuel being dumped by the 42's that it was too much pressure for the starter...

BTW - in the mean time, when I did get it started and it ran sooo bad in the few minutes I had it running, it melted the cats right out my tail pipes....

So, I guess what I'm getting to is that I needed a chip or eec tuner in order to regulate the amount of fuel being dumped by the injectors in order to get her running..

Do you have something to regulate it? If not, that may be the only problem you have buddy.

Anthony

i thought that the fpr and the sampling tube in the maf would regulate the amount of fuel. i dont have an eec tuner. i bought a new battery last night and that seemed to help it turn over easier, but still no start.

yea same thing here, with larger injectors had to floor the gas and crank it for 10 seconds at a time for quite a while, stupid computer wasnt used to it:D

on the fire wall there should be a black sensor with a little gray plastic thing that looks like it should have a vacum line on it. if you don't have this get one and plug it in.bmap sensor measures the barometric pressure.
joe

The first time I had the engine out of my car it did the same thing. What I found wrong was the firing order in the manual I had was wrong. You might want to check it. From standing in front of the car looking at the coil pack it should be.

I could be wrong but it won't hurt to check it.
Rodney

I had a starting problem with my new engine also. I read in the posts that the firing order was wrong on the coil so I switched the wires, still no start. After I found I had some broken spark plugs and replaced them it still wouldn't start. I switched them back according to the manuals (Haynes, Mitchels, Chilton's all said the same thing) and it runs great now.

Here's how mine are hooked up:

Standing in front of car looking at coil pack

Is this how everyone else has them?

Here is a suggestion

I'm not sure what you all had done with the heads. When my dad had the heads cut and surfaced on one of his sc's it did not start after putting it back together. It would pop every once and a while but no start. It seemed like the timing was off. It had fuel and spark but no start. We found out that with the heads being cut the compression was way low. He put shims under the rockers to fix this and it started right up. So just an easy to check suggestion. Check to see if your compression is ok.

Back