Problem:Car is revving up when put in park.

Nkuk35

So just today my 1990 cougar xr7 has started to rev up from normal idle to 2500 to 3000 rpm when i put it in park. I also don"t have to give it any throttle from 0-35mph. Can anybody tell me what is wrong. I looked to see if the car has a TPS Sensor and when i looked up A TPS Sensor on the Auto zone and Advanced Auto Parts websites nothing came. Does that mean the car is drive by cable. Please let me know what is going on and how to fix it.

Your IAC is likely to blame. Its the assembly straddling the throttle plate that controls the amount of bypass air and hence the idle speed. You need a new one.

I agree that it sounds like the IAC valve. When you shut it off does it make a sound that sounds like a honking goose is under the hood ?

David

You'd probably better off with an original Motorcraft TPS that still works over an aftermarket new one.

The IAC will take care of the problem. ;)

I agree...I've seen several of the aftermarket ones that didn't work properly. You can usually pick up a good used one for $15 to $20 in the classified forum.

David

replaced the TPS sensor waiting for the IAC Valve. I received and email last night from partsgeek.com that they don't have the part in stock. Just a waiting game now.

Back