Power window issue

91BlackSC

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a 1991 SC and brought it home late this evening. My son rolled the driver window down, and, now it will not go back up. I took the door panel off and tried using the switch, but, it seems as if nothing is happening it all. No noise, no nothing. Any of you possibly have an idea of what it may be? Things I can check or do?

Sorry if this may be something easy to some of you, but, I am just getting back in to the SC world after about 8 years or so.

Thanks,
Pierre

Does the pass. window work...from both switches? If the car has a moonroof, does it still work?

Might be a stuffed up gear set in the motor - sometimes the pivot shaft works loose and lets the gears bind, jam, strip etc.

Rebuild tips here via search - parts via AutoZone, etc. There are soft plugs that work like clutches that wear and crack...just be sure the shaft isn't loose or new plugs won't help.

Might be window wedged/stuck in frame, but if that were the case, you should at least be able to hear the motor grunt until it trips the torque limiter.

Might be a fudged switch - the lube inside gets crusty w/age and it won't flip when rocked.

If the pass. side window works ok, and the motor isn't showing any signs of life, I'd find another switch.

Last edited:
The door switch and the passenger window switch work fine. The moonroof is also working. Here is a short video I took:

https://youtu.be/wCUnhOFf_LA

You need to remove your window motor, clean out the busted up pieces of plastic and replace. Check the large plastic gear for damage from the worm gear and make sure you get any plastic bits from down around the worm gear.

I use plastic rod to cut new spacers....i think 3/8" diameter....you can fix several motors this way for cheap. ;) I think Dorman sells rebuild kits too.

Why not just replace the motors. I paid like 32 bucks a piece. At that price i feel my time is worth more.

Why not just replace the motors. I paid like 32 bucks a piece. At that price i feel my time is worth more.

If you only have one car and don't plan on getting more you'll probably be replacing both at some point, so $64

If you have a fleet or work on other's cars too then maybe not .... I'd have spent 12 x $32 = $384 ;)

It's not hard or time consuming to do....might take more time to run to the parts store and back...plus you'll be ready for the next motor failure. If you'd rather buy the rebuild kit, then yeah...might as well by a rebuilt one if/while they're available.

If that works for you, and especially if the staked pivot shaft wobbles in the pot metal housing, that's a good deal, I think. Just remember they are specific to each side.

Back