Driveline not centered

vgfedor

SCCoA Member
Has anyone had this problem with their car? My drive line is not centered on the body or put it anyway, the body’s drive shaft tunnel is not centered over the drive shaft. So when installing a larger diameter drive shaft, it becomes very apparent and just about causes an interference problem (there is about 1/16" clearance).
http://www3.telus.net/public/vgfedor/FordT-Bird/IMG_6211resize.jpg

I thought maybe I installed something wrong so I went back to pictures I took before disassembly and sure enough the old drive shaft was not in the centre of the tunnel.
http://www3.telus.net/public/vgfedor/FordT-Bird/IMG_3611resize.jpg

So what is the solution besides going to a smaller diameter drive shaft or back to the original drive shaft? Do you hack away at the body support arch or do you get a custom made transmission cross member support to move the engine/transmission over an inch?

Last edited:
Your photo links do not appear to be working.

The stock engine location is offset toward the passenger side of the body.

Pictures in original message are working now. If stock engine location is offset towards passenger side, then why not move the driveshaft tunnel over accordingly? Dumb move by Ford.
Anybody got any solutions yet?

Pictures in original message are working now. If stock engine location is offset towards passenger side, then why not move the driveshaft tunnel over accordingly? Dumb move by Ford.
Anybody got any solutions yet?

That's normal and why most people use a 3.5" driveshaft. For additional clearance loosen up trans mount and crossmember and pry or push towards driver's side while retightening. That will usually provide another 1/4" clearance.

David

Drive shaft problems

Thanks for the advice. I probably won't be going to a 3.5" drive shaft so the solution will be partly what David suggested (pry the transmission over) and a big hammer and/or grinder. It is mostly that arch support in the middle body that is causes the tight fit so a little hammering and a little grinding will help.

Back