PDA

View Full Version : Support group

ricardoa1
09-19-2017, 09:57 AM
Checking back in after the long hiatus. I got my blue SuperCoupe street racer back and can't seem to be in love, anymore I was excited to receive it and waited for it for a long time. I drove it twice the last two weeks, yesterday I was able to inspected it and got to drive it the entire day. The car is powerful Ira cough but I no longer like the feeling of driving it. I feel I went too far with the car and made things rough and raw in my persuit of making the car perform and last. Which means undoing things I done before. We call it the SC Shuffle.

Well my list for the joy and pleasure killing.
Odo broke
Poly motor mounts, I now hate the vibrations.
Solid IRS bushings, I now hate the vibrations
The rear lower arms keep coming lose at the knuckle. Poly bushings in the rear suspension are possible to blame.
I spent hours clocking the drive shaft still have high speed vibes.
Rear caliper relocation bracket must be bent as the pad contact is flawed
02 wide band keeps over heating
I hate the headers, too much rattle from valve train and heat, yesterday I left the fiancť and newborn in the car with it running, while I went inside a store. I came Back to no clutch pedal, had I left the stock plastic line and not the viper braided, I would have been stranded. Luckily all I had to do is pump the pedal But still fluid is boiling out of the line.
Paint flaws, mind you theyare minor, I can't say the car it is a show car.
Interior wear and defects damn rubber texture peeling.
Tensioners peeling
Headlight bulb broke
Accelerator pedal too heavy 95mm
Clutch heavy
The tb and tuning adjustment woes
Reverse lights don't work
Headliner small tears
The car is loud, but the v6 doesn't sound good, injector tick, rasp and valvetrain.
You get the point. I parked it and gave it a long stare and said well despite it all, I still like looking at it standing, regardless of it being a grandma car in base trim and inspire the fact that nobody but 3 ppl gives a hoot about the car.

I don't have the time to be shuffling and I don't have the funds that require the maintenance and upkeep, so how do I get the spirit back? It was always the community that made the car special, the car was just something in common. But not sure if I even have time for the community.

I'm the kid that left the school and came back a few years later to find out he is too different to be a part of it.

Anyways any thoughts from the gang?

davec73
09-19-2017, 10:26 AM
reinvent it. David niebert once told me, it will never be done.

BLOWN38
09-19-2017, 10:32 AM
You must be getting old. And so is the car. It is for sure hard to keep up with things as they get old. Your kids getting older and doing things with them takes alot of time. I'm in that position now, too. But I still love the looks and feel of the birds. New cars are nice with all the gadgets but I still like the raw low to the ground feel of the bird. Only thing I hate about my red car is the tire bounce, need new tires. Oh and the headliner falling down and the heat from the trans tunnel(think that is cause of aftermarket non insulated carpet) and I would like some new wheels but got no money.

Anyway I think you can see where I'm going. Theres always things us car guys want to change about any car we really like. It sucks growing up. Take it out to some windy roads that always puts a smile on my face with the 5 speed car. Oh and put some red locktite on the bolt. That I could see getting old.

I also don't know how it feels with the solid control arm bushings, but I prolly wouldn't mind feeling the road more, rather than stuff moving directions I don't want it to.

Oh and if you want to get rid of it. I got Tree Fiddy. :)

ricardoa1
09-19-2017, 11:48 AM
Thank you for replying guys.

Chris you might be spot on. You just reminded me why I put all the poly stuff on. It's a catch 22 on that. I want to put the stock stuff back on but don't want those said issues, broken motor mounts, wheel hop.

I can't have it all with this car it's obvious no matter how hard I try. I focus on making it go, to keep up with the best but I throw the comfort stuff out the window. Maybe I was fooling myself into the compromise, but for what a good day at the shootout?

The best feeling recently, was when I realized my ac works well and the card did not overheat. I brag about that now.

Im not trying to nag or complain or sell it for pennies on the dollar. You can clearly see the frustration and it's not the first time. The idea of leaving the car outside and using it as a normal car comes to mind racking up miles, letting bird poop etch the paint, letting it corrode and depreciating it as you would a normal car.

I'm I the only one who feels this pain? Not sure I'm I am being too negative I've been around for a long time.

this year I see list to complete threads instead of the actual smack taking threads. Is that not a coincidence? Misery loves company.

kenewagner
09-19-2017, 12:03 PM
I feel like you do about my car a lot. I have spent so much time modding the car and so little driving it. I love the look and performance but hate the V6 sound. Never sounds good like a V8. I painted it over 10 years ago and the paint is worn and plenty of rock chips. There is so many little things to do yet on the car and I spend so much time under the hood. I have no plans to get rid of the car but I dont spend near as much time working on the car as I use to and dont drive it much as it is more a toy than a drive it everywhere car. Guys like David Clark have far past me on detail and functionality. Guess my car and I are feel old:rolleyes: As for smack talk my rival Ryan and I havent raced each other for a long time. This shootout I guess my sights are keeping up with Neibert's Whipple powered car.

Ken

DrFishbone
09-19-2017, 12:28 PM
Sad to see you blue Ricardo. :(

One thing that's kept me going is the struggle. The struggle to go faster and only spend a couple hundred bucks a year on the car...to lose at the Shootout, but barely! I've wondered what it would feel like when the struggle was gone. Although frustrating, to realize you'll probably never be the best at anything but to enjoy helping out the guys/gals that ARE the best are what make it fulfilling to me.

Also, watching the "newbies" turn into the "veterans" is awesome. :) Especially when they get told their ideas are stupid, find out it's true, but still stick around anyway...lol. Unfortunately, the inevitable will happen...there won't be any newbies. What then? I don't know....just inevitable.

-BUT-

As long as people are making time to meet and wrench, the SC spirit will live on. Jacob, Dave C and Randy a few weeks ago are a great example! Life makes it tough sometimes, but I know there are many other members meeting up to mess with car junk...those are the best times. :)

Small meets are vital to a club's existence....and they make the big ones even better! :D

I'm always shocked to hear that some of you guys pretty much work on your cars alone (I do most of the time...so I'm not excluded)...it seems to me that some of the strongest members have cars that have had "many cooks in the kitchen". Either that or their just too stubborn or maybe too dumb to quit...lol.

I'd like to see more people come to the Shootout and/or Carlisle that have not attended before meeting SCer's from across the continent is pretty cool. As a matter of fact, my opinion of Canada has improved drastically just because of meeting some of our Canuck club members and hanging out with them a little bit.

Also, it gets brought up all the time, but I think our club could use some some common "enemies"....GTP clubs are brought up often....but even like a SCCoA vs. TCCoA meet would be fun...I know some TCCoA members do already attend the Shootout, but making an effort to pit one club against another may revive some of the spirit that gets lost.

I know I don't have any new ideas here...just that maybe it's time to do a little more reaching out to each other and/or other car enthusiasts...even if they're ricers! lol

The SC-Shootout..... the people involved, the history of it, the banter, the TBU box of crap, the wrenching, the new people, the challenges, the food, even the drama and lessons learned is a great place to get new relationships and goals going. I wish we could give new-comers perks to attend. I wouldnt't even mind co-sponsoring new attendees, if that'd help.

Hope you decide to keep going Ricardo - there are plenty of people that were looking for your car when you weren't able to bring it. You've been a key member of the club and have been missed!!

rzimmerl
09-19-2017, 01:00 PM
Yep, feel your pain Rico. Life is life and priorities change, and the SC is not at the top of the list. I'll find out how I feel behind the wheel again this weekend after 3 long years.... yes my car took that long because of life and some of the components didn't even exist until just a couple months ago...

I think your Mustang is what you strive to match the SC too and it'll never get there.

BLOWN38
09-19-2017, 01:27 PM
Like Matt and Ryan have said.

Its tough when you are the only one in an area. I've met a few guys from Yellow Bullet and going to the big races so that is kinda getting me in the mood again.... now I just need money.

And you been playing with that Mustang too long.

nickleman60
09-19-2017, 01:33 PM
Its tough when you are the only one in an area.

Yes it is.............:rolleyes:

Kurt K
09-19-2017, 01:58 PM
I feel fortunate to live in an area with several members close by. Life does happen. I'm not sure if anybody else has noticed, but I haven't really done anything to my car in over 7 years--guess what, my youngest is 6. Sure my car needs paint and definitely needs a refresh of the 15 year old short block, but there never seems to be the funds. These days I really enjoy cruising with my kids. I think I've driven my car more this year locally than the past 7 or 8 years.

I've just learned to love the car for what it is. Eventually, I'll get to some of my wants for the car. But for now, I'll stick with the family things and hanging out with some of my closest friends (which happen to own Super Coupes).

Hang in there Rico.

ricardoa1
09-19-2017, 03:15 PM
I feel fortunate to live in an area with several members close by. Life does happen. I'm not sure if anybody else has noticed, but I haven't really done anything to my car in over 7 years--guess what, my youngest is 6. Sure my car needs paint and definitely needs a refresh of the 15 year old short block, but there never seems to be the funds. These days I really enjoy cruising with my kids. I think I've driven my car more this year locally than the past 7 or 8 years.

I've just learned to love the car for what it is. Eventually, I'll get to some of my wants for the car. But for now, I'll stick with the family things and hanging out with some of my closest friends (which happen to own Super Coupes).

Hang in there Rico.

Thank you Kurt, Matt, Ryan and Ken.

I did not want to bring the mustang to the conversation because it has always been the car the SC has been living in the shadows of. But I can be reasonable and realistic, the issue is that I want to stop and enjoy like Kurt did, focus on life and drive the car to cars and coffee, meets and events.

But god I want to feel like things paid off. I'm not going WOT every moment so the power is irrelevant, although I didn't know how fast the mustang was till I drove the SC for comparison. But I am a realist, I get 500whp is about all the SC has without reinventing the wheel. My issues with the car has to do with its function and purpose, the car is stuck in a point where its doing nothing well by todays standards.
To put back all the rubber bushings and mounts back on the car, then what Ill be back to wheel hop and broken parts. Then there is the damn driveshaft/diff vibes. The rest I can get past it or fix in due time, I find it silly further turning the car into a race car, gut etc. to run high 11s low 12s once a year, is that even impressive now a days?

This epiphany happened when I was gave the fiancť a ride for the first time. She has known me for 3 year and all this talk about the blue car and how its the coolest thing ever here I am trying to explain suspension noises, rattles and vibrations.
She was silent for most of the ride. I guess if you don't have anything good to say don't say nothing at all? Guess I was fooling myself.

I'm glad I am not the only one in this situation, I told Tim over text. The SC and the Club is like a street gang, its hard to get out and there will be consequences.

SCrazy
09-19-2017, 03:41 PM
I'm going to try to get up to NED on Friday....come on up...I'll give you a hug!!!

Jacob_Royer
09-19-2017, 04:10 PM
I feel youre pain brother! I have been ready to burn my crap down for years now. And for some reason i just keep dumping money in it lol I guess i am getting old myself. Driving newer stuff has ruined me! My truck is 2012 and my daily is a 2012 it makes the SC and the cobra feel like a big piece of crap. Maybe its my age showing? The cobra rides like crap and is loud... The sc rides a little less like crap but stops like crap and is also loud.. BUT i do love driving it when i do...its just not a drive every day car anymore.

David Neibert
09-19-2017, 04:12 PM
Ricardo,

Everyone with a lot done to their 25 year old SC has the same feelings from time to time. If not for attending meets like the Shootout and doing car stuff like Power Tour with the other SC/XR7 guys in the area my car would probably never come out of the garage. I also hear what you are saying about the feel of driving it not being any fun if it vibrates, bounces and drones while you are dripping in sweat. Generally speaking, the idea of driving a car with all those cool go-fast mods you imagine having is always better than the real life experience.

After removing subframe connectors and switching to a Denny's driveshaft most of the road noise and vibrations were gone. Having a new set of shocks installed also made a huge improvement in the ride. Treating myself to a new headunit with USB and Bluetooth along with some fresh speakers made long drives much more pleasant. If I had a less slippy converter and functional AC I would drive it a lot more often. I've pretty much fixed all the little nagging stuff like upgrading the LC1 wideband that overheated and constantly stopped working for a newer model that is rock solid. My car has been tuned to death and is probably as good as it's going to get, now if I could just figure out how to keep it working right instead of slowly drifting to being too rich or too lean.

I still sit on a lot of spare parts like jackshaft accessory brackets, ABS motor & pump, accumulator, spare alternators, polished underdrives ect... Just because I think I will eventually need them if I keep the car. Don't plan to ever get rid of my white SC, but don't enjoy driving it anywhere near as much as the 14 GT500 or the 16 Challenger Hellcat. It's still fun to get out once in a while and cruise around in. I also think it still looks great for it's age.

Just try enjoying the car for what it is, instead of comparing it to a modern muscle car.

David

DrFishbone
09-19-2017, 05:10 PM
Another potential idea to revive some excitement....driving an all-original, low-mile SC after having a modifed one for years...well...just feels right. :)

Maybe I'm not SUGGESTING it, but there's nothing wrong getting familiar with other cars either. I'd really like to build a 2nd Gen RX-7 with a Ford motor. I'd like to do a 2.3L Turbo....maybe an old 5.0L (but everybody does that :rolleyes:) but heck...maybe sticking with the 3.8L SC would be more fun. Get to hang out with the same guys (you KNOW you wouldn't get chased off), enjoy something different and yet the same.

Regardless, our SC experiences will stay with us for the rest of our days....our kids might not give a crap about the old Thunderbird and that's okay. I work with an old guy that is still into those nasty looking Avantis....he still talks about them like we talk about SC's....but it's not about parts and what's new on the scene - it's about the guy in Michigan that knows the motors inside-out or the guy that still races his on the Salt Flats, etc. Staying connected to the community is whats important....I think we have an advantage nowadays!

ricardoa1
09-19-2017, 06:05 PM
Another potential idea to revive some excitement....driving an all-original, low-mile SC after having a modifed one for years...well...just feels right. :)

Maybe I'm not SUGGESTING it, but there's nothing wrong getting familiar with other cars either. I'd really like to build a 2nd Gen RX-7 with a Ford motor. I'd like to do a 2.3L Turbo....maybe an old 5.0L (but everybody does that :rolleyes:) but heck...maybe sticking with the 3.8L SC would be more fun. Get to hang out with the same guys (you KNOW you wouldn't get chased off), enjoy something different and yet the same.

Regardless, our SC experiences will stay with us for the rest of our days....our kids might not give a crap about the old Thunderbird and that's okay. I work with an old guy that is still into those nasty looking Avantis....he still talks about them like we talk about SC's....but it's not about parts and what's new on the scene - it's about the guy in Michigan that knows the motors inside-out or the guy that still races his on the Salt Flats, etc. Staying connected to the community is whats important....I think we have an advantage nowadays!

I don't want to be that old guy. I have a progressive mentality,

I didn't feel like this when I was putting the anniversary together I left behind all the parts that didn't make cost per dollar sense behind. And even then I went overboard on some things, but I felt savvy and kept it simple. Wheels cut springs, and nice paint.

I was looking find a reason to sell the mustang and consolidate again but not sure I want that now.

dthompson
09-19-2017, 07:17 PM
I get where you are coming from... I have such fond memories of the car as a teenager and always dreamed of turning it into a beast. So after many years I was able to fix it up and make it pretty strong. But its not the same car I grew up with and I definitely dont think of it as a get in and go anywhere car. Now its a... less than 85 degree day, not a big deal if i dont make it on time, and dont have to drive for more than an hour kind of car.

I may not enjoy jumping in it every day, but I do enjoy wrenching on it. I enjoy challenging myself and learning new things. Now I think of it as a hobby. I still love to drive it, and I really like it when people ask me about it at the gas station or a stop light. Making time to meet up with other car folks helps as much as anything. I have a buddy at work who is a Camaro guy, but we talk automotive stuff all the time. That keeps me interested in working on mine. Going to cars and coffee, or the local drag strip, even destroying a mustang on the highway also keeps me interested. But at the end of the day, your life is how you choose to spend your time. Everyone has to decide how they want to spend it.

FWIW, my wife loves that I love my bird, but she wont ride in it anymore... she just doesnt get it. And that is ok. We each have our own things.

Creighton
09-19-2017, 10:13 PM
As a newbie I hope you can find the happy point once again. Nobody close makes it hard. My 95 will not be operational until next year. The 89 hope sooner. If not it is ok. Every time walk out the front door and see the pair it is what great looking cars. Looked at 68 Cougars and 63 Thunderbirds for years decided to go with SC's.
Creighton

nickleman60
09-20-2017, 08:06 AM
For the last few years I've had a flip/flop relationship with my SC. For the last few years I've probably only put 150 miles a year on it, if that. When I first bought it back in 2005 there were about 5-6 SC's around my parts and we hung out at car meets and talked shop but now they're not around and my interest had decreased a bit. I now have another toy, 1980 Jeep CJ5, that I've been enjoying. One thing for sure is that I'll never sell it and when I do take it out for a spin I love the looks that I get from others and when I light the tires up it still puts a smile on my face........:)

92SCtk
09-20-2017, 10:08 AM
As a "newbie" to the group, along with very likely being a generation younger than most here (27 tomorrow), these cars are tough but why also why I now have two of them. My 92 was in my family since 94, and I grew up in that car. Went many places with just my mom in that car. My parents fell on hard times not long after buying it, and my mom refused to sell it to "take the easy way out" because she loved it so much. Turned 16, they weren't driving it, and handed it down to me. When I met my wife after graduating high school, that car was the first car we drove in together. To others, it's not worth anything nor do many even know what it is, but to me it's way more than that.

My wife never really understood it, she shows horses so cars/trucks are a tool and not a hobby, but it wasn't until I went to Carlisle this year that she saw first hand how into my SC I am. She's been that much more supportive since the show because she finally understood that how she feels about her horse is how I feel about my car. (My F-250 is cleaned before every horse show and she doesn't get that though). For myself, that was my first show, and it sparked what has now kind of become an obsession. I played sports up through college, and coached high school football for three years until I got a new job. I never got to wrench on anything so now that I have time (no kids...yet), I picked up my 91 in a salvage yard, and have been under the hood ever since. I'm an impatient perfectionist, which gets me in trouble sometimes, but I'm learning and building something that is uniquely mine. I also read posts on here, and you guys make everything seem so darn easy. I like to forget that this is all new to me so that doesn't help, but I'm getting there.

Before Carlisle, I had this plan that my garage would be my 92 and a newer Mustang. After realizing that our group is quite small/unique compared to the thousands of Mustangs that go to Carlisle, I made the decision to go a different route. I like having something that other people don't. I'm not looking to make my 91 a 500 rwhp car, but something that will be uniquely mine. Yes, I will add some power to it, but I want it be comfortable and regularly drive-able too without having to worry about it. They aren't V8 monsters nor are they really an "attention grabbing" car like some others, but that's OK for me. I'm more worried about the aftermarket in the next few years as more and more of these cars go away. :(

racecougar
09-20-2017, 07:55 PM
Really it just sounds like you have a list of items to tackle. Get it right, get it to where it's enjoyable to drive, then don't screw with it and just enjoy the thing. Like Kurt, I really haven't changed mine in a decade, but I absolutely love the car. Driving it a few times a week is key to maintaining that feeling. Bigger events are icing on the cake.

davec73
09-20-2017, 08:39 PM
Ricardo,

Everyone with a lot done to their 25 year old SC has the same feelings from time to time. If not for attending meets like the Shootout and doing car stuff like Power Tour with the other SC/XR7 guys in the area my car would probably never come out of the garage. I also hear what you are saying about the feel of driving it not being any fun if it vibrates, bounces and drones while you are dripping in sweat. Generally speaking, the idea of driving a car with all those cool go-fast mods you imagine having is always better than the real life experience.

After removing subframe connectors and switching to a Denny's driveshaft most of the road noise and vibrations were gone. Having a new set of shocks installed also made a huge improvement in the ride. Treating myself to a new headunit with USB and Bluetooth along with some fresh speakers made long drives much more pleasant. If I had a less slippy converter and functional AC I would drive it a lot more often. I've pretty much fixed all the little nagging stuff like upgrading the LC1 wideband that overheated and constantly stopped working for a newer model that is rock solid. My car has been tuned to death and is probably as good as it's going to get, now if I could just figure out how to keep it working right instead of slowly drifting to being too rich or too lean.

I still sit on a lot of spare parts like jackshaft accessory brackets, ABS motor & pump, accumulator, spare alternators, polished underdrives ect... Just because I think I will eventually need them if I keep the car. Don't plan to ever get rid of my white SC, but don't enjoy driving it anywhere near as much as the 14 GT500 or the 16 Challenger Hellcat. It's still fun to get out once in a while and cruise around in. I also think it still looks great for it's age.

Just try enjoying the car for what it is, instead of comparing it to a modern muscle car.

David One of next tears mods for me is an aftermarket ac heat system from vintage air

ricardoa1
09-21-2017, 09:33 AM
Really it just sounds like you have a list of items to tackle. Get it right, get it to where it's enjoyable to drive, then don't screw with it and just enjoy the thing. Like Kurt, I really haven't changed mine in a decade, but I absolutely love the car. Driving it a few times a week is key to maintaining that feeling. Bigger events are icing on the cake.

If time and money are not a variable I could deal. I think I want to go backwards with the car on some of the suspension suspension items and put rubber back. I just thought I was done with the car when I got it back and realized the list got bigger not smaller.

Wzenheimer
09-21-2017, 10:13 AM
Ricardo,

As many have said it sounds like you want a 25 year old car to compete with a modern brand new factory built car. It is very frustrating that your anticipated goals weren't achieved. Take it from someone who has bought, built, sold, bought, built, sold, bought, built sold on several occasions that it isn't easy. To achieve a pristine, looking, riding, performing and beautiful car takes out right sickening dedication and lots of time. Seriously lots of time, the upkeep alone for an SC would make anyone go crazy.

My very first 35th SC was my baby. When it was totaled by being rear ended I was seriously upset. It was actually my daily driver and I enjoyed every minute of that car. It was a steep learning curve with the SC and being in my mid 20's (wow I am seriously old now) I was eager without anything in the way to achieve my goals. I built 3 engines for that car. 3 different transmissions. Wade Embry rebuilt my supercharger nearly monthly. I look back and think you poor poor silly kid. Would I change any of it....HELL NO. I have made and continue to make my VERY BESTEST friends as a result of the SC. David & Kathy Neibert, Kurt & Jennifer Kreisz, Tony & Rose Serno, Kurt Sunday, Rod Maxsmovich Jr & Sr, Kelly Simons, David Dalke and family, John Vaniscycle and family, David Clark, Jacob Royer, Sally Thornsberry, Dan Thorsberry and family, Randy Hunerkoch, Matt Haub and family. Seriously the list goes one and on. When I was really running my first SCs hard prior to the first shootout I bet David Neibert and I wrenched on each other's cars nearly every weekend. So your list of little bits to correct on your car are seriously minimal in the grand sceam of things. It's going to take you the extra detail mindedness to finish it to your level of acceptance.

Most everyone knows my history of building my first 35th totaling it then transplanting it to the 1993. I absolutely hated what I did to the 93. (Added a cage). It is really the main reason I sold that car among other personal financial issues at the time. Then later when I was capable I bought a 1995 5spd. I turned it into a turbo, NON-AC, C4 trans brake car, that ran mid 10s on IRS and drag radials. That car wasn't what I anticipated the outcome to be. Yes it was fast and interesting BUT I turned what I really wanted into a track dedicated car. So I sold it and rebooted my ultimate goals. I am literally on my 5th build. My current 35th had very specific goals in mind. I listed them and stuck to them. To this day I haven't achieved what I believe is the original goal set. For example, I had delrin bushings, hated them removed them and went partial poly and stock. I had addco front rear sway bars. Hated them removed them and back to stock. I'm on my second set of pistons and rings. The motor has been apart 3 times since that build. The intercooler has been revamped 4 times. I'm not kidding 4 times. Guess what I don't even have one at all now straight methanol. Someone has already said it the car is never really done. Just upgraded from time to time. Since you listed some gripes on your car here is my current list.

Passenger window goes down really slow.
Driver door has a rattle inside. (I have searched and searched)
My rear main seal has a small leak (~~~~ to change.)
My AC while it works barely keeps up in south Florida.
My Pass headlight fogs up on the inside.
I have a driveline vibration that I cannot locate. Nothing terrible but I know its there.
Exhaust is WAY WAY too loud.
My 5 year old paint job has chips everywhere.
I have trim that needs touched up on the inside.
Somehow I have a scratch in the paint on my truck deck lid.
The car still wont run 11.5. Closest I have achieved is 11.8
I seriously hate the way the transmission shifts. Needs reprogrammed. Would take a day or so with help.
Car needs a serious under hood detail.
My K-member has dents, creases, from a pulley flying off.
My in-tank pump doesn't push the fuel it should for some reason so a boost a pump was added.
The list never ends.

Ohh and my current 35th has been on 3 different trailers going home from various events. Never fun, always embarrassing, and then the dreaded rebuild revamp. I even put it in TIME-OUT I was so pissed for over 9 months.

Most know I recently relocated to South Florida. I had to move the SC to Florida. I could of shipped it could of towed it but instead I drove it. 1900 miles. For the most part I had a great drive. My only issue was the AC wasn't charged before I went. I got 19MPG and even found some of the issues I had been searching to repair. That drive alone really made me appreciate the SC again. It's a big luxury/sport car. Every time I stopped for gas I got at least 2-3 compliments and questions on what is that. Every time I drive it here in S FL I get compliments. That alone is worth keeping it to me. When hurricane IRMA came my daily was sitting in an airport Parking lot. Guess what me and the WIFE drove it all over town getting the supplies we needed before the hurricane hit. I got 3-4 compliments that day.

Most of us build the SC because we WANT something different. We DON'T want to follow the mustang crowd. We pride ourselves in being maybe slightly off kilter doing something different. It's much more of a challenge that just buying some parts off the shelf. I have always prided myself in trying something different. Now I'm just stepping back and enjoying what I have and tackling the little things one by one when I have time.

Don't' give up we're are all here to help.

Cheers,
Chris

DrFishbone
09-21-2017, 12:06 PM
You know it has to be the case for almost everyone - but the cars that are clean, have a nice paint job, fast, etc...I always used to assume that everything worked on them (power windows, A/C - if so equipped, etc).

Makes me feel a little better about the mechanical condition of my car, knowing you guys struggle too. Believe it or not, mine drives and rides ALOT better than it looks...lol!

ricardoa1
09-21-2017, 12:24 PM
Ricardo,

Cheers,
Chris

Thank you Chris, you are definitely one of the few that didn't coast right by, although you probably had better resources and skills than me. I appreciate putting things into perspective. And it does help hearing from others and similar situations, cause from pictures (FB etc) it seem everyone is having a good old time and cars look nice and shiny and complete. At the same time, I feel bad for all of us and a little dumb that we are subject to this abuse, and it defies logic that chose to accept it. You guys call it 25YO car, but to me the care is 19 Years YO since I parked it 6-7 years ago after taking off the Auto rotor and dealt with life hitting me in the face with a divorce a few years after. Now my life is stupid busy working day and night trying to maintain two households, thank you Massachusetts for terrible laws that don't protect the dads, time and money are not what it was like. I get weekends to enjoy the fun cars or the few days off here. The mustang has spoiled me, but that was my life saver when I felt down, it was my escape. I used the equity from the sell of broken home, to reclaim my independence and boost my ego and also to show the kids that dad was ok. I built many memories in the mustang and had just as much fund as when I had the SC up and running, Best of all I didn't have to get my fingers dirty, I simply asked the kids if they wanted to get Ice Cream and off we went. I bought the supercharger kit for it and sat on it for two years because I could not find the time or money to gather the final parts, but with some motivation and extra hours I did it. I still have not tracked it or gotten a dyno for it, but I really don't care, its pointless to do so there is no recognition for it, but I am satisfied to just feel the power and speed and I know I can likely keep up with hellcats and all the new Detroit junk, this is what the SC in its time strived to do, the under dog/sleeper against the new stuff.

I never did forget about the blue car it was always in my mind and this roller 35th that is taking up space in the garage is in my mind as well. And I guess I built this high expectation for the car looking at pictures, awards and seeing you guys have a gay old time, and after spending some time one it I realized it doesn't fit the lifestyle I have now, if its going to constantly be having issues and the ride wont be enjoyable. Now I am stuck with too many cars that I emotionally cannot see my self letting go but have little room to be in my life, I only have one butt after all.

I could put an ad to buy parts and fix what I needs addressed but its to much to right for me I need to step back and think it through.
I want 89 sway bars, rubber motor mounts, rubber carrier bushings even want to get rid of the Tube K-member the I would be happy with a semi factory riding car that runs 12 vs a big stiff block that dips into the 11s
But I might have regrets I am conflicted. :(

ricardoa1
09-21-2017, 12:25 PM
You know it has to be the case for almost everyone - but the cars that are clean, have a nice paint job, fast, etc...I always used to assume that everything worked on them (power windows, A/C - if so equipped, etc).

Makes me feel a little better about the mechanical condition of my car, knowing you guys struggle too. Believe it or not, mine drives and rides ALOT better than it looks...lol!

Haha trued that I just posted and beat me to it.

Wzenheimer
09-21-2017, 01:06 PM
And to be completely honest Im still not happy with everything. But I am really happy that I have something different from the normal. Even SC normal.

pro street rich
09-21-2017, 01:09 PM
Back in 1990 I got my first S.C. and have kept it stock, right down to the air system. I drive that car during the summer months and it is a blast to drive. In 1991 I picked up another car a 35th that was for playing with.. I did a lot of the things everyone else did and was not happy with the small pick up, so I went to the dark side... I dropped in a big block and started to make it crazy.I found out that you had to make other changes with the car and I did them. The car became a bit of a pain to drive when it got hot out side. Then I ran into orther things that we all do and one by one I worked thru them.
BUT the fun part of this is I always had that stocker to drive around.. it is fast, but not too fast. It does get good gas mileage, but will not beat a gt mustang...bummer. The air works fine but again it is a stocker..
Now it is the best of both worlds.... I got a stocker to drive as an everyday car, but if I want to go fast I just grab the other car... So you could say I can have my cake and eat it as well.. Life is always filled with choices and what we make from those choices is what makes each of us the same or different....
Good luck with your issues and you will be fine... Keep the S.C. for a fun car and drive something else for the daily duty that we all need....Rich

Rotaryeccentric
09-21-2017, 05:32 PM
Hahaha, all these posts of make sure you drive the car once in a while. The SC has been my daily driver for the past 7+ years, had it in the snow every winter. Thank God it is bone stock. I don't think I'm officially in anyone's "support group" but I can say the more you drive it, the less you notice the "problems" it has.

I drove my wife's 2010 escape off into the uintas to backpack in and climb some 13,000 foot peaks for a weeklong getaway one summer. That Monday when I got back into the SC to drive it to work I noticed a crazy punchy accelerator pedal, awful road noise, vibrations, underhood heat, blah, blah, blah. A week later of daily driving, all I noticed was the crazy punchy accelerator feel and a smile on my face.

It also helps when it is your daily driver because, you have a weekend to put on any parts you want for maintenance, and then it MUST be back on the road. Another perk of the daily-driver member's-benefits package.

XR7 Dave
09-21-2017, 07:03 PM
Funny thing is I really don't have anything to add/say about the car/cars specifically. Except maybe refer to a study done recently about vacations - they say that the longer you plan for a vacation, regardless of how the actual vacation turns out - the more psychological benefits you get from it. What I get from that is that it's more important that you have fun working towards accomplishing something than actually accomplishing anything. In the same line of thinking, if you hate the planning stage (I call that working on the problems) then the end result will never be worth it. My junk never works right. But I can't stop doing it.

XB-70
09-21-2017, 09:42 PM
...... What I get from that is that it's more important that you have fun working towards accomplishing something than actually accomplishing anything. In the same line of thinking, if you hate the planning stage (I call that working on the problems) then the end result will never be worth it. My junk never works right. But I can't stop doing it.

I am with Dave - The planning stage is what keeps it fun and in the realm of things possible. As a retired Army Soldier, I can tell you that we lived to Plan! Even when we know the Plans usually do not survive first contact. But once you stop dreaming (planning) what else is there?

Surely this affects the more seasoned types among us, and that common-sense does not prevail here, LOL.

As a 27-year long "carrier of the SC pathogen" (half of my life now!!), I am dumbfounded as to why I enjoy driving the SCs more than my '11 GT500 in my garage or my other more modern vehicles? I can't explain it but instead of counting sheep to fall asleep at night....I just think about work and modifications to restore / modify the current flock of SCs until asleep. Hence, I must be 'infected' and ....I can't stop doing it.

Like others here, my first SC was delivered to me 27 years ago today (9/21/1990) and it still refuses to quit on me or me on it. It has never broken down and it has had its share of flogging and is still running strong. It only has 142K on it but I am sure it will go to 250 to 300K. The others in the flock will continue to evolve and be complete before I turn 60. Now that I have the time, that's the Plan: LMFAO.

Hey, I am sure we can retake this 'Philosophical / Psychological' topic over adult beverages at this year's Shootout - my SC brother, Kurt Sunday will Moderate!!

Best and keep the flame alive....

davec73
09-21-2017, 10:11 PM
I enjoy driving mine because I built it with my own hands and imagination and like Captain Wise said the looks are worth all that hard work. I have never taken this car out for a drive and not gotten a compliment. It's not ordinary it has mystery squeaks and noises that make the car feel alive, like it's a part of you. When I am done with the next big thing I plan for more things to improve. My car has all the harsh upgrades and then some in the drive line and finally I love the way my car Drives and rides. I had alot of trouble getting the AJE subframe all lined out but man I love it now. The Qa1 coilovers also added comfort as well as performance to the stiff somewhat comfortable ride I had before. I remember 8 or nine years ago thinking about how cool it would be to have a 500 hp t56 sc and now it's a reality lol. My next mod is one you will appreciate, a vintage air system lmao.

ricardoa1
09-21-2017, 11:26 PM
Not sure if it's just me or Dalke is drunk but I can't seem to relate to the analogy. I applaud you guys that love wrenching and planning and building and fabricating. But I'm a driver, if I had it my way I'd have a pit crew. My car was built in the era of group buys, experimental research and forum mod list signatures. It didn't matter what the mod did as long as it was put in the signature it was cool.

Clark I see a little bit of the young me in you, silly to say, cause you are probably older than me not sure. I guess I just wanted to stop spending money on it for a bit and actually drive and have fun with it. Guess I'll just turn up the music louder.

KMT
09-22-2017, 12:16 AM
actually drive and have fun with it.

👍

You know what they say - when you let your friends pick your dates you never know what you'll wake up next to...

MadMikeyL
09-22-2017, 01:44 AM
Obviously a car that is always having issues is no fun, but with an SC, especially a heavily modified one, if you don't enjoy working on the car, you need to either write some big checks, or find something else. With as much easy drivable reliable power as you can make with the newer motors, the SC is more of an underdog than it ever was, but it is still a great power plant, and a great chassis. I'm not going to say go back to stock, but these days, you have to abandon the hope of being the fastest car on the road, and enjoy the car for what it is. That being said, personally I would rather daily drive a 300hp SC than a 500hp new Mustang. New cars are so entrenched with technology, that I feel like more of a passenger as the computer drives the car and the drive by wire tries to interpret what it thinks I mean by my throttle inputs.

As for your particular situation, my advice at this point would be drive the car to work every Friday for a few weeks in a row, and each weekend fix one thing that pissed you off on the ride home Friday evening. I think a lot on your list could be dealt with or mitigated with some time and minimal money. Re-route the clutch line away from the exhaust. Get some lock-tite on those bolts that keep loosening up. Mess with different springs on the throttle to get the feel right. Some hush-mat or something like that will help keep the noise and heat out of the cabin, and some elbow grease and rattle-can paint can do wonders for faded or peeling under hood components. I honestly think 3 of 4 weekends and $250 will go a long way toward making the car more enjoyable on the street without sacrificing speed or handling. It won't be perfect, but it should be enough to get your spirits back about the car.

rzimmerl
09-22-2017, 07:31 AM
My car was built in the era of group buys, experimental research and forum mod list signatures. It didn't matter what the mod did as long as it was put in the signature it was cool.

I was just thinking the same the other day when I dug up your thread from 2010 when we both went to bigger fuel lines, the club as a whole is dying off from the prime days of pre 2012.

XR7 Dave
09-22-2017, 07:35 AM
Not sure if it's just me or Dalke is drunk but I can't seem to relate to the analogy. I applaud you guys that love wrenching and planning and building and fabricating. But I'm a driver, if I had it my way I'd have a pit crew. My car was built in the era of group buys, experimental research and forum mod list signatures. It didn't matter what the mod did as long as it was put in the signature it was cool.

You remind me a lot of Bill McNeil. That's a good thing, just saying you remind me of him. It also means that your viewpoint isn't weird, just different. I have to try to remind myself often that other people see things differently. Sounds like to me you'd have more fun in a stock(ish) SC with a lot of power. I hate the thought that you may have to reverse a lot of your mods to get something you like, but I think that might be the answer. Forget about wheel hop, it's a lot easier to control when you have a lot of power.

tbirdsc357
09-22-2017, 10:06 AM
I think most have contemplated selling the car (or burning it) at some point. You have to get to where you're content with the car, within reason, I mean decent power, looks ok, rides well, and then enjoy the car for what it is, knowing that it will always have some minor stuff that needs attention. Sucks that you made all those mods and not happy with the way they turned out.

Over the last few years I have been happy with the car and actually enjoy just driving it. I get together with the boys and cruise quite often, it runs well and power is decent as long as you accept that their will always be someone with a faster better looking car.

ricardoa1
09-24-2017, 11:12 PM
Thank you guys, this car is relentless at destroying my spirits for it.

Worked on the paint of the car for two days. Exited about it I booked the shootout reservations and renewed my membership. Fist blow, all hotels in the area are sold out. But no biggie let's wait a few days maybe there will be cancellations. Meanwhile after all the hard work I promissed the my lady to go for a walk at the beach with the baby. Exited to drive in the all shinny SC I decidesd to take it to get us there, made it out 20 mins and car stalls not sure if from idle settings still being off or if power was killed by and electrical short or over heat. Well Tried cranking while coasting and nothing from the starter, no click nothing. I am all to familiar with this car stalling so I pulled from traffic into a gas station, and coast to a stop. Try again lights go on but no start, funny noises from the ignition switches and I quit trying. After a moment of silence from my lady and I called family and friends for help. Middle of the a getto neighborhood none the less. Got props from a drunk guy that used to have an LX and some guy in an a rust bucket maxima with an exhaust. We waited for about an hour decided to try again. And hold and behold the damn car starts. But something happened to the parking/cluster lights, checked fuses under the dash and they were not blown. Now it's an unsolved mystery. The car started that's the priority I drove home with no lights except for the headlights. Parked it and covered it. I don't know what to say, the starter or the ignition switch is acting up. Not sure if the heat from the headers toasted my 10th starter motor. I have lifetime warranty but can't remember what store I bought it from.

Anyhow not sure if it's smart taking the car 3000 miles To the shootout. Forget asking my lady if she will be going.

Jacob_Royer
09-25-2017, 01:19 AM
I wish I was closer to try to help out man!

nickleman60
09-25-2017, 10:05 AM
Anyhow not sure if it's smart taking the car 3000 miles To the shootout.

That's what they made trailers for................;)

MadMikeyL
09-25-2017, 10:15 AM
Definitely sounds like an ignition switch issue. Pull the trim down around the column and have a look at the switch, as well as the wiring. I had one fail before where the wiring was somewhat burnt up at the connector, and wouldn't make a good contact, and it caused all kinds of weird intermittent electrical gremlins.

ricardoa1
09-25-2017, 12:17 PM
Definitely sounds like an ignition switch issue. Pull the trim down around the column and have a look at the switch, as well as the wiring. I had one fail before where the wiring was somewhat burnt up at the connector, and wouldn't make a good contact, and it caused all kinds of weird intermittent electrical gremlins.

Yeah I got a motorcraft in order and got the warranty starter just in case. I hope this turns back on the parking lights but I don't see the wiring correlation other than it all failed at the same time.

ricardoa1
09-25-2017, 12:19 PM
That's what they made trailers for................;)

Some of you are lucky to have them.
I can't be adding one with the frequency I would use it. Take that back I'd be needing it every day at this rate

DrFishbone
09-25-2017, 12:22 PM
Yeah I got a motorcraft in order and got the warranty starter just in case. I hope this turns back on the parking lights but I don't see the wiring correlation other than it all failed at the same time.

It likely will....bad ignition switch will selectively choose what you're not allowed to enjoy anymore. One time for me (fortunately you don't have an early model SC....) it was the turn signals and the BRAKES. I found out while coasting around a sharp turn towards a stoplight....good thing the e-brake worked in that car..... :eek:

David Neibert
09-25-2017, 01:27 PM
Some of you are lucky to have them.
I can't be adding one with the frequency I would use it. Take that back I'd be needing it every day at this rate

I've driven my SC on 3 Hot Rod Power Tour long hauls totalling thousands of miles, but I won't race the car 30 miles from home without a trailer. It's not that it breaks down a lot, I just don't enjoy racing if I have to worry about getting back home.

David

Ira R.
09-25-2017, 03:52 PM
Someone tell Ricardo he can still get a room.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?139275-Shootout-Hotel-Block

ricardoa1
09-25-2017, 04:17 PM
Someone tell Ricardo he can still get a room.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?139275-Shootout-Hotel-Block

Thank you Ira

Brian and Pat made sure I did. Got it booked, one less thing to worry about.

Phoenix75
09-25-2017, 09:58 PM
Ricardo1 - Hey I'm new to the sccoa family. This is my second tbird, but my first time registering. Would you mind sharing with me what kind of front spoiler you have on your blue 94 SC? Ive checked Xenon and couple of others and no luck. I really like the body kit on your car and would love to purchase one for mine.

Respectfully Bro.,

ricardoa1
09-25-2017, 10:31 PM
Ricardo1 - Hey I'm new to the sccoa family. This is my second tbird, but my first time registering. Would you mind sharing with me what kind of front spoiler you have on your blue 94 SC? Ive checked Xenon and couple of others and no luck. I really like the body kit on your car and would love to purchase one for mine.

Respectfully Bro.,

It was made by a company called Kobel and they went out of business a while ago. You won't find them used cause they were made from hard plastic and they shatter on impact.

ricardoa1
09-25-2017, 10:44 PM
Well tore the bottom of the dash apart, and just like magic things start to work as they should.

The lights never worked so I focused on it. Took out the 10amp fuse 3 times and it looked good. The ford dealer alarm made the lights work!!!! So it had to be the switch I though, then I decided to change the fuse for another one that had a different bridge design and I got my lights back. Before that I played with the ignition switch and all looks goo, went though all of the positions, I wanted to just replace the switch with the autozone onthat was in stock, But didn't like the way it was sliding it seems to bind, the ford one stops at each gate well. Going to bet it's the alarm system acting up, I will replace the switch with a motorcraft one for insurance, but I have a hunch the alarm jolted and did something to the parking lights and ignition kill relay. I think I will need to toss it and return all of the ignition wires to factory, it's a splice nightmare I think a 9yo kid was in charge of my installation back in 1994.

davec73
09-26-2017, 12:25 AM
Well tore the bottom of the dash apart, and just like magic things start to work as they should.

The lights never worked so I focused on it. Took out the 10amp fuse 3 times and it looked good. The ford dealer alarm made the lights work!!!! So it had to be the switch I though, then I decided to change the fuse for another one that had a different bridge design and I got my lights back. Before that I played with the ignition switch and all looks goo, went though all of the positions, I wanted to just replace the switch with the autozone onthat was in stock, But didn't like the way it was sliding it seems to bind, the ford one stops at each gate well. Going to bet it's the alarm system acting up, I will replace the switch with a motorcraft one for insurance, but I have a hunch the alarm jolted and did something to the parking lights and ignition kill relay. I think I will need to toss it and return all of the ignition wires to factory, it's a splice nightmare I think a 9yo kid was in charge of my installation back in 1994.
I wasn't aware it had an alarm bro. yeah the alarm valet switch could be the culprit or a number of other things with an alarm. I never installed alarms back when i was doing stereo installs but i would completely disable it if you can

BLOWN38
09-26-2017, 10:11 AM
We went thru this many years ago. Remeber Rico? I found one of my crimps was bad on the ford alarm. I never lost lights but I lost cranking. No one wants....... errr nevermind. Bad juju there.

ricardoa1
09-26-2017, 11:49 AM
Yeah I plan on eliminating it but there is no more radio shack near me I am out of solder wire. So had to leave it alone, not going to crimp. There are wires going everywhere so I will need to spend some hours on this. But again no time.

Add to the list power window switch is busted how will I grab toll tickets.

And my horn pad is literally melting like chucky in acid. Not sure if the chemicals from the air bag leaked or what, but it's all sticky and rubbery, this is a hard to find item.

Key cylinders are frozen.

And still wanted to figure out drive line angles. Need help with this. What do you guys use to check pinion angles to trans. Where do you measure and what to use

w t f guys this car goes bad faster than I can address them.

KMT
09-26-2017, 12:04 PM
Add to the list power window switch is busted how will I grab toll tickets.
From the working window on the truck pulling the trailer.

this car goes bad faster than I can address them.

Get out while you can...trade it for a mule, then shoot the mule.

XR7 Dave
09-26-2017, 12:36 PM
You can install an app on your phone to check driveline angles.

ricardoa1
09-26-2017, 12:38 PM
You can install an app on your phone to check driveline angles.

Are there spots where we put the phone? Flat horizontal spots?

Ira R.
09-26-2017, 01:08 PM
Thank you Ira

Brian and Pat made sure I did. Got it booked, one less thing to worry about.

Good. It will great to see you again.

Tim Groth
09-26-2017, 01:50 PM
As part of this support group - send me a picture of what window switches you need and I will send them your way. :D

-Tim

pro street rich
09-26-2017, 02:31 PM
[QUOTE=ricardoa1;1113120]Yeah I plan on eliminating it but there is no more radio shack near me I am out of solder wire. So had to leave it alone, not going to crimp. There are wires going everywhere so I will need to spend some hours on this. But again no time.

Napa or ace hardware has solder for your repair

And my horn pad is literally melting like chucky in acid. Not sure if the chemicals from the air bag leaked or what, but it's all sticky and rubbery, this is a hard to find item.

I can bring an "air bag" from a 1990 s.c. if you want?? If it fits it is yours... you tell me....Rich

Toms-SC
09-26-2017, 03:07 PM
Well ~~~~, this thread is timely. Thanks for being brave enough to post it.

ricardoa1
09-26-2017, 03:12 PM
[QUOTE=ricardoa1;1113120]Yeah I plan on eliminating it but there is no more radio shack near me I am out of solder wire. So had to leave it alone, not going to crimp. There are wires going everywhere so I wh

Rich
I need a 94 which is an Air Bag Module as well, do you have 89 sway bars in decent shape?

ricardoa1
09-26-2017, 03:18 PM
Well ~~~~, this thread is timely. Thanks for being brave enough to post it.

Tom it's ok with the moral help we can all get through this.

Dave,

I was able to download the TREMEC toolbox app and it has the digital leveler. Thanks

I think there is a good spot on the m5r2 after the mount. I'll see what's up when I have a chance maybe the k member, motor mounts, solid this and that has jacked it all up. If not the driveshaft will need to come out for a balance. iDK. This is not common procedure for the sc guys guys it seems. Are you guys living with vibes or not going to high enough cruising speeds where it don't matter to you?

pro street rich
09-26-2017, 07:16 PM
[QUOTE=pro street rich;1113139]

Rich
I need a 94 which is an Air Bag Module as well, do you have 89 sway bars in decent shape?

if that works I will bring it to the shoot out for you...Rich

Tim Groth
09-27-2017, 09:23 AM
Window switches are pulled for ya...also the early model sway bay you asked for via text.

I have a few 94/95 SC air bags but similar to what you described they feel sticky or tacky to the touch. Now...the parts cars I have as you saw sit over in a woods with 100s of other junk cars so it could be for being dirty? Next trip over I will take some cleaner and see what I can come up with.

I'll send this stuff via Vining to the Shootout...and well that fixed 2/3s of your complaints :D

-Tim

ricardoa1
09-27-2017, 10:04 AM
[QUOTE=ricardoa1;1113142]

if that works I will bring it to the shoot out for you...Rich

Thank you Rich, but your horn pad from an earlier car wont work on my car. I was looking for the earlier sway bars to get rid of the Addco bars, I need a rear one from an 89, now that Tim has found a front one for me.

ricardoa1
09-27-2017, 10:08 AM
Window switches are pulled for ya...also the early model sway bay you asked for via text.

I have a few 94/95 SC air bags but similar to what you described they feel sticky or tacky to the touch. Now...the parts cars I have as you saw sit over in a woods with 100s of other junk cars so it could be for being dirty? Next trip over I will take some cleaner and see what I can come up with.

I'll send this stuff via Vining to the Shootout...and well that fixed 2/3s of your complaints :D

-Tim

Thanks Tim, I don't know what caused this melting effect, car has been indoors since I was able to afford a house with a garage. And it was indoors at Daves shop. Is anyone else experiencing this tackiness on the plastic surface of the airbag? I wonder what is causing it to prevent it in the future in case I find a replacement. The plastic is literally deteriorating I don't think its grime, you can scoop material off with your finger nail.

Wzenheimer
09-27-2017, 10:13 AM
[QUOTE=pro street rich;1113157]

Thank you Rich, but your horn pad from an earlier car wont work on my car. I was looking for the earlier sway bars to get rid of the Addco bars, I need a rear one from an 89, now that Tim has found a front one for me.

Do you want the 89s because they are hollow and lighter?

ricardoa1
09-27-2017, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE=ricardoa1;1113190]

Do you want the 89s because they are hollow and lighter?

I want to get a smoother ride but still have strong handling and the earlier bars provided that, 89 rear was the best it seems, but got soft past that. Lighter hollow bars are just a plus but not the first reason.

Keep in mind.

The 89-91 SC front bars were the same size.

89-91 front = 1.20''
92 front = 1.12"

89 rear = 1.10"
90 rear = 1.04"

Although my anniversary felt fine.

BLOWN38
09-27-2017, 11:46 AM
Better clean that sway bar up if I'm gonna lug it to the shootout.

Tim Groth
09-27-2017, 11:50 AM

It will be wrapped in plastic to make sure no stains hit the interior.

-Tim

ricardoa1
09-27-2017, 07:30 PM

Thanks Chris

davec73
09-27-2017, 09:05 PM
[QUOTE=Wzenheimer;1113192]

I want to get a smoother ride but still have strong handling and the earlier bars provided that, 89 rear was the best it seems, but got soft past that. Lighter hollow bars are just a plus but not the first reason.

Keep in mind.

The 89-91 SC front bars were the same size.

89-91 front = 1.20''
92 front = 1.12"

89 rear = 1.10"
90 rear = 1.04"

Although my anniversary felt fine.

qa1 coil overs

Tim Groth
09-28-2017, 04:14 PM
Hey found that low mileage Midnight Blue 5spd SC you said you wanted. :D;)

https://www.copart.com/lot/41227557

-Tim

ricardoa1
09-28-2017, 04:50 PM

-Tim

Sad Texas floods taking its toll on birds.

So you only got tacky air bags?

90blkbrd
09-28-2017, 06:14 PM

-Tim

$30 bid. Price is a bit high.

figulaz
09-28-2017, 08:55 PM
I just read this whole thread. Really needed this. I've never met you but I've read many of your threads and admired your commitment to pushing the envelope..be it the hood you fabbed or trying the jaguar blower rotor thing. Going to boost the battery in the SC and go for a spin. It's not perfect but it deserves attention. I don't like crawling under a car and playing what's that noise/leak/ smell?- as much as I used to. 2 months ago it was the window motors..now the snout..I swear if ever get a tat it'll be "it's always something" The SC is alot like life...ups/downs, set backs, proud moments, embarrasments ...rarely easy--but it's unique and yours alone. If it was easy everyone would be doing it. Best of luck. I hope you have many proud moments at the shootout!

JonS
09-28-2017, 09:46 PM
Yes it is.............:rolleyes:

I'm here man ... Just no time to share. I retire in December and plan to be an active SC owner. I still haven't put that ported blower on the Pearl bird, but hope to soon

ricardoa1
09-28-2017, 10:47 PM
I just read this whole thread. Really needed this. I've never met you but I've read many of your threads and admired your commitment to pushing the envelope..be it the hood you fabbed or trying the jaguar blower rotor thing. Going to boost the battery in the SC and go for a spin. It's not perfect but it deserves attention. I don't like crawling under a car and playing what's that noise/leak/ smell?- as much as I used to. 2 months ago it was the window motors..now the snout..I swear if ever get a tat it'll be "it's always something" The SC is alot like life...ups/downs, set backs, proud moments, embarrasments ...rarely easy--but it's unique and yours alone. If it was easy everyone would be doing it. Best of luck. I hope you have many proud moments at the shootout!

Thanks for the props, what's your name?

1FSTBRD
09-29-2017, 12:05 AM
There's some great stories and analogies in this thread. I'll weigh in......I still check in here on a weekly basis, as I am no longer an SC owner, but many of the people here were so great and helpful that I still enjoy coming here.

In 2014, I'd got my first SC, a white 1991. It was a rebuilt salvage title car, but the previous owners (a guy named Jeff and his father) had done a very good job of piecing things together from parts cars. The car drove well and had no apparent problems, and I was excited to own one of these. The supercharged engine was a great starting point, but when I had read more about all of the unique things that the cars had, I was even more of a fan.

I took it to the local Sunday car show for the first time in 2015, and most people walked by it with no real interest or anything. But the guys that were into the car were REALLY into it, because they knew what it was. I remember a guy, Rennie, coming up and talking about it and knowing a fair bit, but being surprised that the tweed/ leather combo was a factory option (he only knew of leather seats). A father and his son came up, Bob and Chris, and even invited me back to their house to talk cars and hang out and have a beer. I did, and they were super cool guys--Ford guys, too. It was a blast.

Some people may remember my story here, I think the thread title was something like "you're not gonna believe this". I was wrenching on my SC on the front street, and a girl had stopped in front of a driveway......very haphazard, and improper. She stepped out of her car and asked, "....is that your car?". I was kind of wary, because of the quick temporary parking job that she did, as well as the excited, almost nervous tone in her voice. I was thinking "oh crap, I cut ice queen off in traffic somewhere, and she remembered the licence plate '1FSTBRD' and is gonna yell at me or something. GREAT". I answered that it was my car, and she responds with something that I honestly did not see coming....."nice car! So I finally meet the person that owns this car. It's beautiful!!". You can imagine that this is like a movie or something that I'd be watching, except that I'm in it. Pretty and tall girl Kate turns out to be this super cool girl that I ask for her number to hang out sometime, and she gives it to me. I wish that I had this on video for you guys, because it was an awesome moment over a car. She turned out to be a "Ford girl" and had to "roll with the Ford jokes.....'found on road dead', you know". She doesn't like her current Ford Focus, because it's a company car and she likes something with more character......hence the like for the 'Bird.

When I did a CarFax, the car was in two accidents before I'd got it: one major one for $7800 or so, then a second one for $2500. A third one happened when I had the car for $2000 or so (which originally was around $3200 but I had helped keep the cost low by having the bumper be re-painted and the driver's turn signal lens be replaced). This third one was a hit and run in a parking lot (some may remember a couple of years back that I had posted a picture from a witness that saw the Nissan Rogue that hit my car and left a fake phone number). I won that case! Imagine the jerk's surprise when they had the insurance company contacting them, even with a false phone number given! That's karma for you. So I kind of feel like this particular SC cheated the odds, because the adjuster said that with the second accident, it shouldn't have been back on the road, and especially with this third one, I think that the overall good condition of the car (and my stack of receipts for upgrades and things) kept it on the road to see another day. Any car with $13,000 worth of damage or so is going to be an insurance liability, yet this car seemed to have nine lives. The best part was that the Rogue had pretty much completely messed up the right side of their vehicle (according to my witness), yet the Bird had just minor cosmetic damage to the bumper, and the driver's side turn signal lens was laying on the ground.

My experience with the SC in terms of the power not being enough, is probably a lot like many of yours. At first, you're amazed at what the blown 3.8 can do in terms of burnouts and laying a strip of rubber on the ground, but then it's not quite enough. When you're cruising down the highway and pin the throttle, it feels much slower than in that first gear off the line. And so it begins! I'd bought a whole bunch of things off not only some people on here, but also from Bill at SC Performance. Then I really went further and did the cam and heads and Quarterhorse. I had did my 3.8 Mustang heads and cam just a month prior to that, which already shares some similar components (ie: coil pack, oil filter, etc) and everything ran fine. I learned how to shim for pushrods, torqueing the cylinder heads and what an art that is, etc. The car fired right up, no problem, so I was feeling confident about working on the SC.......and confident about making some serious power. With all of the mods on my SC, I'd got a 0-60 on the highway down to the low 6 second range (depending on traction), and this was on the stock 30 lb injectors, and I hadn't blown up the engine or the head gaskets or anything, so I was feeling even more confident about the upgrade to heads and a cam. I had already replaced the blower with a ported late model one, had installed a DIC, done my own spark plug job, etc, so I was fairly familiar with the workings of the SC engine.

The SC, on the other hand, after the cam/ heads swap had a nasty slow crank condition that the car wouldn't fire. Some people may remember this thread at about this time last year. I tried everything......new battery, crank position sensor, DIS, ECU, checked all fuses, grounds, tested all wiring with a continuity tester, new ignition switch, etc etc. I tested all the wires from the DIC to the crank sensor, coil pack, etc. I ran the diagnostic EEC test, and everything came up fine (of course). I troubleshooted things every night for probably a month and a half or so.......frustration continually mounting with each night and each week, and as the days turned into weeks and with the nights getting shorter, which started turning into months going into the late fall, I had to make a decision: tow the car to my storage facility (not close, so it would have been an expensive tow) and store it until next spring, or try to sell it complete--with a rebuilt title and a no-start condition. I tried to sell it for $1700, which I thought was fair for a car with the modifications and upgrades that this car had. No takers. Then I tried to sell it for $1200, which wouldn't have even covered the cost of the heads/ cam, let alone an installation fee. Still no takers. Then I figured that the only way that I'd be able to recover some money, would be to dismantle the engine and sell off the parts (some may remember a thread that I made in the "for sale" section that had some great go fast parts in it). So I tore the engine down and took everything off of it that I could sell, but the exterior still had some really good parts, and the interior was near flawless.

So you'd figure that it wouldn't be too difficult to sell it for maybe $500, right? Wrong. Still no takers. I ended up calling the Diabetes association for their donation cars program, thinking that they'd want it. WRONG. They only wanted complete cars! So then I called up one of my favorite wreckers that I usually go to, thinking that they'd give me maybe a couple of hundred bucks. Wrong again. I said that they can have it for free, if they tow it. They ended up waffling, saying that the free tow might not cover the cost of what they can get for the car (especially without the supercharger on it). So I ended up calling another place, and I remember a guy named Fred answering the phone. I told Fred that he can have the car for free, if he tows it. He took me up on the offer, and I was at work at the time that he had booked to tow it, so I was really hoping that the car was gone by the time that I got home.......it was taking up my parking spot and I otherwise had to park my Mustang on the street.

Finally, the car was gone, and it was with mixed feelings.......my anger at this car was approaching ridiculous levels, to the point where it was affecting the rest of my life. I felt like a failure........spent all that money, but you know what? It was almost as if the car just said that it wished that it were dead, and that it had lived out its life. It had used up its other nine lives; this was ten. Also, I was wondering that with all of the modifications, whether the car's spirit just wasn't what it originally was.......a luxury sport car that was meant for comfortable, quiet power, and not screaming, loud power. I kind of felt that in my pursuit of power (like some have mentioned here) has turned their car into something that is spiritually not its own anymore, and that by trying to turn it into an out and out performance car, that its lost its uniqueness.

But I had so many great stories that were associated with the car, and there were times that I enjoyed feeling like I was a part of a secret club, you know? It's something that I still miss. But I don't think that I'll ever own another SC again, just because I think that I'll always want it to be something that it's not. If I want a performance car, I'm just getting a performance car. If I want a daily driver, I'm just getting a daily driver that is better on fuel. If I want something luxurious, then it's just a cruiser, grandpa style. Sometimes we can be guilty of wanting something to be too many things, and that's often when it starts to fail at all of those things.

Tim Groth
09-29-2017, 09:31 AM
So you only got tacky air bags?

I'll get back over to check this weekend - cars are about 30 mins away from the house so I go out there at most once a week.

-Tim

ricardoa1
09-29-2017, 10:50 AM
Great story,

Maybe you have a point about the cars abilities in today's world. It seems very few will go bananas modding the car at this stage most are happy to just keep them running.

There are 4 types of owners/club member. The majority are folks that just want to keep the car running or bring it back to operating standard after the last previous owner handed it off. Then there is the handful that keep them in garages and are Low mileage examples, these owners are stuck with them cause nobody is willing to pay what they are really worth. Those that appreciate it's value and are willing to pay the price already have an SC so there goes that Idea. The third kind Are the young insired crowd won't pay up for the collectible but are willing to build it up, they have some connection about the car family or memory, and mod the living Jesus out of it to catch up to the top dogs in the club, some quit when the road get tough some persevere and pull through and end up with empty wallets in the end. Then there is veterans that has sunk so much money restoring and modding that theire is no turning back they know all too well about the shuffle. There are one or two engineers and craftsman in that category, and their skills allows them to keep the costs down.

So the car is a niche, and getting through frustration seems to go hand in hand with ownership. What's appealing though is that when you get the speed bug this club recognizes you and congratulates you for your persistence and hard work because they know all too well that you did something unique and went against logic to get there.

Was It a smart idea? Not one bit, but was it cool doing it? Most here will agree it is.

David Neibert
09-29-2017, 12:57 PM
Then there is veterans that has sunk so much money restoring and modding that there is no turning back they know all too well about the shuffle.

Yeah, I think I'm in this group.

David

Ira R.
09-29-2017, 01:20 PM

David

You're not the only one =lol=

pro street rich
09-29-2017, 03:15 PM

David

my 35th has been renamed "Money Pit" every time I turn around it is another chunk of money just the other day it was another $1000.. and yes I did get yelled at...lol....Rich

davec73
09-29-2017, 05:17 PM
Great story,

Maybe you have a point about the cars abilities in today's world. It seems very few will go bananas modding the car at this stage most are happy to just keep them running.

There are 4 types of owners/club member. The majority are folks that just want to keep the car running or bring it back to operating standard after the last previous owner handed it off. Then there is the handful that keep them in garages and are Low mileage examples, these owners are stuck with them cause nobody is willing to pay what they are really worth. Those that appreciate it's value and are willing to pay the price already have an SC so there goes that Idea. The third kind Are the young insired crowd won't pay up for the collectible but are willing to build it up, they have some connection about the car family or memory, and mod the living Jesus out of it to catch up to the top dogs in the club, some quit when the road get tough some persevere and pull through and end up with empty wallets in the end. Then there is veterans that has sunk so much money restoring and modding that theire is no turning back they know all too well about the shuffle. There are one or two engineers and craftsman in that category, and their skills allows them to keep the costs down.

So the car is a niche, and getting through frustration seems to go hand in hand with ownership. What's appealing though is that when you get the speed bug this club recognizes you and congratulates you for your persistence and hard work because they know all too well that you did something unique and went against logic to get there.

Was It a smart idea? Not one bit, but was it cool doing it? Most here will agree it is.
I'm in a couple of the categories I was somewhat young when I started but now I'm 44. As far as money is concerned thats where I dont really care its just money a nd you can't take it with you however I have most of all of the big expenses out of the way finally.

ricardoa1
09-29-2017, 09:10 PM
I'm in a couple of the categories I was somewhat young when I started but now I'm 44. As far as money is concerned thats where I dont really care its just money a nd you can't take it with you however I have most of all of the big expenses out of the way finally.

That's a subjective statement, if it's in your budget by all means. I used to think like that, now it's college for the kids, good retirement and keeping my head above water, for the average sc owner they are probably are just starting at life. So I would advice to be a little wiser with their car addiction.

figulaz
09-29-2017, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the props, what's your name?

My name is Lazaro-- and I think I'm squarely in the 1st group. I've had my 92 black automatic about 10 yrs and a 93white 5spd for about 4 yrs (which I did in fact take for spin yesterday) I've proven myself more stubborner than a SC twice over. My 92 was a back up car I bought at tow yard lein sale. I ended up loaning it to my father-in-law who loaned it to my brother-in-law...In about 4 wks he managed to wreck the driver fender and door and blow the headgaskets. Out of sheer stubborness i wouldn't junk it. That turned in to finding this forum --resealing a late model long block, ported late model blower 75mm tb dual core ic. bhc dampner arp studs...underdrive pulleys 5% jackshaft. I replaced the fender and door and sprayed the whole car single stage gloss black. My 80 yr old dad has been driving daily for about 3 yrs or so and still gets it moving on occasion. my 93 belonged to a CA old time SCCOA member Elbert Dooley. He just wanted it go to someone to get it going again and let me have it for $500. It was practically a shelf for his garage and were a coy miller engine used to be-- a hamper. good bones though..straight, no rust 5 spd 3:55 gears and trunk full of parts including headers, centerforce clutch..over about 3 yrs i battled a lein on the car from a defunct credit union.. several trips to the DMV and several hundred dollars later I have clean title. Built a early model block .030 over. late model rods.home ported the heads and had a machine shop do the valves, ported late model exhaust manifolds. mild cam from Dalke. ported late model blower / a 10% pulley,75mm TB, MP plenum FMIC 42 lb injectors. wide band and Dalke tune on the quarterhorse that is for my purposes-- dead nuts spot on. both cars were looking at the crusher..both fought me like a mutha...both on the road and registered and rolling...not perfect..not the fastest but I'm somewhat at peace with what they are. What i like most about these cars is they showed my kids taking difficult tasks--seemingly impossible is possible a bit a time. The best way to chop down a big ol' tree is 5 whacks a day. I'm in my 40s and back in school for about a yr because a mobile app is pretty much going to replace what I've been doing within the next couple years. I guess I'm the old project now!. Luckily I'm stubborn..5 more whacks!!

Jacob_Royer
09-30-2017, 12:11 AM

David

I feel like I am on the edges of this one myself lol

XR7 Dave
09-30-2017, 09:08 AM
I'm not in any of those groups.

I bought the XR7 when it was less than a year old. It was wrecked. Totalled. I fixed it. I had $9k in an $18K car. I was fresh out of college and newly married. I didn't have 50 cents to rub together. We struggled to make the $300/mo payment on the car. Between the two of us we barely made it. During that time I focused my speed bug on a 1981 Dodge Colt I did an engine swap in that car and learned how to swap transmissions in the evenings in my apartment parking lot because it seemed to break them every time I raced someone.

I didn't do a single mod to the car until it was paid off 3 years later. Then I added a 10% pulley and a 180 deg thermostat. Cost under $100. At this point the car was about 4 years old, all my friends were modding their cars, but mine was basically stock and definitely slow. I actually hated the car during this time. I was so poor when the mufflers started rattling I cut them off but it was too loud and I couldn't afford two new mufflers, so I bought one, and had a muffler shop turn it into a single exhaust. It was embarrassing but that's all I could afford. It sounded terrible, wheezing and farting

In 96 Phil was 2 and Connie and I were both working. I could finally afford a couple minor things. I bought a chip, C&L 73mm MAF, and I built my own exhaust working in a speed shop in Texas where I exchanged my help on odd jobs around the place for the ability to work on my car there on weekends. I learned to TIG weld there. After that upgrade the car was quick enough to beat SHO's and Impala SS's. I was getting somewhere. I still kinda hated the car and almost traded it in on a Camaro.

That same year my brother in law bought a 96 Camaro SS (much to my chagrin), and went off bragging how fast it was. I challenged him to a race on the dragstrip and ended up beating him 2 out of 3. It was only at this point that I was finally hooked. I knew I could either spend my life chasing all the guys who owned the true muscle cars (Camaros and Mustangs) and had bigger budgets than me, or I could drive the XR7 and piss off just enough of them that were unsuspecting to make it fun. I knew if I bought something more popular I'd just spend my life playing catch up and I didn't have the money for that and probably never would.

So in truth the XR7 saved me a lot of money and heartache. Throughout it's modded life I promised myself never to take money off the table to mod it, and to only do things that I was pretty sure I would like. It spent many years unmodded, or slow, or boring. It did tow vehicle duty when I was autocrossing, it did truck duty when I needed to haul transmissions from the junkyard, and it did daily commuting for years and years.

In the end I couldn't tell you how much I did or didn't spend on it. Frankly it doesn't matter, because I only used pocket change to mod it anyway. How much money does one spend going out on weekends for a year? I'm sure you don't know. I don't know. It's the same with my car. To this day I don't have record of what I've spent, but none of it went on credit cards, none of it prevented anything else we might have done, and in the end idk if it actually cost me anything.

The first round of big mods for the car came in 2001 when I bought Denis Demitratos' car. I paid I think $3000 for it, and then turned around and sold parts off it until I had $0 in the mods I kept from it. I broke even on the car and ended up with a FMIC, Sport blower, 3.55 gears, Centerforce clutch, Ripper shifter, long tube headers and some worn out drag radials that eventually broke both of my axles. lol

The XR7 now sits on the side of the house rusting away because we put well over 200K on it and the body simply didn't hold up. But I have other cars now and I don't put money into them either. The fact that I'm not going to be at the Shootout this year for the first time in 15 years is further evidence to the fact that I've been disciplined somewhat over the years to do only what I can afford. In this case it's more time than money, but time = money so I guess it's the same thing in the end.

I won't ever sell my fleet of SC's. Some come and go when people show up who I think are better matches for some of them than I am. I try to spread the love when I can and I do my best to keep worthy SC's rolling. I'll be driving these I suppose when they pull my driver's license because I very seriously have enough of these to keep driving them for the rest of my useful life.

What makes it interesting to me is trying new things and reminding myself that I enjoy driving these even though I know they aren't the best cars in the world. It's kind of like your family, you all have flaws and there is always that one idiot, but you are family and you aren't going to go out and find a new one. I kind of feel like that about the SC's. Sure they have plenty of flaws, but so do I and we are family. I didn't choose the XR7 in the beginning just like you don't choose your family, it was actually chosen for me (honestly it was literally chosen for me!). I've loved it and hated it. The first time I drove it - with no windshield! - I absolutely knew I had never driven such a refined automobile - ever. I can't describe the euphoria I felt. I guess imagine driving a Bugatti. It was that good (at the time) - or maybe it was just the wind in my face, idk. It was February after all. Of course at the time my daily was a 1963 Falcon so that should help with perspective. On a side note, the first thing we did after the XR7 was back on the road was race, and the Falcon destroyed the XR7. lol

Thing that sticks out for me is that there were literally years and years when I couldn't do a single mod to the car because time and money didn't allow. It was incredibly frustrating and I don't know that there are any virtues to be gained from the experience. It just was what it was. I'm glad I didn't ditch it all those times when i nearly did. I'm sure I would have been fine modding something else or not at all even, but here I am still modding these things and its has been a good experience all in all. At this point I know I'll be driving these forever, but it's not a resignation or utopia, it just is what it is and I'm good with that.

BUDXR7
09-30-2017, 03:27 PM
Not that I have a ton of time between work, home and family but I wish the Boston community was more active .... or active at all should I say. I'd always be willing to entertain some discussion on a get together or meeting at a show. I'm not depressed about my car even though I only put about 500 miles a year on it but it would be nice to meet some people with as bad taste in cars as me. The shootout just isn't in the cards for me.

davec73
09-30-2017, 07:11 PM
That's a subjective statement, if it's in your budget by all means. I used to think like that, now it's college for the kids, good retirement and keeping my head above water, for the average sc owner they are probably are just starting at life. So I would advice to be a little wiser with their car addiction.
Yeah Kind of but if you work at it like I do not really. I dont use any of my income on this car Ricardoa. I only use bonus money expense money etc. I realize how blessed I am and thank God for it everyday. I could have easily just went out and bought a black on black GT500 or super snake but here I am building MY 25 year old car right along with the rest of you. I was in the same place alot of you were back in 2002 or so when I bought my first sc I could barely afford to put 93 octane in it but I loved that car and it is why this car exists. As my girls get older I know life's priorities are going to change which is why I personally have been on the timeline I have with this car. I dont really know what im going to do with myself when I get the car the way I want it lol scary to even think of all the spare time I will have to do things with family and friends. I appreciate what you've done with your cars Ricardoe they are an inspiration to alot of us my friend!

ricardoa1
09-30-2017, 09:13 PM
Yeah Kind of but if you work at it like I do not really. I dont use any of my income on this car Ricardoa. I only use bonus money expense money etc. I realize how blessed I am and thank God for it everyday. I could have easily just went out and bought a black on black GT500 or super snake but here I am building MY 25 year old car right along with the rest of you. I was in the same place alot of you were back in 2002 or so when I bought my first sc I could barely afford to put 93 octane in it but I loved that car and it is why this car exists. As my girls get older I know life's priorities are going to change which is why I personally have been on the timeline I have with this car. I dont really know what im going to do with myself when I get the car the way I want it lol scary to even think of all the spare time I will have to do things with family and friends. I appreciate what you've done with your cars Ricardoe they are an inspiration to alot of us my friend!

Yeah I guess the time line has passed for me but somehow We all need to keep wrenching it seems. This was my goal to finish the blue car and the mustang before the baby arrival. So I can just enjoy and not think too much about wanting to go faster set expectations right and spend time with my kids and my new family. all in all I feel blessed myself but other times I fall into the give me a break life.

Just put the kids down to sleep time to go measure drive line angles last night was alarm ripping. And I wish I had done it sooner the starter sounds more powerful and have not experienced, after 10 cranks, the dreaded click of the solenoid but no engagement of the starter. Been chasing for a solution to that for years, I hope I never have starting problems ever again.

davec73
09-30-2017, 09:43 PM
Yeah I guess the time line has passed for me but somehow We all need to keep wrenching it seems. This was my goal to finish the blue car and the mustang before the baby arrival. So I can just enjoy and not think too much about wanting to go faster set expectations right and spend time with my kids and my new family. all in all I feel blessed myself but other times I fall into the give me a break life.

Just put the kids down to sleep time to go measure drive line angles last night was alarm ripping. And I wish I had done it sooner the starter sounds more powerful and have not experienced, after 10 cranks, the dreaded click of the solenoid but no engagement of the starter. Been chasing for a solution to that for years, I hope I never have starting problems ever again.

That's awesome! I generally do 90% off the stuff i do once my girls are all to bed as well that way its quiet and I'm not taking time for my stuff away from them. tonight's task is wiring the n2mb box then test it tomorrow lol

Tim Groth
10-02-2017, 09:46 AM
Took some McGuire's interior cleaner over yesterday to see if that did anything to the sticky bags :p and the answer is no. It's almost like a glazed donut feel and texture on the 2 spares I have.

Sorry boss.

-Tim

ricardoa1
10-02-2017, 11:41 PM
Thats ok I have bigger problems now.

I was trying to fix the vibes by doing all this drivetrain angle junk and one of the shaft was vibrating baddly. I spent all day between kids and working remotely or pretending to work for my job. Put a better axle shaft and the vibes are still there, so carrier side bearings might be shot. I dont have a spare, the annie one is in pieces and its a 2.73 this was my only 3.27 and the 3.08 is also in pieces I also ran out of time three full days of work ahead. So the trip is now in jeapordy. Its not meant to be. I could drive if i keep it under 60 but that wont fix me when I arrive no parts and this shaft will probably get damaged aswell. Im tapped out, going to sleep it the sore off.

davec73
10-03-2017, 08:24 AM
Thats ok I have bigger problems now.

I was trying to fix the vibes by doing all this drivetrain angle junk and one of the shaft was vibrating baddly. I spent all day between kids and working remotely or pretending to work for my job. Put a better axle shaft and the vibes are still there, so carrier side bearings might be shot. I dont have a spare, the annie one is in pieces and its a 2.73 this was my only 3.27 and the 3.08 is also in pieces I also ran out of time three full days of work ahead. So the trip is now in jeapordy. Its not meant to be. I could drive if i keep it under 60 but that wont fix me when I arrive no parts and this shaft will probably get damaged aswell. Im tapped out, going to sleep it the sore off.
all you have to do is remove the ring gear from the anny dif and blue. use the center section with th the ring gear out of the blue car.

BLOWN38
10-03-2017, 10:11 AM
I'd replace the axle bearing in the one side before I went pulling the whole case out.

davec73
10-03-2017, 10:17 AM
I'd replace the axle bearing in the one side before I went pulling the whole case out.
Good idea chris. That may be the issue.

ricardoa1
10-03-2017, 10:52 AM

Itís all back together, the only plan right now is to drive it down and hope for the best I donít have time to tear into it this week. Maybe assess the damage with 20plus SC gear heads, Iíll bring parts to put together a third member, I donít remember what I have. and maybe will need some peeps to maybe turn a wrench or two.

Unless someone has one ready to go that I can purchase 3.27

MadMikeyL
10-03-2017, 11:54 AM
What day are you heading down? If you want to stop by my shop in NJ maybe on Thursday, we can put the car on the lift and track down the vibrations, and if it is the diff, I have a known good 3.27TL in a 97 Bird I can swap it out for.

ricardoa1
10-03-2017, 02:54 PM
What day are you heading down? If you want to stop by my shop in NJ maybe on Thursday, we can put the car on the lift and track down the vibrations, and if it is the diff, I have a known good 3.27TL in a 97 Bird I can swap it out for.

Sent you a PM

davec73
10-03-2017, 07:34 PM
Sent you a PM

Hells yeah!