brake problem

ZOOMBUGGY3

whats up guys my brothers sc has another problem from what he tells me is that he was tdriving and the brake pedal got very hard and the car barly stopedhe said the master was empty he said he added 12oz of fluid but he filled it to the very top (dumb ass).
so now its leaking out the anti-lock light and brake light wont go off and the pedal is stiff as a rock.im thinking the accumulator is bad can one of u guys help me out.

Does the pump run at all? Could be the pump relay.
Turn the key on to the run position but don't start the engine.. listen for the sound of the pump running. If it doesn't run and the lights stay on, check the ABS pump relay.

What year SC is this???

If it is an '89 - '92, then the ABS relay is up by the firewall on the passenger side of the engine bay. If it is a '93 - '95, then the relay is up by the headlights on the driver's side (I think). I know it is somewhere near the front of the driver's side of the engine bay. You may also want to check the fuse in the main power buss (also under the hood). Hopefully the fuse popped before the pump burned up. At any rate, if it is the early model system (Teves Mark II '89 - '92) you can get a rebuilt one with a 36-month warranty from Prior Remanufacturing for around $400.00(US). Stay away from the stealership (they want around $1200.00 and I don't think they give this kind of warranty).

ok here is a update i found the relay it was pluged in so i hit it a few times with the plastic end of a screwdriver.and the plastic top came off (opps stupid me) so i tripped the relay with my finger and the pumped turnered on and the accumulator filled up with brake fluid and the anti-brake light went out then i started the car and i could see that the relay would work by itself so i put that back together and went in and steped on the brake and every time i steped on it the anti-brake light would come on and then go out which tells me that the accumulator is bad.right correct me if im wrong on this.so if u guys think that something else could be wrong please tell me.

Yup. Especially if the pump runs every pedal press. You shoud still replace that realy though... its your brakes and thems kinda crucial.

If you replace the accumulator (contact Prior Remanufacturing and order it, costs around $100.00) that should save the pump. I would also replace the relay. (GP Sorensen part # MR120 at Advance Auto for around $15.00). The relay can stick causing the pump to run constantly (this will fry the pump and drain the battery) or it will hang open and you won't have any braking (like you have already experienced).

The main thing is, don't put this off....it will cost you a lot more $$ if you do.......

accumulator + pump relay.. replace both of them. See Larry's part #s in the previous message.

On the accumulator replacement, couple of notes:
- Push brake pedal 20 times key off to release the residual pressure. (You won't have much with a lame accumulator, but just to be safe).
- Remove, or loosen, the plastic cowling under the windshield on the driver side.
- Use a 12mm (do NOT use 7/16ths) hex socket to loosen the old accumulator.
- After you install the replacement, bleeding the brakes isn't necessary, but you'll need to add fluid. As for me, I'd do it anyway as I prefer clean brake fluid in the system.

Hope this helps.:)

Back