Exhaust

romigh871

I was wondering what the best setup would be for my 90 SC. Right now the cats are gutted. I want to maintain as much torque as possible, but also get some more hp and a better sound. Should i keep my res. and just get mufflers. Or should i loss the res and keep stock mufflers? I want to spend at the most like 400 dollars. So i plan on keeping my stock piping. Which brand will give me the deepest sound but not too loud? Thanks

Sean

May I ask how you gutted your cats? Mine are at such a sharp angle, I don't think I can get anything in there to gut them out. Thanks!

i didnt do it the guy who had the car before me said that they were rattling real bad so he took them off and gutted them and then put them back on. Me and my friend did it to his 90 Na and it took some time but we got them off

You have to cut the pipe right after the cat and drop them down to gut them. Kind of a pain but a sleeve and some clamps will bolt it all back together.

I don't know about the gutted cats sounding tingy, but I had my cats cut out and a set of custom down tubes put in. They don't exactly sound tingy, but I will soon be doing some thing different. They sound like a two-stroke bike pipe. I have no resonator and I have performer mufflers on my car. I was told that if I put a flomaster res. and a set of flomaster chamber mufflers on it it will sound deep and throaty. Either way you don,t want to take out the cats with out having a decent resonator.

The problem with gutted cats (besided being illegal in some areas) is that it leaves that big hollow area just after the manifold. The exhaust gas must expand to fill that area and then be compressed again to enter the smaller pipe. Someone gutted the cats on my 94 5-speed before I got it and it does make a sort of metallic ringing sound that I do not care for.

The best way would be to get new downtubes without cats where allowed by local law or to put on high flow cats. It is pretty easy to make a bad sounding or droning exhaust on these supercharged V6 cars.

Here..

I have a magnaflow resonator...I beleive the 18'' long one with two universal 14'' dynomax mufflers I got for 32.99 a piece. Of course the resonator was 117 shipped to my door. I would HIGHLY recommend this set-up. My car previously had stock mufflers with no resonator and that thing was raspy! Sounds almost stock except a little more throaty. At a dead stop you would think it had a V8 and it doesn't get raspy at WOT. Mines a 91 SC, you can prolly have it put on fairly cheap. Beleive it or no I don't think you will really notice a torque loss. A little bit maybe. But what is the worry? Your car is still going to have massive torque and take a lot of other cars off the line and you will only help your high end out which is what these cars need. Moving ~4000 pounds is not easy.

so downtubes will sound better than gutted cats...Maybe I can gut mine (free) and get a magnaflow resonator. Then if I don't klike the sound, I can get downtubes put on...

Or maybe I could weld that up myself...perhaps make a fixture outta 2x4s and some universal tailpipe u-bolts, and cut the cats out and weld up some metal tubing in lace of the cats...

So does the gutted/downtube with a magnaflow resonator,and stock mufflers sound like a decent setup????

91BLOWNSC

It sounds like a good idea i will have to get some estimates done and will post about it after the holiday weekend to see what you think. Thanks for the info eveyone.

I posted a thread about what our cars can handle boost wise on TCCOA and one of the replys said that if i add and exhaust that it would show a lower reading on the boost gauge but be faster. What happend to your when you had your exhaust put on compared to before it was on?

Re: Here..

91BLOWNSC said:
I have a magnaflow resonator...I beleive the 18'' long one with two universal 14'' dynomax mufflers I got for 32.99 a piece. Of course the resonator was 117 shipped to my door. I would HIGHLY recommend this set-up.

As I run out of muffler shops, this is something I'm considering. Did you keep the stock pipes and just swap the mentioned parts, or did you get new pipes?
The car seems to run out of breath just after 4000 RPM's, so I'm hoping that opening things up intake/exhaust will change that. Do you feel a difference now?
I'm wondering if this setup is enough to keep HG's from blowing if I go to a 5% pulley and mess with the air intake etc. I really wanted a 3" center section pipe, but I'm not swapping out the gas tank to get it.

Back