Help to remove center console 91 auto

BeerGarage

Hi

I am trying to remove the front upper part of the center console, not the armrest part. I have covered a small plastic piece with leather and want to install it on the underside of the console around the brake handle.

I have removed the three screws just under the armrest. I can move the center console a bit. The back moves side to side. The front under the dash seems well anchored. It seems to pivot near the right side.

Is there a clip or bolt I am missing?

Thank you.

Using my '90 Anny as an example, start by removing the screws on the upper rear edge of the console (as you've done) seen with the center box lid open. Remove the lid (screws at rear/hinge) if needed.

I remove the ash tray, set the brake handle up and the trans handle back - D or L, maybe? No screws on the front edge that I recall - just lift gently from the rear, but the harness/connectors on the two switches aren't very long, so you'll need to lift the console enough to release them first before you can remove the console. Bit of a puzzle, but it will come free without a struggle, just watch to not damage the shifter surround (might stick if original and armoral'd?) etc. as you come out.

When going back together (vacuum carpet if needed first), be sure the bulb is still in the lens for the box light. Sockets from the front, and easy to knock loose by the time you fuss reconnecting the switches (the harnesses are short & switch specific, so you can't mix them - might not hurt to apply a bit of connector grease while apart). Test the lid light and switches before committing all the screws.

Last edited:
Thank you, KMT.

Looks like in the 91 there are three clips. Only one clip was connected. The one in the front on the right. I held down the bottom part while I pulled up on the top part of the console and it popped out. Then removing it was as you said.

Then I glued the leather brake cover into place and it looks sweet.

The leather was from our old couch. I saved all the leather. I have repaired baseball gloves, other baseball gloves, and this. That's like 1/500th of a couch.

Back