Off Topic Motor Oil Quesiton

rickbtbird

I live in New England I have a house backup generator that calls for 5w30 in temperatures below 32°F and 10W30 in temperatures above 32°F. I've been running 10W30 since I've had it. So far we haven't had any cold day power outages. It's time to do an oil change. Is there a better suited oil in climate like mine that would give me year round protection?

BTW my Super Coupe is loving this fall cool weather.

I live off grid and have a back up genny for my solar system. I just run the recomended 5w30 in it year round with no issues. Lower viscosity makes for easier starting in cold weather.

Tom

They should both provide adequate protection year-round. If I were to choose, I'd go with the "broader" range of protection and go with a 5w-30 and just keep up with the oil changes. Seeing that you are in NE, you will have stretches of time well below the 32*F mark.

Now, let's see some pix of that pearl white sc in NE fall scenery man! :)

I would run a synthetic 5w30 in it. Synthetic oils are less susceptible to temperature changes, so it will provide plenty of protection year round without worrying about changing it.

Since it's only a lower number (cold) difference, it's really only the start-up viscosity that is different between the two. They are both have the oil properties of 30 weight when at 210°F....5W is just thinner when cold.

So like others have said, just run 5W30 all the time.:)

I put rottela 5-40 synthetic in just about everything now days. Seems everything runs better and starts nice in the cold.

Back