instrument/gauge lights

rickbtbird

Just recently my instrument/gauge lights started acting up. Only around where the gauges are. Then the came back on. Today on the way home nothing. Weird how they came back on and now nothing. Tomorrow who knows :rolleyes:. I won't be able to do any troubleshooting until this weekend.

I had a similar issue once...turned out last time I R & R'd the cluster I didn't fully seat one of the large wire harness connectors. Confirm they are square to the pocket and the retaining clips are firmly seated. Might not hurt to have the cluster out of the way so you can swab some connector grease on the terminals as part of the process.

Still no joy, check the multi-wire ignition switch down on the side of the steering column. Replace it depending on age. Still no joy, find another cluster to test with so you can see if that's the issue.

In between KMT's two steps, be sure to remove/reinstall the twist lock sockets; you may have oxidation under the contacts also.

RwP

In between KMT's two steps, be sure to remove/reinstall the twist lock sockets; you may have oxidation under the contacts also.

RwP

Good tip, thanks for adding. Include a bit of bulb/connector grease as part of that process and live large ;)

If you are replacing new bulbs (which I recommend, since you're there) make sure you get good quality ones. I ordered some bulk bulbs from the interwebs and two of them ended up acting up after I put the cluster back together. Eventually one started working correctly but currently I still cant see the green arrow when turning left on the teal car :).

Will be fixing the speedo gear in the chameleon during the winter and I was going to ask for brand recommendations for good bulbs.

Back