This Day In History - 1979 “The Dukes of Hazzard” premieres

DamonPearl94

“The Dukes of Hazzard” premieres - Jan 26, 1979 - HISTORY.com

On this day in 1979, “The Dukes of Hazzard,” a television comedy about two good-old-boy cousins in the rural South and their souped-up 1969 Dodge Charger known as the General Lee, debuts on CBS. The show, which originally aired for seven seasons, centered around cousins Bo Duke (John Schneider) and Luke Duke (Tom Wopat) and their ongoing efforts to elude their nemeses, the crooked county commissioner “Boss” Jefferson Davis Hogg (Sorrell Booke) and the bumbling Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane (James Best).

“The Dukes of Hazzard” was known for its car chases and stunts and the General Lee, which had an orange paint job, a Confederate flag across its roof and the numbers “01” on its welded-shut doors, became a star of the show. The General Lee also had a horn that played the first 12 notes of the song “Dixie.” Due to all the fast driving, jumps and crashes, it was common for several different General Lees to be used during the filming of each episode.

live-a-dukes-of-hazard-fantasy-with-this-1968-charger-general-lee-rental-daisy-duke-not-included.jpg

Happy Birthday DoH! Def one of my favorite shows as a tyke.

My claim to fame here is that I got a kiss from DD many years ago. She had married my friends dad. Got the kiss when I was out in CA for a visit.

c1eaa59cbfba9e5d7c83081a2c058c92.jpg

Back