power steering bypass/ delete? belt size? any one done it?

ss92sc

i might have missed a thread on this topic, if so forgive me please. I replaced my p/s pump a few months back and it recently locked up again. I cant afford to fix it at the moment but desperately need the car to be able to be driven. Has anyone ever bypassed the p/s pump while leaving it on the car but removing the pully? is anyone aware of the impact it will make on the car other than no p/s? what belt size did you use? All feed back is appreciated. thank you very much in advance.

Scott

i might have missed a thread on this topic, if so forgive me please. I replaced my p/s pump a few months back and it recently locked up again. I cant afford to fix it at the moment but desperately need the car to be able to be driven. Has anyone ever bypassed the p/s pump while leaving it on the car but removing the pully? is anyone aware of the impact it will make on the car other than no p/s? what belt size did you use? All feed back is appreciated. thank you very much in advance.

Scott

You don't even have to remove the pulley to bypass it, but maybe that is only when running underdrive pulleys. I was able to wire-tie the existing belt out of the way so that I didn't have to remove the lower radiator hose. I don't recall what size belt I used, or about the longevity of running that way--I only ran that way at one SC Shootout (or about 6-8 passes down the track). I'm pretty sure there is a belt length called out somewhere on this site.

What year was your sc? Was it equipped with a power steering pressure switch? I measured and purchased a belt to prorpery fit, but now the car just turns over, doesnt even try to fire, DIS, Cam and crank sensors are brand new. Car was running before bypassing the p/s pump....did your car fire normally?))

Mine is a 92 and bypassing the power steering had absolutely no effect on the car running. Did you change all of those other items at the same time you bypassed the power steering pump? If so, I would suspect one of those items. Even if you didn't, you may have hit some wiring or something.

Car was running, pumped locked and killed the car...bypassed the belt, now nothing just cranks

Car was running, pumped locked and killed the car...bypassed the belt, now nothing just cranks

If I am understanding correctly to bypass the pump you took off the power steering pulley? If that's true I am confident you would have had to removed the Innercooler. How did you reseal the pipes? I'm going to guess you have a vac leak or the belt knocked out the Crank sensor when this event occurred - only rational things I can conclude with your posts.

Also if you need a pump I have several laying around that you can have for the cost of shipping...shoot me a PM if interested.

-Tim

If I am understanding correctly to bypass the pump you took off the power steering pulley? If that's true I am confident you would have had to removed the Innercooler. How did you reseal the pipes? I'm going to guess you have a vac leak or the belt knocked out the Crank sensor when this event occurred - only rational things I can conclude with your posts.

Also if you need a pump I have several laying around that you can have for the cost of shipping...shoot me a PM if interested.

-Tim

I have had the intercooler out a few times and resealed it every time. as for bypassing the power steering pump i did not remove the pulley i measured the approximate size i would need and bought a shorter belt. but it was too short so i had to go back to stock pulleys on rather than underdrive pulleys... Between the car running normal (sitting in driveway idling) and now nothing mechanical has come off the car accept the pulleys, just has a shorter belt was added. i have spark on all cylinders, and i havent tested the pressure but i have fuel at the filter and on the fuel rail. (last time it would try and fire and feel like timings off and running on 2 cylinders it turned out to be a fuel filter)
i hate having to rig stuff together for this very reason, but my current living situation isnt what i signed up for by far, and feel like i have no choice if i want to keep the car, which is my only means for transportation. once im settled in in a new place after the end of the month i would love to purchase a pump from you.

thank you,

scott

do a search

some time ago I posted the way to get rid of the pump and keep the belt the same. I used a pulley from a diesel truck to run in place of the pump. it is a simple switch if you want to look it up....Rich

Back