burst clutch line 1990 SC

spetz01

Hey guys, just ran into a problem. I went to start the car today to get it back in the garage. Clutch went right to the floor after a popping sound. Can't complain, that parts original.

There's oil on the ground, closer to the transmission. I haven't been under yet, but what should I be looking at to replace?

Did you look under the dash to see if the clutch pedal hardware is ok? Did you look under the hood to see if the clutch master cylinder is empty?

You originally said "Can't complain, that parts original." vs "new part" now- Does that mean you used the old clutch assembly but only replaced the slave...?

Last edited:
The slave was "new" when I did the build in 2006ish. Other than a new clutch, that's all I replaced.

So it's just the line going into the slave cylinder, it simply popped out. Not sure why? But, it doesn't also doesn't seem to want to "pop"back in. I know i had to use the tool to it out, do I need to use it to reinstall it? Its been years since I was under that area working, can't remember lol....getting old. Time to dig out the manual.

I should replace that line, the end is showing some signs of corrosion close to where the O ring is. I'm guessing it's a pain to get out?

I'd like to get it moving at least. I installed a lift in the garage last fall. Of course this happened while it wasn't on it.

Last edited:
To reconnect, it should just be a matter of loosening the bleed valve so there isn't any pressure in the line when you reseat it. Don't forget to tighten it back down.

If it continues to pop out, it might just need a fresh plastic sleeve and any corrosion cleaned up. Still no joy, replace the line.

To reconnect, it should just be a matter of loosening the bleed valve so there isn't any pressure in the line when you reseat it. Don't forget to tighten it back down.

If it continues to pop out, it might just need a fresh plastic sleeve and any corrosion cleaned up. Still no joy, replace the line.

I got it back in for now, I'll have to bleed it and see if it holds. Thanks for the help KMT.

Any ideas on why this would let go? Cars been sitting in the garage since it snowed around October.

Combination of things, most likely. Maybe things rusted up a bit while sitting and the clutch disc mated to the flywheel & pressure plate...when you pushed on the pedal, it provided too much resistance and the socket on the line let go...weak link kind of thing.

Last edited:
Back