N/A Head Gasket/Studs

atlantis737

Hi all,

I have a 1993 N/A 3.8L Cougar. My head gasket blew and I'm replacing them. I want to over-build for my own peace of mind. I want to use an MLS gasket and ARP head studs. I have done a little searching and have seen that the GM 2.8L V6 head studs work, but I have also read a few things that say they need different washers, but no more details on exactly what washers to get. I am also seeing several MLS gaskets for the Mustang heads or for S/C engines, but none specifically for an N/A 1993. Can anyone verify an MLS head gasket that is the correct thickness and shape for my engine?

Thanks in advance!

Head Gskt

I thought the coolant passages in the S/C head were smaller then
what is used in the N/A heads ?

You will need to get the deck and the head machined to seal against the MLS gaskets. The steel gaskets were used in the 1997+ 3.8/3.9/4.2 engines so you'll need to get those. Any headgasket listed specifically for your car will be the OEM style graphite gasket. I can't help with the studs.

I would look up specific head gaskets for your car, SC head gaskets are probably way different, everything is beefier and forged for the SC, I wouldn't complicate things more than they need to be...just my .02 cents

Back