Afew questions for My New SC

SCspeedster

Hello Everyone at SCCOA!
Im happy to be back here again! I Have been wanting another SC ever since I sold my 91' auto. about 8 yrs ago. After I sold it I found myself looking for another SC daily and either never had the cash to buy 1 or it was not what I wanted which would basically be a 89'-93' SC 5 spd with a sunroof. I purchased a bone stock Cali. unabused 93' SuperCoupe 5speed last month with 79,000 miles and have been going through the car fixing every little detail and improving/adding the cars performance like an obsession everyday all night and all day.

The car was neglected and ran alittle rough, probably had the original spark plug and spark plug wires, and it wouldn't surprise me if the the m.a.f.s. was never cleaned. The Supercharger was alittle noisy and was about empty on supercharger fluid when i checked it. I syphoned the last about 1 oz. of dirty fluid from the supercharger and added 8 oz. of new SC fluid to top it off and it got much quieter and smoother. It runs flawlessly now with a fresh tune up and new (unbroken) solid motor mounts and I couldn't be happier with it. Especially with the overdrive SC pulley I installed. I do have acouple questions though please, I was looking throughout the internet for answers but still need alittle help with acouple questions.

The first question I have is regarding the cimate cntrl., weather I have the heater on or the a/c on, after shutting the ignition off and then on again the digital temp gauge will be reset to 75 everytime. Is this normal?

Next question is I see a shift light when im starting the car but never when driving. Any RPM I reach, any speed, over 100 or redline, or both... never a shift light. I read that only the automatic SC had a shift light? I had my 91' auto. SC and did the same things I mentioned but never saw a shift light then either.
And how about the "Firm Ride".. doesn't not only the suspension but the steering wheel get tighter also when the firm ride is turned on? I thought for sure my 91" steering would stiffen up when the firm ride was activated but it does not appear to happen on my 93' and also I do not see anything these days online about the SC steering wheel getting stiffer when the firm ride is on.

And last question I have is my seatbelt light comes on and I wonder if it even works correctly? The seatbelt light will come on and stay on occassionally when im driving unless I unbuckle then rebuckle either the auto. shoulder belt, or I will buckle then unbuckle the lap belt for it to go off, ive even had to buckle and unbuckle the passenger belts with nobody even sitting there in order for the seatbelt light to go off. Then it will usually stay off? Anyone know why?
I appreciate all your helps..
Bill

I really like these cars and unfortunately they are going more and more to junk yards. Just today I went to a wrecking yard looking for a cassette player delete for my 93' and they are about to put out a 91' SC that was a very nice car. Fully loaded besides the sunroof, I was looking at it at the nobody allowed section and I asked the worker when it would be out to start stripping and he told me probably tomorrow... if anyone cares out here in southern Cali. It was a nice car, auto. and it had only 91,000 miles on it. Prob. had a blown head gasket.

I think there would be alot more of these SC around if they didnt blow the headgaskets from the higher engine temps. and from running high boost whenever we want to with a open road in front of us. I had a fan on my intercooler on my 91' which im glad i took off right before selling the car. I kept it and installed it on my 93' here along with another fan in front of the a/c condensor on a toggle switch and instead of the cars temperature ("NORM") running at the end of the "M" on the temp. gauge when completely warmed up and driving around town it stays at the "O" instead when again the same completely warmed up and driving around town when I have them both on. If I turn them off I will see the temp gauge climb, and if I turn them on again, the temp gauge will go down to the "O" pretty quick.

Congrats on being back in an SC. The 5 speeds are always fun!

I don't think that's normal for the climate control. Check the 5 amp fuse in the fuse box of the engine compartment label memory. It might be related to your problem.

The shift light won't come on until you're doing well over 120 in 4th gear. Its biggest function is telling you whether or not the ecm is receiving a crank signal.

My steering wheel only becomes stiffer as speed increases regardless of the position of the firm ride switch.

I have no insight for you on the seat belt issue other than a possible sticky switch.

Last edited:
The only time my climate control temperature resets to 75°F is when I disconnect the battery. The memory fuse suggested above is a good place to start, but might not be the culprit.

Yep, that was the prob. with the climate cntrl. I was happy to see the 5 amp fuse blown, and happier to see it working correctly now. Thank you guys!

The seatbelt light seems to not be coming on as much. I just hope that it works correctly if needed..! I pulled on the seatbelts pretty hard acouple of times while practically slamming the brakes and didn't get any locking mechanism engaging on the belts. They just pulled right out.

Cool! I have to be doing over 120 in 4th for the shift light to come on? If I would have known that I would have kept it in 4th while doing so all these times.. :)
I was with my wife acouple days ago in the SC and floored it from a stop while jumping on the freeway.. (I couldn't help myself), I got to 125 to 130 before I had to slow down because of traffic. It got there quick! I remembered my old SC I had gotten a 145 speedo from a 94-95 SC. Later on that day I looked on Ebay and got lucky to find a 145 speedo which I "made a offer" which got accepted, and then I bought.

Ok, I think my steering wheel does get tighter as I increase speed actually.

I tried posting acouple of pics of my SC acouple times but didn't seem to properly give me the option to do so. And when I click to "add my vehicles to the garage" it gives me a error and says I "reached the maximum number of vehicles". I will email admin. or something on that.

THANKS ALOT for your help on my questions.

Yep, that was the prob. with the climate cntrl. I was happy to see the 5 amp fuse blown, and happier to see it working correctly now. Thank you guys!

The seatbelt light seems to not be coming on as much. I just hope that it works correctly if needed..! I pulled on the seatbelts pretty hard acouple of times while practically slamming the brakes and didn't get any locking mechanism engaging on the belts. They just pulled right out.

Cool! I have to be doing over 120 in 4th for the shift light to come on? If I would have known that I would have kept it in 4th while doing so all these times.. :)
I was with my wife acouple days ago in the SC and floored it from a stop while jumping on the freeway.. (I couldn't help myself), I got to 125 to 130 before I had to slow down because of traffic. It got there quick! I remembered my old SC I had gotten a 145 speedo from a 94-95 SC. Later on that day I looked on Ebay and got lucky to find a 145 speedo which I "made a offer" which got accepted, and then I bought.

Ok, I think my steering wheel does get tighter as I increase speed actually.

I tried posting acouple of pics of my SC acouple times but didn't seem to properly give me the option to do so. And when I click to "add my vehicles to the garage" it gives me a error and says I "reached the maximum number of vehicles". I will email admin. or something on that.

THANKS ALOT for your help on my questions.

You need to be a dues paying SCCoA member to get a garage page and several other things. See the post linked below for a list of Member Benefits and instructions on how to join.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?120821-Membership-is-now-OPEN!&p=946358#post946358

Thanks, David

Back