Stock Amp and Sub Question?

Red Thunder SC

Ok, I got a stock SC sub and amp a while back, but I can't seem to figure out how to hook it up. It seems to be missing a plug. I found the power plug (2 wires) but there is another 6 or so pin plug that looks like it is supposed to plug into the sub amp, and I can't find that in my trunk anywhere. If I don't have a plug, would I be able to direct wire it off of the speaker's amp?

I'm pretty sure that my car is wired for it (or at least it was), it has fords prem. JBL package and according to the owner's manual, they come stock with a sub.

Any help here would be great.

comes from the other amp

If you look at the amp that powers all the other speakers, it sits in the black tray on the right side, there should be a wire coming from it with the plug on the end that your looking for. It may be just laying up in the tray or something. That is where it should be unless someone has cut it off. It shouldnt be too hard to find as long as its still there! Good Luck

JBL amps

Besides the sub woofer amp, there is another amp that is specific to the JBL system. It has the cable that feeds the sub woofer amp.
The regular premium sound amp does'nt have a feed to a sub woofer amp. Be sure you have the JBL amp.

hmmm

My regular amp does not have that wire with a plug on it so I am thinking that someone may have switched the amps on me. Is there anyway that I can tell if it is the right amp ( JBL ) by looking at the regular amp? (either that or someone switched the interior logos in my car so that they say "JBL" instead of ford's Prem. sound") :(

By the way, thank you for all of the help, I really appreciate being able to get some straight answers.

Stephan.

If I may please jump in here,

"Besides the sub woofer amp, there is another amp that is specific to the JBL system. It has the cable that feeds the sub woofer amp.
The regular premium sound amp does'nt have a feed to a sub woofer amp. Be sure you have the JBL amp. "

Thank you, Tom Mack. Stereos are just not my forte and I was not understanding the different setups. So the subwoofer DOES have it's own amp. This is what confused me when I saw 2 amps in my 35th. The premium sound has it's own amp and then there is the JBL that is an amp that then powers another amp for the sub? The EVTM just isn't clear about that (or I guess I'm just getting too blind to see it.) Never said I was an expert for sure. Thank you for explaining this. The timing could not have been more perfect for me.

Stephan, I hope you get things ironed out. The different stereo setups for these cars doesn't make it easy for sure.

Happy Holidays to everyone.

Red Thunder SC: What year is your car?

tbirdsc35th: Look on page 151-5 of the 1990 EVTM, you'll see the units in question.

'bird

All I know of is the 2 amps, one in the tray, and one mounted to the subwoofer.

I had the premium sound without a sub, in a lincoln towncar (1991), and had it with a sub in the SC (90).

The SC amp (in the tray) was black with jbl stickers and had the wire comming out to feed the sub.

The one int he lincoln was silver and had no wire sticking out, and had no jbl stickers, no label other than a ford label...

When I sold the town car, I agreed to put an old pioneer in the lincoln and remove the stock premium sound unit.

I also had to remove the factory amp and use a cable to bypass the factory amp. This cable was available at best buy in the factory cable kit. My guess is that you can use this kit ($15.00) and use the pypass cable (nothing more than 2 amp conectors and a few wires) along with a wiring diagram and make you own "tray amp" to "sub amp" cable using the connectors in that kit.

Keep in mind, I beleive there are actually 3 connections to that sub amp. One on each side f the amp, and another for the power (if I recall correctly)

If someone already has the black amp with jbl stickers outta their car, maybe they can open it up and snap a photo of the amp and you can compare the inards to your amp's inards I bet it's the same amp, only without that wire soldered or connected inside. If so, you can just solder the wire in and be set.

The other solution would be to get the factory black amp with sub output on ebay... Not sure what it would cost though...

Wiring diagrams are available and I might have some somewheres if you need em... and let me know if you want a picture of the inards of the factory stock amp. I can take mine out and apart and snap a pic of the inards if you need em...but it may take a few days, as I'm in the middle of changing motor mounts, and ball joints; which has priority right now ...

tapping into an amp

You are assuming that you can just tap on to the output of the amp to feed your subwoofer, but I think there is a crossover net work in there that will give you only bass output to the sub speaker. If you tap in any where else,you will get the same sound as any of the other four speakers.that's why you need the JBL amp.

Thats why I suggested looking at them to see...
Theoretically, he could get a crossover from radio shack id nthats the case, probably less than 10 bucks...

But ebay and a stock amp would probably be best combination...

what is an EVTM

T-Bird 88, I have a 92 SC. By the way, what is an EVTM? (is that the car's manual?)

Thank You all for the help, it is much appreciated.

Stephan

Hi, Stephan

Yes the EVTM is Fords Electrical Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual. And Tbird88, I publicly stand here for flogging. There iit is right there, for JBL systems the subwoofer has it's own sub. DUH. I told you I was no stereo expert. From this and Tom Macks post, I am picturing the main amp in the tray being Premium Sound for non CD units and JBL for the JBL cd systems with the separate subwoofer amp on the enclosure. Two different types of amps. The EVTM just doesn't make the distinction of brands except to show the JBL having a separate sub amp that I missed completely. (gotta get the glasses fixed.) Thanks guys.

Re: what is an EVTM

Originally posted by Red Thunder SC
T-Bird 88, I have a 92 SC. By the way, what is an EVTM? (is that the car's manual?)

Thank You all for the help, it is much appreciated.

Stephan
I see that tbirdsc35th pretty much covered everything but I thought I would post a link to an auction for an EVTM so you would know what to look for. They average in price anywhere from $15-$35 but when ya need one they're worth their weight in gold.
You should also do your best to get a copy of the Helms shop manual. They range in price from $20-$50 depending on luck.

Here's the link to a '91 EVTM...
link to a pic of an EVTM

...and here is a link to a '92 Helms manual, about 2-3 inches thick & packed full of info on your car, it's the "bible" for our favorite cars.
'92 Helms shop manual

take care,

'bird

Back