New Most Powerful SCs list **RELEASED**

Bill McNeil

The SCCOA's official listing for dyno results is now available for viewing. A complete list of rules that govern entries to the list is also included. There are seperate lists for both rear wheel horsepower and rear wheel torque results.

For those who wish to be added to the list, please email your results as per the instructions within the official rules.

Thanks to everyone who has already contributed to the list, and to Ron DiPaola and George Davenport for bringing this idea to fruition.

Enjoy!

SCCOA's MOST POWERFUL SCs

Last edited:
On the rules..No alcohol or water injection allowed?...Yet ya can run a front mount intercooler or lets say an eec tuner....Well ok those arte the rules..However,,,,Different types of dynoes can be off by as much as 20 rwh.....So dyno type(brand) should be eincluded..:O)..just my two cents

yea i have a big problem with rule number 6

"Nitrous oxide, propane, alcohol/water injection used on the dyno will not be accepted as a valid submission."

please explain in full detail why an individual can not use these power adders. If your not going to allow that you cant allow this rule 5. "Boring/stroking is acceptable, please list these modifications"

So are 5 speeds allowed to slip the clutch to get a ficticious torque number too?

From looking at the charts of the higher HP auto cars, they're all flashing the convertor and getting an artificially enhanced torque number from the convertors torque multiplication.

Notice the auto charts go way up around 3200-3400 then settle down to a smoother line aroun 3800? It's just the nature of the beast but there's no way a 5 speed can compare torque numbers with a auto being flashed. Auto's have us beat hands down there.

later,
Steve

RULES?

Rules are just definitions made up by people. Not necessarily good or inherently evil. There is NO WAY any set of rules would please everyone in any group.

These rules are very similar to the 1/4" mile times rules. We have still allowed for anyone to submit anything SC 3.8 engine related. It is hoped it will at least become a valuable comparison tool. Certainly won't end any arguments, but still can be of value to the community! It obviously has generated a lot of BUZZ already.

I would hope that most people using the "power adders" would submit runs with the adder turned off and turned on! I sure would like to see that comparison.

Heck, I helped to setup the rules and by spring of '03 they will make my car ineligible for the main list! But, I'm sure people will still like to see the numbers anyway!

im all for the rules, id just like to see a very common and popular power adder allowed into the list of mods to be eligible

Last edited:
all im getting at was for every board/stroked SC, there is probably 15 using N2O/H2O/Propane. its a much much more common mod to put a N2O kit on a car than it is to boar/stroke a motor.

Keith, I don't have those stats, so I really don't know what the ratio would be. It's just that the power adders in Rule #6 may be turned off and some others cannot be as easily disabled. I'd also venture a guess that a lot of rebuilt engines are technically "bored" and should not be excluded from the main list. Some rebuilts are even slightly "stroked" by using a different piston/rod combo than stock!

Also, we are not stopping anyone from using or submitting anything 3.8 SC engine related. It just won't be listed on the main "ranking" list of sorta stock SCs. So go ahead and submit your blown, stroked, nitrous oxided, propaned and water injected beast! We'll list you numbers and you can still show your buddies your are more powerful than all the other cars on the list!

What I really hope for the list is that we can gather better information on what makes that HP/Torque for each car so people can evaluate mods.

I always got lower numbers on all my cars when dynoed before and after when switching from stick to auto. (turbo cars, supercharges cars, nitous cars) As a matter of fact a high stahl will really get the #'s screwy..But ya can always have a most powerful auto as well as a most powerful stick car to solve that argument. WHats most important is that you list all mods..And what was used during that run...Yah..Noone will be 100% happy ever..Its the nature of the beast...But seriously..The type of Dyno you use will have a big impact on the numbers you produce..And that is very important..And of course..The dyno operator can always make the numbers appear more favorable...So....Let the games begin!!.

Last edited:
Well put George. I appreciate your guys effort on this. I think it will be a good source of info in the future. I look forward to submitting both C3H8 Injected pulls and non injected pulls. Thanks.

Thomas

George, I like your idea of charts showing with and without the power adder. I would certainly like to know if it were my car. I just finished doing that with a before and after runs with my new cam. I went from 286 to 319 rwhp and 370 to 390 rwt. I'll pick it up tomorrow and submit the new dyno chart. It would be good to list all the power mods with each car so people can get an idea of what it takes to make a high hp SC.

Keith,

I see merit in what you're saying, but you've got to draw the line somewhere.

...I don't know what you're worried about anyway. Unless you pull a couple of cylinders out of any one of your T-Birds, you can't be on the list anyways?! According to rule #5, you need a car with a motor based on the 3.8L V6.

Regards,

Sean

Mike...WHat cam did you run...I doing heads very soon and am looking at different cam options..Just curious what stats your cam had:)..Thanks

My cam was my original 90 engine cam reground by Comp. They told me that they only had one profile that would fit my cam and it's: .493/.493 lift, 200/204 duration at .050, 114 lobe separation and 114 ICL. It's not that radical a cam and could use a little more duration but it did add 33 rwhp and 20 rwt. They charged me $115 or so last year to grind it. What I was told by Coy Miller and Tommy Higgins who owns the speedshop that did the install is that it's best to get the heads ported first and get the flow numbers then have a cam ground to match the heads. Unfortunately, I lost the paper with the flow data and I'd already had the cam reground so I went with what I had. Not too shabby though. I drove it to the carwash earlier today and it is noticeably faster and easily spins the Michelins X1's in 2nd gear.

Mike,

Very glad to see the new cam get those kind of numbers for you. I know a lot of us didn't figure it would do that much. Shows how much some of us know. :)

I know it's got to make you feel a lot better about all the $$ it cost to get it put in. ;)

I'm really pleased with it. The only problem may be the balancer as it has now been R&R'ed 3 times. I guess I better save up for a BHJ balancer but I've got a spare stock balancer just in case. It doesn't lope enough either. It rumbles really good but doesn't lope enough.

Mike very nice numbers from a cam..Very nice;O)..Im going with a cam a tad bigger then that....How does your car idle / sound now??...:O)

It doesn't lope enough. It rumbles really nice but not much lope. I guess it could use a bit more duration. I drove it to work today, Geez, I couldn't push the pedal to the metal without spinning tires in 1st or 2nd. It even slipped sideways a tad accelerating onto the interstate. Now I'll need some better tires for the street. Since my cats blew out the tail pipes it's gotten pretty loud, too. The car's got a really impressive shake and rumble to it just sitting and idling, I just wanted it lope.

Understanding how to correctly dyno an auto...

If the run is done in the right gear and the convertor is locked, then there is nothing "artificially enhanced" about anything.

BlackbirdSC said:
So are 5 speeds allowed to slip the clutch to get a ficticious torque number too?

From looking at the charts of the higher HP auto cars, they're all flashing the convertor and getting an artificially enhanced torque number from the convertors torque multiplication.

Notice the auto charts go way up around 3200-3400 then settle down to a smoother line aroun 3800? It's just the nature of the beast but there's no way a 5 speed can compare torque numbers with a auto being flashed. Auto's have us beat hands down there.

later,
Steve

Re: Understanding how to correctly dyno an auto...

2vFourSix said:
If the run is done in the right gear and the convertor is locked, then there is nothing "artificially enhanced" about anything.

I may be wrong, but I don't know anyway to keep a SC in 3rd with the convertor locked. Plus, most of those cars up at the top of the list don't have locking convertors anyway. That charts show the 'spring' of the convertor plain as day.

Back