92 A/C conversion to 'proper" R134 (like a factory 134 car)

Peterdroy66

I have a 90 with R12 and it works amazing
My 92' has been converted to the consumer available "R12a" propane? hyrdrocarbon type refrigerant.
This works OK, but nothing like as nice as the original R12.
SO, I know I can do a conversion to R134 in the existing system, however the evaporator/orifices etc are not ideal so -
Has anyone documented and done a conversion of a PRE-R134 car (pre93??) to use the factory proper components of a 94+ R134 system?

Tried to search but couldn't really capture this effectively.

Comments?

My opinion is...you can either do just the valve conversion for a 134a fitting, then go thru the normal evacuation process followed by the appropriate amount of 134a (& oil), or...you can take the extra step of swapping in a modern/more efficient parallel flow condenser*. Of course routine extra steps could involve a new compressor, clutch, dryer and perhaps expansion valve, but I don't think those care which of those two types refrigerant you use.

*A condenser swap has the added benefit of taking the opportunity to install a narrow condenser that doesn't sit in front of the intercooler. Should be several threads here on that process, which I've done to my '90 SC with no issues.

I believe you are correct. The only difference is the color of the AC fittings so they can be properly identified.

Just Realized my 90' which works really well - IS R134a

I did not remember or previously notice but when I went to look this morning having a conversation about this with a Refrigeration guy - my 1990 which cools very well - IS actually R134a.
SO, a simple no brainer to convert my 92' and get similar performance.

PR

Back