New clutch time

SCspeedster

Hey guys, yesterday leaving work my clutch went out while driving home in my SC. The clutch pedal went to the floor and had nothing left in it and I couldn't get it in gear without turning the ignition off. Then I had to put it in 1st gear while at a stop and had my starter push start the car while in gear, then shove it in neutral when approaching a stop. I had to do that afew times to not rear end traffic in front of me until I made it home.

Today I ordered a new clutch and want your guys opinion on if I should do anything else while the trans is out. I don't have the room to do this myself so I have to pay a shop to install it and don't want to miss anything.
What I ordered today from Supercoupe performance is a new Spec stage 1 clutch kit, new slave cylinder and the synthetic trans fluid kit with the friction modifier. Also while the trans is out I ordered a new solid trans mount and the polyurethane trans. outer crossmember bushings. The only thing left that I can think of is to change the rear main seal while its out, even though I have no leaks. Anyone have any other recommendations?
Also I got lucky and finally found a new "Lebra" front cover for the car and installed it. I posted a pic of it in my pics. if anyone wants to see.
Thank you for your help, Bill

Good evening

I would replace the master cylinder and the Clutch Pedal Linkage Bushing. The master cylinder rod is most likely elongated. The plastic bushing is worn. Get the ford bushing

https://www.rockauto.com/info/10/M0782_SID__ra_p.jpg

https://www.quirkparts.com/oem-part...r-shaft-lever-rod-white-bushing-oem-e69z7526a

Does the transmission have "sloppy" shifting? A transmission shifter kit is in order.

https://www.rockauto.com/info/42/917-551-007__ra_p.jpg

Would be a great time to drain and refill the transmission. Don't forget the friction modifier.

https://www.xtremediesel.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/XL3_Motorcraft_web_600x600.jpg

Thanks Sam. Yea, actually forgot to mention I already got a new clutch master cylinder. I expect that to be the problem for my pedal going to the floor like it does, and the clutch was about gone anyways before this. And I got the new fluid and friction modifier on the way with everything else.

The pedal linkage bushing and the shifter kit (prob alittle sloppy shifting atleast) could be installed I assume easily after the clutch is installed? Or should I get these 2 things before talking it in and give them to the shop who will install the clutch?
Thanks again

Ok thanks. I'm going to order the bushing and shifter kit tonight.
Another thing when I got this car it came with some new extra parts 1 of them being a "washer" part # 1L2Z-7Z120-AA. I remember looking it up and seeing it's a washer related to my shifter.. I think? Is that also for play in the shifter? When im at a stop in neutral the shifter vibrates and makes noise, it's annoying.
Thank you

When you say "solid trans mount" are you referring to a urethane type mount or something like a solid aluminum block?

I would HIGHLY recommend NOT using anything stiffer than urethane unless you are also using solid motor mounts. Allowing the motor to move, but NOT the trans is a recipe 4 disaster. Watched a buddy brake 2 trans cases in a drag car b4 he figured it out.... The second spit out the driveshaft :eek:

No I meant got the solid rubber trans mount, oppose to the o.e. fluid filled like our o.e. motor mounts.

Install update

Finally took my SC to have the clutch, clutch m.c., slave cylinder, rear main seal and solid rubber trans mount installed. It all went great except for the cheap clutch m.c. that got installed then had play shaking around the firewall because of how it was made. It was cast aluminum, oppose to the original plastic which I don't care but the clearances where it mounts (turns into place on firewall) were different therefore causing it to move around when the clutch was pressed which was very annoying and which also caused the clutch linkage bushing to keep popping off/breaking... (btw clutch linkage bushing part # 14041 "Dorman" or "Help" section) comes with 5 bushings, 1 being for our cars.
Fortunately I had kept the original clutch m.s. which wasn't bad, the slave cylinder was. Afew days later I reinstalled the original clutch m.s. and had my daughter help me bleed the system.
After that mess was all cleared up, I then changed the transmission outer cross member bushings to the poly bushings offered by Supercoupe Performance, then finally finished it with rebuilding my sloppy shifter.
Clutch feels much better now when driving and also shifts much smoother :)

Last edited:
Back