Temp gauge

the mayce

After a ton of work to fix my 94 SC's overheating problem (replaced timing cover(It was cracked), water pump, and super-stat) I am getting this weird readout from my gauge. When I am driving it will work its way up to normal temp then drop like a rock back to left all the way to the blue. Then from time to time it will come back up to normal just to drop again. Sometimes it will stay in the blue for four or five minutes. I found a slightly melted wire by the thermostat....is the wire shot or is my SC just running ice cold?

Well if the wire is still in one piece it should be ok. My 90 did a similar thing since it jumped around alot when i was driving. I had to clean the tempature sending unit stump were the wire connected. Its right near the thermostat housing. Take small wire brush or a dremel tool with a wire wheel and clean it good and that should fix the problem if it doesnt then either your wire is bad or your TSU is bad.

Hope this helps

hey since we are on the somewhat same subject here.....i replaced my TSU cause it did the same thing, but when i pulled the wire off the little metal bracket thing, you know, that goes around the TSU top....well it broke, it was also very corroded(hopefully i spelt that right), leaving the metal bracket thing on the TSU, and I was wondering if i could just get a wire for the TSU and call it fixed, or do i need a new wiring harness??

Just a thought here...

Just kickin some ideas around here but is it possible that there is some air trapped in the system. When a temp sensor goes dry, they read really low...Did you unscrew that bleed bolt when you refilled the rad.?

Anthony

Last edited:
89SCK@t

Mine did the same when I was resealing the upper 1/2 of my engine. I got a new TSU and an eyelet. Just hooked the eyelet to the exhisting wire and am now good to go. Be careful though because the wire is pretty brttle and will easily become too short and will not reach the TSU. Mine is as short as it can be now.

Back