A/C Accumulator

cougarxr7

Has anyone noticed the accumulators sold today for our cars comes with a Schrader valve and not a pressure switch?
I have yet to look into how difficult to change a valve to switch, if possible.
Any info on this would be great!

Has anyone noticed the accumulators sold today for our cars comes with a Schrader valve and not a pressure switch?
I have yet to look into how difficult to change a valve to switch, if possible.
Any info on this would be great!

Uhhh ...

Not difficult at all.

Pressure switch screws ONTO the Schrader valve, so that you can swap the switch without breaking the seal and venting the refrigerant.

You have to have the O-ring, though; make sure the valve HAS the O-ring or it won't seal properly.

(Did accumulators EVER have the switch included? They didn't in 2010, when I bought Ruby ... )

RwP

Yea they did.
Thanks!
Good to know how it all fits together!

There's a different switch if you've changed to R134a; might want to change if you've gone to R134a.

The R12 switch works, but it'll drop out before the proper point for R134a.

RwP

There's a different switch if you've changed to R134a; might want to change if you've gone to R134a.

The R12 switch works, but it'll drop out before the proper point for R134a.

RwP
Which turns out to be about 21 psi. You can adjust the older switch with a screwdriver. Shouldn't need more than 1/8 turn CCW looking down into the housing. Then just watch the low side pressure with it running; Should draw down to around 21 and cycle. If you go much lower, it MAY freeze up. Depends on humidity. That should give you 38-40 out the center vent.

Thanks for the replies!
Being there are 2 different switches, does anyone have info on where to purchase a 134a switch?
The car was converted by a shop, however that does not mean they changed the switch on the dryer bottle.
I will look into this and see what I find!
Again thanks guys!

"TbirdSCFan, I bought an accumulator in early 2000 and it had a switch on it.
Although I do not know if that switch was for R12 or 134a."

Last edited:
They list a R134a switch at RockAuto; it's pricier than the R12 switch, so you may want to just tweak the current switch.

(Using the RockAuto listing, you can also Google for the R134a switch part number and maybe find it elsewhere.)

RwP

does anyone have info on where to purchase a 134a switch?

When I replaced my compressor, I bought a new stock R12-centric adjustable switch for $9 and set it for 134a.

You can buy a 134a switch for another Ford product, such as Mustang (readily available), but you'll not only pay more, you'll need to buy it's matching connector and wire it into the harness in place of the original.

The Four Seasons 36676 is a R134a calibrated switch; the 35960 is R12 calibrated.

The 36676 is under $19 today at RockAuto, the 35960 under $9.

Motorcraft also has the YH513 as a R12 calibrated switch for $20 at RockAuto; Ford never offered this switch, from the factory, calibrated for R134a.

RwP

Back