Fuel injector interchangability...

hulakai

Update: Correct nozzle type is critical. I was sent single hole nozzle injectors and the SC requires pintle style nozzles to get the right spray pattern and run/idle correctly.

This is related to the "Familiar song" thread but there's been so many dead ends and developments on that thread I wanted to start a new one for this specific topic that MIGHT be my problem in the other thread.

Does anyone have a realiable list (Looking directly at you Tim!) of interchangable part nos for fuel injectors that are KNOWN to work with the SC?

If you want to know why I'm asking, read on....otherwise I'm just trying to find out if Standard Motor Products' injector for the 89 SC is ACTUALLY compatible or if there's a history out there of 3rd party injectors NOT working well.

Thanks in advance...

K

I needed new injectors to replace gummed up ones that were preventing the car from starting after sitting for years. Rock Auto had a closeout on white lable injectors that were listed SPECIFICALLY for the SC/XR7. $30 each. Same price as rebuilding mine. So I bought them and they turned out to be SMP brand. A reputable company in my past experience. I put them in and that's when the car first started since acquiring it.

However, as anyone who has read the other thread knows, it's far from running properly and I'm not getting any fault codes at all. Take my word for it, or read the other thread, that I have swapped out at least one working version of almost every sensor and/or part related to fuel and ignition and even an ECU with no change. Only the BAC and MAF is still original. New belden wires and autolite plugs (AP2544 single tip I'm afraid, but still platinum...please tell me if it's at all possible for the single tip platinum vs double tip to cause a car to not hold any RPM without missing and stumbling, even idle).

So now I'm miserably looking at the new injectors I bought, and wondering if I have to take that all apart again.

Last edited:
Re hashing this old thread, I have looked for anything to point me for an answer to this question too but cannot find anything.
On one of my injectors I accidently broke off most of the pintle cap while uninstalling the fuel rail to replace the regulator and freshen up wiring (very brittle caps). Luckily I saved a complete fuel rail with injectors off my old 92 SC, great shape cleaned up and all spray good.
I did notice however my stock '89 injectors are one single point spray, the '92 injectors have 4 points of spray.
I assume these are compatible on all the early model years (30lb injectors)? The spray pattern and the part numbers were the differences I noticed. They worked great on my 92 SC until blowby killed the car.
Any insight would be appreciated, thank you

Injectors are not where you mis-match or get 'good enough' or close enough injectors.

If you cannot source a set of OEM replacements then factor in a moates quarterhorse to correct the injector parameters.

Single or 4 hole doesn't make a difference it'll all run the same once dialed in properly.

If your going to buy new injectors you might as well just skip all of these older style injectors and go straight to the ford OEM FRPP 80 / siemens deka 80lb injectors from poweraddersolutions. You can use my discount code = my name in all caps to save a few bucks. Be weary where you buy injectors from as most vendors use knock offs.

Oh cool, I was curious about the 2 different injectors I ran into. I believe my '92 SC had the 4 hole injectors, my 89 has the single. Wasn't sure they were both made for the Supercoupes.
I painted some black cause they were quite rusty

Attachments

• IMG_20220703_144902.jpg
    IMG_20220703_144902.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220703_144914.jpg
    IMG_20220703_144914.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20220703_144849.jpg
    IMG_20220703_144849.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220703_144858.jpg