climate control pressure switch bursts

figulaz

SCCoA Member
After the AC was figured out I decide to put the car on jackstands last weekend to swap gtp rotor pack change oil,spark plugs, pull and inspect harness etc. I walk out today and see a oil puddle. Pop the hood and new AutoZone pressure switch burst and pissed out the oil..is this just bad luck or could I have done something way wrong.

If there were a scenario that would blow out a serviceable switch, I'd expect something else would give out first - I'd assume the switch was bad from the start, and see if you can warranty it. I know that means risking a repeat, but it's hard to imagine it was good and just gave out.

Did it just burst/rupture like a hand grenade? Have you removed it and inspected?

Might it just be the o-ring? What color was the new one? Any chance the old one stayed and the new switch meant they were doubled up?

Last edited:
If there were a scenario that would blow out a serviceable switch, I'd expect something else would give out first - I'd assume the switch was bad from the start, and see if you can warranty it. I know that means risking a repeat, but it's hard to imagine it was good and just gave out.

Did it just burst/rupture like a hand grenade? Have you removed it and inspected?

Might it just be the o-ring? What color was the new one? Any chance the old one stayed and the new switch meant they were doubled up?

I didn’t grenade. More like a leak through the top. Kind of like when an oil sender unit starts leaking but this seem a little more violent with oil splattered on the hood and engine compartment

I didn’t grenade. More like a leak through the top. Kind of like when an oil sender unit starts leaking but this seem a little more violent with oil splattered on the hood and engine compartment

Ah, I see, thanks.

Yep, sounds like you just had bad luck w/that one. If you can warranty it, it'd be nice if they'd pay for the wasted consumables, too, tho I doubt that will happen.

Ah, I see, thanks.

Yep, sounds like you just had bad luck w/that one. If you can warranty it, it'd be nice if they'd pay for the wasted consumables, too, tho I doubt that will happen.

Sounds good. I’ll try and return it. I Will not be denied AC this summer!!!

Back