oil in anti-freeze

Motohead

SCCoA Member
I'm getting oil in my anti-freeze on the 1992(see sig for details) but not the other way around the car runs fine and no smoke I bypassed the oil cooler for testing purposes and cleaned out the overflow tank but it appears to still be happening I cant figure this one out any ideas?

Good morning

Is the coolant over flow tank bubbling when the engine is at temperature? What type of head gaskets used? Head bolts or Head studs? Is the intake manifold bolts torque (especially at the two front and rear) within spec?

Haven't seen any bubbling. It has MLS gaskets ARP studs. The intake bolts were torqued during assembly about 25,000 miles ago. I'm stumped on how oil could be getting into the antifreeze and not the other way around especially with the oil cooler bypassed. With blown head gaskets I would expect to see smoke and antifreeze in the oil. I'm not aware of any pressureized oil passages in the head. Maybe the timing chain cover?

Last edited:
Good afternoon

I'm thinking there is oil "wick/wicking" next to a coolant opening due to a compromise intake and or head gasket(s).

The car failed the combustion gas test still runs ok no smoke still no coolant in oil but I have oil in my coolant I'm going to flush it out real good and see if the oil comes back i have the oil cooler bypassed maybe their was still enough oil in the system to re coat the surge tank and fail the test (not sure if enough hydrocarbons in the oil to fail the test) has anyone else experienced oil in antifreeze Thinking of how these motors are put together I cant figure how even a blown head gasket would cause that. Cracked block maybe ?

if it failed the test, time to tear it apart
I get that. I'm concerned that their are other issues besides a blown head gasket. There are no pressurized oil passages in the heads so how is oil getting into the cooling system? Its not just a little either you could take your finger and pull globs of it out of the overflow tank. I wish i had taken photos before I cleaned it out the first time. The car has less than 100 miles put on it since and the sides of the tank are already coated with oil.

Good evening

Do you know what the RA number/ finish of the cylinder head and engine block is? From what I understand this is critical for the MLS gasket to seal correctly.

I Honestly don’t remember I do remember going through quite a bit of searching and coming up with a number which I gave to my machinist when he did the deck and heads Several years ago

oil

Have you replaced the oil cooler piece on the engine or the gasket? That is where my oil leak came from.

Have you replaced the oil cooler piece on the engine or the gasket? That is where my oil leak came from.

The oil cooler coolent lines have been bypassed at the oil cooler(connected together) for about 200 miles have flushed the system twice now with water second flush and the tank dosent seem to have as much oil sticking to it

And the hits just keep on coming

Not to change the subject but I have another issue may be related ok here goes the dash gauges spedo tack oil presssurd and temp have been acting up for a wile Speedo and tack have been internmenty failing during those periods the temp gaguge slowly rises as if the car is overheating the auto lights are also failing and I show low oil pressure a sharp Wack to the top of the dash gets everything working again I figure I have a bad ground in the dash

Back