Tilt steering malfunction

JonS

SCCoA Member
I just noticed that my tilt steering column does not lock. I'm short, so I like the steering wheel all the way down, but without pulling the locking lever I can easily lift the column up. It's also simply drops down to the lowest position without the lever being pulled. It makes a racheting sound both ways as if the locking pin won't engage.

Any ideas? I plan to open up the column and look inside at some point - too hot right now though

Last edited:
Could be the detent spring, pin, rod, mounting screws etc. Might just need to start taking things apart so you can confirm. Begin by removing the 2 piece plastic surround below the steering wheel...see if anything falls out ;)

How many miles on the body?

Unless it's been abused, it should have at least that many more miles in it before it grenades, I'd think.

There is no reason to suspect any abuse. The car is otherwise quite like new. I've purchased a full 95 steering column and will study how that works before I rip into the white bird column

Let's hope it's a simple fix - keep us posted if you can, thanks and good luck w/it.

Ken

Did you ever found out what was the problem? I have similar case I'll have to look into.

I did. Once I got a replacement column, I pulled the various pieces of the dash column off per the maintenance manual. Not too hard a job. The column is attached to the framework of the cockpit by two large bolts above where your knees are. I had assumed the tilt mechanism was shot, but in reality someone in the past had removed the column and failed to torque these nuts on the two bolts on reassembly. They were only on a few threads. The whole column was moving up and down these bolts, about 1-1/2 inches or so, making a ratcheting sound from the threads.

I just torqued them properly and reassembled. Bob's your uncle!

Scary! That thing could have easily come off in my hands on some mountain road!

Good news is:. if you need a steering column I have one for $85 plus shipping - what I paid.

Back