Another ABS question-location of the Hydraulic Pump Motor Relay

steeler80

Time for another ABS question! Everything I've read says that the Hydraulic Pump Motor Relay as well as the Anti-Lock Power Relay is located on the passenger side firewall. However, I can't seem to find anything that looks like the relays. I've included a picture of what is on the passenger side firewall of my Super Coupe. A? m I just missing them? Wouldn't be the first time I've overlooked the obvious!

IMG_20180823_182214.jpg

They should be directly left of those two test connectors in the photos, socketed onto a metal flange on the firewall...perhaps someone messed with them in the past and didn't feel like remounting them and they are laying loose below - look down further with a good light.

I'll see if I can locate a photo - there are either two, or three relays there, depending on the car.

Last edited:
Thank you! I did find them behind several wires. I've gotten the hydraulic pump relay free from the bracket that was holding it to the firewall (a nice little chore) but am having a devil of a time getting the relay to break free from the plug. A lot of this is because I can barely get a handle on the relay and work the tabs holding it. I was getting frustrated so decided to take a break (a lesson learned from several broken parts over the years). Is there something I can spray on the relay and plug to make them easier to separate?

Is there something I can spray on the relay and plug to make them easier to separate?

The tabs are one issue...the connector being snug inside the relay is another. Not sure any spray would help...it's just a snug fit once fully socketed.

I find a small/short flat bladed screw driver with a tip (1/8" or less wide) that will just fit between the body/edge of the connector, right beneath the two tabs/prongs (using the shoulder of one where it meets the connector to lever against)), and the body/edge of the relay, from the side, wedging it in while coaxing the the two tabs up high enough to clear the catch. Push in on the screw driver and wiggle it to force the connector and relay apart. Once it separates enough, the tabs will be past the keeper and you can focus on gaining more ground w/the screwdriver. Should only take an 1/8" or so before you can free the relay. Be careful with the tabs...they're brittle with age and can snap easily.

Relay can be pricey, and I'd not put a used one in except in a pinch. I've seen mine show significant corrosion (one lead is constant hot) in less than 2 years, and simply cleaning that out and applying connector grease cleared things up, at least for a while.

Last edited:
Thank you for the tips! I have gotten the anti-lock power relay out, socket cleaned, and a new one put in. But the hydraulic pump relay continues to be a pain to get. I tried for a while today with no luck. So I sprayed some Blast on it and am going to let it sit for a day before I try again. I will try the screwdriver trick tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back