No love

TBirdSC89

Not sure if this goes in the technical forum but oh well. I read that the man who made the sc was ridiculed and let go (or quit) from Ford for the car, being that it was overweight and too high of price from what ford wanted. I can't wrap my head around a car this good looking back when I was 4 years old being treated as such. It's unlike anything I've found from that era. I thought Ford would've promoted the hell out of this car, if they did correct me I could be wrong. I just find it to be ahead of it's time in so many ways . Any thoughts?

It was certainly ahead of it's time compared to the other domestic automakers....I mean...just look what else was out in 1989! The styling has aged well too....functionally, they've held up really well too.

The bean counters were the problem - not engineering!

Don't forget, Ford had the flagship two-door that couldn't be overshadowed either.

That was a good article @ Sam Jones. I've read some before but that in depth. I read somewhere that the sc was tuned down quite a bit before production. If true, curious what power it would of had

3.8 S/C in Fox body Thunderbird

I thought I read a article once that Ford had the Supercharged version of the 3.8 in development in 1985 for the 87-88 Foxbody Thunderbird to replace the
2.3 Turbo that they had been using in the Turbo Coupe & Mustang SVT, but it wouldn't fit , so they redesigned the air intake system of the 2.3(added a cooler & redesigned the turbo)for 87 & 88. & they shelved the 3.8 S/C until the new chassis came out in 89.
But the article above leads me to believe that it(3.8 S/C) was still being designed at the same time as the new body platform was & it wouldn't have been ready for 87

Last edited:
I have seen photos of a supposed test mule that was a red fox body t-bird with the 3.8SC engine, plus there have been numerous SC engine swaps into fox bodies over the years, so it definitely fits.

Back