Where, which, and how much for a hipo resonator??

sizemoremk

I've been reading about exhaust, and have ported the collectors on my stock manifolds.

I want to either gut or downtube my cats out, and want to replace my reasonator and leave the stock mufflers in place.

Which resonator should I ask for (dementions, in/outlet sizes and such do I want ot use?

I understand magnaflow is the one of choice... but i don't know which one or where to get it from...

More info on the gutted cats vs downtubes would be helpful too.
I kinda want to keep it as stock looking as possible...

Thanks guys!

Not sure what year your car is. But I did this with my '93.

Based on the Exhaust Tech Info article posted by MN12 at:

http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12-techinfo/exhaust/exhaust.htm

The stock exhaust with 8" resonator was used both by the '93 (and newer?) SCs, and also by the V8 Birds. From 94 - 97 the resonator was replaced by a straight pipe for the V8 cars.

I went to Ford and purchased the 8" pipe section for a 94 V8 bird. and replaced the 8"resonator on my SC. Cheap and it fits like..factory.

have fun

Sorry I left that out..mine a 90.

From what I read here, the SC sounds crappy without a resonator...

How does yours sound???? I assume you have stock mufflers....

Well...the move I described won't work for you since you have that humongous resonator from the earlier exhaust.

A very slight increase in resonance is noticeable at low rpms...but its barely more than with the resonator installed....which could by why ford deleted it after '94.

I have cats and stock muffs in place.....

Good luck. Exhaust must be one of the most discussed topics.

On my 89 I had taken out the cats and resonator and it was buzzy...on my 90 I had taken out the resonator put two high flwo cats and dynomax mufflers..And it was great

all i did was cut off my cats and the only comparison i can find is to compare the buzzing/gurgling it makes sounds like an intake-equipped honda hitting its Vteck, only much deeper. freaking hate it. wish i had grabbed the stock cats off the garage floor before i drove off. i would have them put back on if i had them..
ATTENTION ANYONE ABOUT TO REMOVE STOCK 93 CATS. PLEASE HOLLAR AT ME . ILL BUY EM.
i only work 1 day a week, so cant afford too much and definetly cant afford some aftermarket parts.

Back