Ignition Timimg Question.........HELP!

edspringer

My 94 SC appears to have an ignition timing problem. It does not advance the timing like my strong running 90 Super Cougar does. I checked both with a timing light. I have replaced everything on the 94. Crank Sensor, Ignition Control Module, etc. I had mechanics tell me that the ignition has gone into the "limp" mode. That means something is broke and the ignition only functions enough to get me home or to a dealer. Also, I get no codes that tells me something is wrong plus I only get 11 MPG. I'm thinking that the ford dealer, who installed the new long block motor 10,000 miles ago before I became the owner, did not install the reluctance wheel (36 tooth minus 1 tooth wheel) located behind the harmonic balancer in the proper position. From what I can see the reluctor appears to be bolted to the harmonic balancer. Would someone who has a 94 SC look to see where the missing tooth is located with respect to the timing marks on the harmonic balancer? My missing reluctor tooth is at approximately 60° to 70° BTDC. If that is not correct, please let me know ASAP what the correct location is. I would like to verify before I pull the harmonic balancer off.

Ed Springer

edspringer1@aol.com

90 Black Super Cougar 5-Speed, B&M Ripper, 94 blower with 5% pulley (what a kick ass upgrade!), 70MM TB, Headers, underdrive pulleys, no cats with Magnaflow, Magnacores, I/C fan, SCP Fresh Air Inlet, 3:27 gears, Air Bags, 94 Stock MAF.

94 Red SC Auto, Magnacores, 70MM TB, no cats with Magnaflow & turbos, SCP Fresh Air Inlet, 3:73 gears.

Or it might be your Timing chain, did they put a new chain on when your new engine was installed?

Just a thought.

Jeff Bratton

Back