PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Timimg Question.........HELP!

edspringer
11-27-2002, 08:32 PM
My 94 SC appears to have an ignition timing problem. It does not advance the timing like my strong running 90 Super Cougar does. I checked both with a timing light. I have replaced everything on the 94. Crank Sensor, Ignition Control Module, etc. I had mechanics tell me that the ignition has gone into the "limp" mode. That means something is broke and the ignition only functions enough to get me home or to a dealer. Also, I get no codes that tells me something is wrong plus I only get 11 MPG. I'm thinking that the ford dealer, who installed the new long block motor 10,000 miles ago before I became the owner, did not install the reluctance wheel (36 tooth minus 1 tooth wheel) located behind the harmonic balancer in the proper position. From what I can see the reluctor appears to be bolted to the harmonic balancer. Would someone who has a 94 SC look to see where the missing tooth is located with respect to the timing marks on the harmonic balancer? My missing reluctor tooth is at approximately 60 to 70 BTDC. If that is not correct, please let me know ASAP what the correct location is. I would like to verify before I pull the harmonic balancer off.

Ed Springer

[email protected]

90 Black Super Cougar 5-Speed, B&M Ripper, 94 blower with 5% pulley (what a kick ~~~ upgrade!), 70MM TB, Headers, underdrive pulleys, no cats with Magnaflow, Magnacores, I/C fan, SCP Fresh Air Inlet, 3:27 gears, Air Bags, 94 Stock MAF.

94 Red SC Auto, Magnacores, 70MM TB, no cats with Magnaflow & turbos, SCP Fresh Air Inlet, 3:73 gears.

XxSlowpokexX
11-27-2002, 10:26 PM
Silly question but have you checked your knock sensor?

Jeff Bratton
11-27-2002, 10:53 PM
Or it might be your Timing chain, did they put a new chain on when your new engine was installed?

Just a thought.

Jeff Bratton