Motor Trend Magazine issue: 1989 Tbird SC Car of the Year Award

Air2Mud

Does anyone know the exact Motor Trend magazine issue wherein the SC was awarded 1989 Car of the Year? I've got an 89 SC and I thought it would be cool to get a copy of the magazine to add to my file.
Thanks for any clues!

Edit: automatic search results showed up after I posted this. For some reason I could not get the results from the search function when I tried it. Oh well.
The answer I was looking for is the February, 1989 issue (of Motor Trend). I found a pristine copy of that issue on eBay and bought it.

Last edited:
Motor Trend mag

The October 1988 issue of Motor Trend has a red SC on the cover and a ten page feature article on the award. I have this issue.

Car & Driver also did a decent writeup on the SC in a late 1988 issue ( can't recall exact month)

I remember a yellow Ferrari on the cover of that issue.

The October 1988 issue of Motor Trend has a red SC on the cover and a ten page feature article on the award. I have this issue.

Car & Driver also did a decent writeup on the SC in a late 1988 issue ( can't recall exact month)

I just Ebay checked the October 1988 issue of Motor Trend and it has a Yellow ZR1 Corvette on the cover?? Any chance you can pull it?? The one I have is from February 1989 it also has a Red SC on the cover. Wondering if there’s another one. Thanks.

My error on the issue date. It was actually the February 1989 issue. The October 1988 copy I was referring to was the "Car & Driver" issue which featured the 1989 Thunderbird SC.

attached is a screenshot of the Feb. 89 issue cover page /.. sorry about the mixup.Motor Trend Feb 1989 cover 01.JPG

My error on the issue date. It was actually the February 1989 issue. The October 1988 copy I was referring to was the "Car & Driver" issue which featured the 1989 Thunderbird SC.

attached is a screenshot of the Feb. 89 issue cover page /.. sorry about the mixup.View attachment 69333

No worries I love collecting magazines and articles on my cars and just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing one.

1989 Tbird SC Car of the Year magazine articles

Well, I had to dig through several file cabinets to find these, since I knew I had several old magazines with SC articles ,but hadn't looked at them in at least ten years. The one I mentioned below was actually a Road & Track issue from December 1988, which had a good article on the 1989 SC. A yellow Ferrari 408 is on the cover of this issue. (that's what I had initially recalled in trying to find this mag.

The other one I found was a July 1988 Car & Driver issue with the cover title: "SCOOP! 1989 T-BIRD" showing a white SC on the front.

My SC file grew into hundreds of books and mags over the years. Can't trust my memory for this many details any longer. ...Anyway, here's a shot of the covers. cheers~david

Car-Driver Jul 1988 cover 01.JPGRoad-Track Dec 1988 cover 01.JPG

Back