Blend Door Actuator 94+ dash

Melon

SCCoA Member
I posted on the Facebook group, but decided I'd post this over here.

I just changed out the blend door actuator on the 94. I had searched SCCoA and TCCoA and to my surprise, no one mentioned removing the air bag. I lowered the glove box and removed the air ducts and still wondered how the heck I was going to get the blend door out. I'll post up a semi-how to as well. Perhaps this can help someone down the road when they go to change out theirs. It's not as terrifying as it seems, but still a pain since it's still a tight space behind the dash.

First, easy stuff - drop the glove box, remove the HVAC ducting (7mm and small Phillips screwdriver) Then remove the four 8mm bolts that hold the air bag in place - obviously, unhook the battery first - and don't forget to unplug the harness for it. I also pulled out the left side vent. You can take out the right side, but I didn't feel it was really necessary.

The blend door is almost in the middle of the dash, but closer to the passenger side. There are three 8mm bolts that hold it in place. I used a combination of a small ratchet, short extension, 8mm socket (obviously) and 8mm ratcheting wrench. Between those, I had no real issue getting the bolts out. Once removed, it comes out. I pushed it up towards the top of the dash and over dash support pieces and harnesses and out that way. Same way with going back in - keep a hold on it. If you drop it, it can fall far enough to where it's a pain to get it back out.

**Tip** Remember to line up the gear/shaft with the spot in the ducting (or whatever it is) Otherwise, you'll be pulling everything back out to do that. And if you do forget to do, and run the self diagnostic test, there is no code for that... Ask me how I know this.. Also, don't forget to plug the actuator back in as well.

I think the hardest part of the whole thing was the orientation of the gear/shaft/whatever to line up correctly. For whatever reason, I could get the old one to line up easy, new one was a pain. Second hardest part, getting one the bolts to line up in the right spot. The top 2 are easy, the bottom right was a pain. So difficult, in fact I managed to drop the one bolt somewhere and have no clue where it went. So mine is only held in with 2. I found it easier to plug it back in once it was bolted in place.

Once it's in and secure, put the airbag back in - don't forget to plug it back in. Then put the ducting back in with the respective bolts and screw. Then the AC vents, and finally the glove box door.

No, I didn't pull the dash. Yes it was still a pain, but better than spending time pulling the dash. I think it took me an hour maybe? Hopefully this helps someone down the road.

I posted on the Facebook group, but decided I'd post this over here.

I just changed out the blend door actuator on the 94. I had searched SCCoA and TCCoA and to my surprise, no one mentioned removing the air bag. I lowered the glove box and removed the air ducts and still wondered how the heck I was going to get the blend door out. I'll post up a semi-how to as well. Perhaps this can help someone down the road when they go to change out theirs. It's not as terrifying as it seems, but still a pain since it's still a tight space behind the dash.

First, easy stuff - drop the glove box, remove the HVAC ducting (7mm and small Phillips screwdriver) Then remove the four 8mm bolts that hold the air bag in place - obviously, unhook the battery first - and don't forget to unplug the harness for it. I also pulled out the left side vent. You can take out the right side, but I didn't feel it was really necessary.

The blend door is almost in the middle of the dash, but closer to the passenger side. There are three 8mm bolts that hold it in place. I used a combination of a small ratchet, short extension, 8mm socket (obviously) and 8mm ratcheting wrench. Between those, I had no real issue getting the bolts out. Once removed, it comes out. I pushed it up towards the top of the dash and over dash support pieces and harnesses and out that way. Same way with going back in - keep a hold on it. If you drop it, it can fall far enough to where it's a pain to get it back out.

**Tip** Remember to line up the gear/shaft with the spot in the ducting (or whatever it is) Otherwise, you'll be pulling everything back out to do that. And if you do forget to do, and run the self diagnostic test, there is no code for that... Ask me how I know this.. Also, don't forget to plug the actuator back in as well.

I think the hardest part of the whole thing was the orientation of the gear/shaft/whatever to line up correctly. For whatever reason, I could get the old one to line up easy, new one was a pain. Second hardest part, getting one the bolts to line up in the right spot. The top 2 are easy, the bottom right was a pain. So difficult, in fact I managed to drop the one bolt somewhere and have no clue where it went. So mine is only held in with 2. I found it easier to plug it back in once it was bolted in place.

Once it's in and secure, put the airbag back in - don't forget to plug it back in. Then put the ducting back in with the respective bolts and screw. Then the AC vents, and finally the glove box door.

No, I didn't pull the dash. Yes it was still a pain, but better than spending time pulling the dash. I think it took me an hour maybe? Hopefully this helps someone down the road.

Good tips, I hope I don't ever need to do one.

Thanks for the post ... I'm going in. Got a SATC self test code 24 "bad blend door calibration" and lots of cabin heat.

I just finished and it works great for the first time since I owned the car. Nice, cool air. Some comments on the post and procedure:

"It's not as terrifying as it seems, but still a pain since it's still a tight space behind the dash."

Agreed. Took less than an hour.

"First, easy stuff - drop the glove box, remove the HVAC ducting (7mm and small Phillips screwdriver)"

Three bolts and one screw. I took the opportunity to clean the ducts.

"Then remove the four 8mm bolts that hold the air bag in place - obviously, unhook the battery first - and don't forget to unplug the harness for it. I also pulled out the left side vent. You can take out the right side, but I didn't feel it was really necessary."

I did not remove the air bag. It wasn't in the way at all and would have doubled the size of the job, at least. Definitely pulled the negative terminal. No reason to pull the right vent. Only reason to pull the left vent is to see the blend for actuator.

"The blend door is almost in the middle of the dash, but closer to the passenger side. There are three 8mm bolts that hold it in place. I used a combination of a small ratchet, short extension, 8mm socket (obviously) and 8mm ratcheting wrench. Between those, I had no real issue getting the bolts out. Once removed, it comes out. I pushed it up towards the top of the dash and over dash support pieces and harnesses and out that way. Same way with going back in - keep a hold on it. If you drop it, it can fall far enough to where it's a pain to get it back out."

The left two bolts are easy with a ratchet wrench. I got about 30 degrees movement and since the bolts are course threaded it didn't take many turns.

The right screw/bolt was impossible for me until I used my small vice grip to bend the metal bracket blocking it just a little. Then I could just use a socket and short extension to remove and later install it.

Good advice on not dropping it. I kept it plugged in until I had it removed, and plugged it in before I reinstalled it. That way it couldn't fall far.

"I think the hardest part of the whole thing was the orientation of the gear/shaft/whatever to line up correctly. For whatever reason, I could get the old one to line up easy, new one was a pain."

I did not experience this issue. The actuator went right in. I bought a quality replacement from Rick Auto - it looked OEM.

"Second hardest part, getting one the bolts to line up in the right spot. The top 2 are easy, the bottom right was a pain. So difficult, in fact I managed to drop the one bolt somewhere and have no clue where it went. So mine is only held in with 2. I found it easier to plug it back in once it was bolted in place."

GREAT WARNING. I cut three little pieces of plastic sheet and made tiny washers to hold each screw/bolt to the actuator before I reinstalled it. That way the screws/bolts were already aligned with the holes. It only took five minutes to reinstall. Just like the screws on a wall light switch have the thin plastic washer on them.

"Hopefully this helps someone down the road."

It did immensely.

Attachments

• IMG_20190427_113834.jpg
    IMG_20190427_113834.jpg
    983.3 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_20190427_113814.jpg
    IMG_20190427_113814.jpg
    977.7 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Back