PDA

View Full Version : Two questions

BlckbirdSC
11-27-2002, 11:38 PM
First question: Does removing the air intake silencer make SC's more likely to blow head gaskets? I have a 91 SC with a rebuilt engine that has blown a head gasket after 10,000 miles. I was religious on breaking it in correctly, I am running stock exhaust however. Time to go scream at the people that rebuilt my engine.

Second Question: My SC is a 5 spd, and I've starting having problems lately with the clutch linkage that connects the master clutch cylinder to the pedal. The plastic clips inside the eye of that push rod keep breaking, and the rod will not stay connected to the pedal. I have already replace the clutch master cylinder, thinking that might have been the problem, but it reoccured within a week of replacing in the cylinder. Anyone had similar problems? Any suggestions on things that I could try? Thanks in advance.

Thomas A
11-28-2002, 12:15 AM
1.) No, it will have no effect on the HG's. YANK IT!!

2.) That sounds similiar to a problem my brother had with his truck. All he need was a new plastic bushing in the back of the pedal??

Thomas

XR7 Dave
11-28-2002, 01:14 PM
1.) On the headgaskets, I suspect improper rebuild.

2.) On the clutch, chances are that the plastic bushing may be breaking due to wear on the metal pin. Once the bushing wears out, and the rod from the master cylinder starts wearing on the pin, then it will just eat up the bushings. I took my pedal assembly out and welded up the pin and then machined it down to original size.