Grinding sound from rear when accelerating from a stop (particularly uphill).

Rick_Leuce

Hello,
My 1990 Thunderbird SC with a 5-spd sometimes makes a rough grinding sound when I am accelerating from a stop either quickly or going uphill from a stop. The car drives fine, but I figured I should ask a question here on the forums in case this could potentially lead to a serious problem. I've noticed the issue since 2015, but paid no attention to it because we figure it's probably not a bearing (it doesn't make a sound when the car is driving faster than 10 MPH). I think it ONLY makes a sound when I have to rev it more than 2000 RPM at less than 10 MPH. I have never done a burnout in it (or a peel-out) since I bought it in 2015 (I tried a couple times, but backed off once I heard the grinding sound).
I wasn't sure if something in the rear differential or axles could be doing this. I will try to record myself driving the car in the next few days.
Sincerely,
-Rick Leuce

Good morning

Step 1. Jack rear of car and support with jack stands. Check the following:

Step 2. Spindle assembly dust shield. It could be rubbing on the back side rotor. Rotate the wheels and listen for a grinding/scraping sound. Check clearance and make necessary corrections. If clearance is good but the grinding/scraping sound is still present go to step 2.

Step 3. Grab the wheels at the 3 and 9 o'clock position. Push and pull. If you feel looseness and or hear a clunk suspect the rear hub/spindle assembly. Before you go any further a replacement hub nut is required. Remove old nut and inspect the rear hub/spindle, bearing, axle shaft, disk rotor, disk pads, caliper and caliper bracket for damage. Replace damage parts. Again do not reuse the old hub nut. Great video below on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuyJ_JvDaks

Thanks for the fast response. I jacked up the car to rotate, push, and pull on the wheels. I dont feel any looseness and I didnt hear any clunking.

I’ll take my car for a drive later (with a camera recording) and see if the noise happens again.

Back