V8 swap

Its a 91 sc. I found a complete 5.0 out of a 92 tbird and am considering picking it up. Beside motor mounts, flywheel, and daunting task of what needs to happen with wiring I'm hoping to start the project soon. The 3.8 is already out of the car. I have read a ton of info on the subject but have not found anything real in depth on wiring/electrical side of the project. Thank you KMT I have read that post.

91 is easy, all the wiring behind the dash is the same, so it is plug and play. Buy the 5.0 bird donor car. You will want to use the ECM, under hood wiring, and the harness that goes from the ECM through from the firewall. The k-member is the same up through 92, so the 5.0 bird motor mounts will land in the right spot on the SC I-member and bolt right up. If the SC is an automatic, then keep the SC trans (better OD servo) but use the 5.0 flexplate (different balance from SC to 5.0) and the 5.0 torque converter (slightly higher stall speed). If the SC is a 5-speed, then you will need a clutch, flywheel, and starter for a 5.0 5-speed F150, or you will have to have the SC flywheel rebalanced to the 5.0 50oz imbalance.

Mikey, I will keep my eye out forba complete 5.0 car. The best I have found so far is a complete engine with a bunch of wiring sitting on it but not exactly sure what is actually all there. Smoking deal for 250 bucks. I will be retaining the 5 speed that is already in my 91.

Sorry, I misread that and thought you were getting a complete 5.0 92 Tbird for $250. I would wait for a complete car and pass on just the motor. Ideally for you, I would look for one that has a blown trans or was hit in the rear or the side. Hell, even if you find a complete car with a blown motor, that would be preferable to just a motor, since you can use other 5.0’s in its place and just swap over the t-bird specific parts.

i agree, find a whole car instead. its a pain trying to source the harness bits and such. you have to deal with powering the eec, as the sc uses the IIRC, but the 5.0 uses a relay in the main fuse box that the SC doesnt have. The tach is different between the SC and 5.0 cars, so you have to swap that and add a ground. there are some other wiring changes, but its not too bad. I think you need the radiator and fan shroud from the 5.0 as well.

I swapped in a turbo 351w and its a similar process. you can read about it here... http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?139336-Derek-s-Project-GFP&highlight=gfp

The best I have found so far is a complete engine with a bunch of wiring sitting on it but not exactly sure what is actually all there. Smoking deal for 250 bucks.

Try keeping an eye on Copart auctions in your area - complete '90s 'Birds tend to go for a bit less sometimes.

Back