Firing Order

MtDewd

I have heard several different answers to this question.....

What is the correct firing order on the coil pack? Many people tell me the manuals are wrong. I hooked mine up according to the manuals (Mitchel's, Chilton's, Hayens all say the same thing) and it runs and seems to be fine.

Could someone tell me the CORRECT firing order?

Mine is currently hooked up like this:
Looking at the coil pack from the front of the car

The coil pack itself has stamped on it in the yellowish gel

The 5 and 6 are hard to read though and almost look the same.

How does everyone else have theirs?

Thanks

Your 5-6 are backwards on the coil pack it should be 1 and 5 on one end, 2 and 6 in the center and 3-4 on the othre end.

Strange all the manuals are wrong. Could they have made different coil packs for different years?

There can't be different coil packs unless there is more than one firing order for the 3.8L. The firing order (1-4-2-5-3-6) determines how the coil should be setup (thats how I have to think when I'm figuring it out). Each coil fires two cylinders (as in 1+5, 2+6, 3+4) even though only one actually has fuel (Ford claims the other cylinder fired wastes very little energy) If you look at the coil the way I said it and run down the firing order (1-4-2-5-3-6) you'll see why it has to work that way (the coils fire in a loop going from 1 to 3 then to 2 and repeating). Look at it and you should see what I mean.

hhmmmmm

Ok, I went outside and switched them really fast and tried to start it. No start and a few cranks into it, it jolts violently for a sec. Seems to have a heavy load sometimes to during cranking. Switch them back and starts right up, runs with no misses.

The only reason I ask is when I'm accelerating I can feel vibration in the engine, like I can feel every piston firing. Probably just the solid motor mounts I installed. I'm new to SC's and v6's in general so I don't have the feel for them yet.

Now that I reread your first post it sounds like you had it right. The first time I replied I was reading out of the Factory Service Manual. I'm not sure if motor mounts would do that or not from most people I'vre talked to, they isn't that much more vibration. I guess I'll find out once I get mine together.

The vibration isn't bad at all. Sounds like that's just the way it's supposed to be. Just used to a 4 bangin turbo. Guess I need to get to know her a little better.

Back