How much

Tim Moore

Oil pressure should the SC motor have aftrer a rebuild (stock) ?
Also, are the autolite double platinums the right plugs, and what gap is best? thanks

Your oil pressure should be somewhere at around 15-20psi at idle and like 30-40psi while driving. This of course would need to be measured with a real mechanical gauge because our cars don't have real oil pressure gauges. it is a glorified switch. As long as our cars have something like 7psi the gauge will indicate normal. If you are using the factory gauge and it looks low I would say you have a bad oil sending switch. replace it and see if your gauge reads better oil pressure. As for your spark plugs the motorcraft plugs are real good and I also like the Autolite double platinums, not the single platinums. The factory gap always seems to work great for me. if your wires are old i would replace them while you are at it. I like the factory wire set, they just seem to fit real nice. Believe it or not they are not real expensive either. I paid something like $40 at the dealer. I hope that helps.

Spec is 40-60psi hot @ 2500rpm and there is no idle specification. Experience has shown that a new engine should idle at 30psi or higher, and cruise at 60-75psi. My 180K mile motor idles hot at about 40 and cruises at 60-65 over 2000rpm.

Autolite PP's are good. Go with about .050" gap for best performance and longest plug life. Use only the stock replacement type plug wires for best results with the DIS system.

Oil Pressure

Thanks for the reply. They tested the oil pressure after it was rebuilt and it has 80 psi. This sounds a little high. I have not put the engine back in the car yet, so i was wondering what could cause the pressure to be so high and what has to be done to lower it? Thanks

If the motor hasn't been broken in yet, then I wouldn't worry about high oil pressure. Traces of assembly lube etc will result in higher pressures. You can't hurt anything unless it goes up to like 200 or so.

Also, they probably are running straight 30 wt oil in it, so that will also contribute to high pressure.

Well, and the other thing is if the motor is not in your car yet, then they can't have had it to operating temperature yet unless it's on a dyno.

Everything is normal.

Back