Power steering EVO and high pressure fitting question

potshotscott

I went back and read some great threads here in the forums about leaks people have encountered on or near the EVO portion of the PS system. I've got everything pulled out and am ready to pull the pump. I plan to rebuild the EVO itself but my question is about the fitting on the high pressure hose (I rebuilt the pump two years ago but the leak has persisted). I've read several posts that suggest it should feel/seem loose and that is totally normal. Is there anything to rebuild/tighten in that fitting that comes directly out of the EVO???

Is there anything to rebuild/tighten in that fitting that comes directly out of the EVO???

That two-part assembly where the barrel spins on the (relief valve) stub that goes into the port on the pump relies primarily on the internal o-rings to seal, not compression against the pump (or each other) when assembled. It only spins to allow for assembly and perhaps as an additional strain relief during engine movement. A 'rebuild' amounts to inspection, cleaning as required and o-ring replacements, I think.

If there were actionable metal wear, I'd assume it would be where the o-rings fit, but I can't imagine it getting to that point....the o-rings are the wear parts and fresh ones will tighten things up a bit. I'd want to know that the o-rings are fresh and of the correct size, etc. Speak up if you haven't found the part #s, etc.

Of course there could be examples where the two parts have been damaged separate from in-car service that might contribute to a chronic leak, in which case close examination and/or an outright swap to another assembled fitting might be in order.

I installed a fresh pump and o-ringed my EVO last year since I was in that far and I have some spares, being forced to buy a package w/minimum quantity. I was rewarded for my good effort by a leak at the housing, tho, so I need to go back in and have that pump warranty-exchanged, so those spares will come in handy now.

Thanks KMT - I will look to see how I can rebuild that fitting as well. Lots of good part number info in the old thread.

Those part numbers are VERY helpful. I had found another thread that listed them but those diagrams make it REALLY easy for me. Thanks for sending the easy button.

Success! As a side note - Amazon sells the Dorman brand plastic reservoir for about $14.00. It comes with one of the two gaskets that you need reducing the need for the second gasket set (where you throw away most of the other items). Not sure how I did it but I stripped the thread material on one of the three in the pump. Bummed about that as I may need to go back in a few years from now to replace the whole pump....

Back