Correct ECM Identification code for 1989SC with manual trans ?

DNA

After an long search for a fix, it appears the ECM has indeed failed.

(Chattering fuel injectors and random coil firings when engine is not being cranked by starter)

The only reason for any doubt rested on the fact that the engine randomly ran normal for several hours, sometimes several days before lapsing back into its comatose state for days, weeks and months.

The ECM that came installed with this vehicle when it was found in San Diego in 2004 had the following markings; (see image) -- we are being told this is not even the correct unit based on the car's VIN and the ECM part#

Does anyone have any docs or reputable info on what the original ECM part number should have been for the 89SC manual trans ECM ??
Just want to try and corroborate this from another source before I pull the plug on this car.

Attaching an image of the module after I removed it and opened it up for inspection.

Thanks! Failing a resolution at this point, the car will be sent off to the donation center -- P1030630_resize.JPG

All my checks confirm E9SF-12A650-K2B is correct for a 1989 SC w/manual trans.

Short of pulling codes to help decide, why not go with yours being borked and find a known good replacement....?

Generally, the board looks ok from here. I can think of several suspects, otherwise, if you're in a mood to chase them.

Last edited:
That is an obscure calibration code, but that doesn't make it wrong. It is an 89 SC manual trans as stated above. The nice thing is, any 89-90 5spd EEC will work fine. I have some if you are looking for a replacement. The issues you are describing do sound like a failing EEC. It's not common, but it happens. If you want to send the the EEC I can attempt to pull the code out of it and see if there are in fact any differences in the A9X1 calibration that we may be unaware of.

Back