Harmonic Dampener Cover Question

nomind

Are there any ill effects of not running a harmonic dampener cover? I've never had one on the car since I got it (didn't come with it, and a couple other things) and I've been driving it like that for almost a year, until the CPS died on me. I'm not thinking they are related, as it's almost 30 years old at this point, but didn't know if I should try and track one down.

AFAIK, the 2-piece covers do two things...keep out debris, and shield from water. Water shock...cold water on a sensor that is near engine temp in that area - can risk immediate damage. Similar to how the epoxy can crack on a hot ign. coil when it gets wet (ask me how I know x2). Debris too, but it depends on how much off-roading you do ;)

Did you spot any debris built up on the old one and surrounding area? Any metal filings from magnetic action? Any wiring trauma? Outside chance the cover can help protect a sensor if the balancer goes south, too, I guess.

CPS's are on the endangered list now, so anything that helps prolong service life is a good investment. The old one was most likely shelved due to the relative difficulty involved in putting it back on, BTW.

Ken

I can understand that, and there is some crud built up on the old one. Water shock will probably be my biggest issue, but I don't think that is what killed this one. I didn't even realize there was supposed to be one until I started doing reading on troubleshooting/replacing it. Still wondering what other little gems I'm going to find from previous owners. Guess I should probably try and track one down.

It would be better to have one, but none of my 3 have a cover. They have long since cracked and broken off. I've driven DD for 10+ years without with no issues. :cool:

Back