Reusing A/C evaporator and expansion valve questions

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
So I have some AC work in the line for my 35th and my 95. I'm gathering the parts to do a full replacement for the 35th: condenser, dryer, lines, maybe compressor. However, I'm frowning upon replacing the evap because it appears that the only way to replace it is by dropping the dash. Not really wanting to do that. I browsed and it looks like people have had good results just flushing it out thoroughly when doing AC work. I just wanted some feedback from people who have done AC work and see if ther are any big issues just flushign and reusing the evaporator.

Also, I know I"ve seen the expansion valve in my 94+ cars...but I don't recall ever seeing it on early 89-93 cars. Do early SC's have expansion valves?

Thanks!

Also, I know I"ve seen the expansion valve in my 94+ cars...but I don't recall ever seeing it on early 89-93 cars. Do early SC's have expansion valves?

Thanks!

It's an orifice tube, and you have, you just don't realize you have.

It's in the liquid line, right about where it runs against the front "frame rail".

I'd replace that whole line.

I'd ALSO get that evaporator pressure checked; it'd be a real pisser if you charge it all up just to discover that it leaks.

RwP

It's an orifice tube, and you have, you just don't realize you have.

It's in the liquid line, right about where it runs against the front "frame rail".

I'd replace that whole line.

I'd ALSO get that evaporator pressure checked; it'd be a real pisser if you charge it all up just to discover that it leaks.

RwP

Ahh...gotcha. The new lines on early cars come with the orifice tube integrated in the line, if I recall correctly. So I should be good here since I'm getting a brand new line, hopefully OEM.

So the pressure check...would that be something an AC shop would do?

If the system is still closed up, you might want to pull a vacuum just for grins to see if there are any gross leaks, etc. That could help you decide if you want to dig deep, perhaps, and it's something a shop could do fairly easily, it would also allow them to recover any freon still in the system that might otherwise be lost to the atmosphere, helping you prepare for it being torn down.

My Anny was converted to 134a before it came to me, but I took the system down twice...once to install a narrow width condenser, and then again to install a fresh compressor w/clutch. With approx. 100k on the car, those were the only major parts I replaced. Both times the system held vacuum and performed on the gauges, with 44° out the center vents. I do lose freon over several months, however, but only a small amount where a quick top off brings the system back where I want it. That's an easy process, compared to pulling hard-to-get-to components, so until the system craters, I'm taking the lazy man approach ;)

Last edited:
If the system is still closed up, you might want to pull a vacuum just for grins to see if there are any gross leaks, etc. That could help you decide if you want to dig deep, perhaps, and it's something a shop could do fairly easily, it would also allow them to recover any freon still in the system that might otherwise be lost to the atmosphere, helping you prepare for it being torn down.

My Anny was converted to 134a before it came to me, but I took the system down twice...once to install a narrow width condenser, and then again to install a fresh compressor w/clutch. With approx. 100k on the car, those were the only major parts I replaced. Both times the system held vacuum and performed on the gauges, with 44° out the center vents. I do lose freon over several months, however, but only a small amount where a quick top off brings the system back where I want it. That's an easy process, compared to pulling hard-to-get-to components, so until the system craters, I'm taking the lazy man approach ;)

The narrow condenser is aftermarket, correct? Not OEM? I know it fits in the original place and has OEM fit...but I can't remember if it was an aftermarket piece...or just that from the later model SC's.

Good call on the vacuum test...buddy if mine has become quite versed in AC systems, so he has a vacuum pump and can probably do it for me before I start tearing stuff out.

Search here on the topic, shout if you come up empty.

A narrow width condenser mod on the SC, basically matching that of the radiator, instead of full width (apparently Ford just used the stock bird unit...low hanging fruit, I suppose), unblocks the airflow & removes dispersed heat that would normally come away from the condenser, into the intercooler.

This mod also has the benefit of modern condenser design such as parallel flow, as I recall, so what you lose in surface area is made up by increased efficiency. Took advantage of a group buy years ago. I only had to do minor tweaks to install on my car. I also recall chatter about using a Bronco II condenser.

Last edited:
Search here on the topic, shout if you come up empty.

A narrow width condenser mod on the SC, basically matching that of the radiator, instead of full width (apparently Ford just used the stock bird unit...low hanging fruit, I suppose), unblocks the airflow & removes dispersed heat that would normally come away from the condenser, into the intercooler.

This mod also has the benefit of modern condenser design such as parallel flow, as I recall, so what you lose in surface area is made up by increased efficiency. Took advantage of a group buy years ago. I only had to do minor tweaks to install on my car. I also recall chatter about using a Bronco II condenser.

Ah yes, the bronco unit rings a bell. I'll have to do some re-reading. The updated tech sways me in that direction, but I'm trying to keep OEM parts on the 35th where possible. Car doest get beat on at all so adding flow to the IC would be nice...but not required :).

As always, thanks for the input my friend ;). A couple big maintenance jobs awaiting the 35th including re-doing the entire AC system.

And thanks for the input Ralph.

Back