PS rack pressure and return line teflon O-rings

onkelmicke

I'm trying to put the PS lines and rack fittings together but I need the new white teflon rings that go onto the outside threads of the 2 nipples respectively.
Where to get them?

_20190509_214447_b.jpg
_20190509_214447_a.jpg

On the high pressure line, there are two sizes of the square teflon o-rings, depending on which end of the hose, available from your local Ford dealer.

388897-S (smaller diameter) rack end
388898-S (larger diameter, slightly thinner) pump end

Can be tricky to install...suggest soak in hot water to soften, then carefully install on fittings and wait for them to return to original size before installing line/fitting back into car).

Rubber o-rings from the dealer (bag only so you pay for several) for the EVO:
384975*S94 (pkg of 10)
391032*S (pkg of 4)
387571*S100 (pkg of 10_

Additional rubber o-rings are in a power steering rebuild kit from a parts house.

Last edited:
Yeah there are two different seals I need to connect to the rack I believe,

1. Pressure line tube to rack (that would be 388897-S then)

2. Rack to return line tube (not the same size)?

Last edited:
2.) Don't know, sorry. Should be either/or is my guess, but when you go to the dealer, they will be able to tell you if it's one of those two, or yet another size.

Those teflon o-rings were less than USD$2 each. I buy 3 of each and have spares should the first try go wrong ;) Keep the receipt and return the ones you don't use.

OK, will be looking out for them.

Problem with eBay is shipping, any item is at least $25-30 thru the global shipping program.

From anywhere in the US when processed thru eBay global shipping program, $25 or more per item. If I buy 2 items I pay shipping twice. On top of that there are the atrocious import charges based on total cost, that is including shipping... That's globalism for you.

Regular USPS is another matter. It could be sent in an envelope and cost very little. But that's not the eBay way.

Last edited:
Not to totally derail your thread, but I disagree on the Ebay shipping program. I have used it to ship things all over the world at usually 1/2 the cost of regular US mail. The problem with the program is not Ebay, but rather the seller and how they set up their preferences. Some sellers literally add in a "packaging" fee to their shipping estimates also. One thing though is that you will have to pay taxes on the actual cost vs. having an individual re-evaluate the package value for you. I kinda hate USMail anyway. They charge tiered rates so Amazon pays a tiny fraction of what a retail customer pays. But don't get me started. lol

I am still unable to identify the return line rack to tube teflon seal.
Nobody I have spoken to thus far has a number on that one, so it's not easy trying to find one.

I am now convinced the parts numbers for the rack to elbow tube connections seals are the following:

Pressure line to rack teflon seal 388897-S
Pressure line to rack rubber o-ring 388748-S

Return line to rack teflon seal 388898-S
Return line to rack rubber o-ring 388749-S

I am now convinced the parts numbers for the rack to elbow tube connections seals are...

Looks like it, yes.

• Hi Pressure Hose to Rack (rubber, small)
- Ford #388748-S,
Danco 96722 #5 3/8" OD x 1/4" x ID x 1/16" diameter

• Hi Pressure Hose to Pump (rubber, large)
• Low Pressure Hose to Rack (rubber, large)
- Ford #388749-S,
Danco 96723 #6, 7/16" OD, 5/16" ID x 1/16” diameter

PM sent.

Posting the NAPA part number in the event it benefits anyone in the future.

NAPA still has the Teflon o-rings for the power steering rack. Both o-rings are included. The PN is 601-1364. $4.29

I've used this part number several times over the 20+ years of ownership.

Back