Transmission crossmember

onkelmicke

I changed out the rear engine mount at the transmission crossmember. It wasn't broken but since changing the front ones that were broken, it's still 30 years old...
Anyways someting else broke when I put it together. The crossmember has the cup that the rubber mount screws into as a separate piece riveted to the actual crossmember.
The big rivet (LH on the car, but to the right on the photo) fell out, and the two smaller rivets on the opposite side seem very weak and loose.
Strange thing to have such weak fasteners next to the massive mount bolt, making it fail. I wasn't aware of this, is it a common problem? What is usually done about it?
I put a bolt and nut thru the hole for now, but I fear the other rivets are close to failing too.

_20190519_210327_a.jpg

The part you are referring to is just a damper, and it's not really held in place by the rivets, they are just there to keep it together during assembly. It "floats" in place until you tighten the nut. If you look closely the cross member itself backs up the slotted opening in the damper. That box shape is full of lead shot for the purpose of dampening NVH, nothing more.

Back